How Judging Actually Works In MMA

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by randumo24, Aug 5, 2018.

1. randumo24

randumo24 Blue Belt

2. Locoo2

Locoo2 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

cool link, appreciate it
    <33>

randumo24 likes this.
  3. 2004 account

2004 account Supporting real mma

A fight should be a fight and damage (real significant strikes) should be top priority when applying scoring criteria.

Everything else is pure subjectivity and takes away from the real purpose of a fight.

People who want a truly clean and transparent sport know this.

Guardian MMA and Toco like this.
  4. randumo24

randumo24 Blue Belt

Not that I can really say who won the fight as it was so close, but those are how the rules work.

Also, I can't blame most people for not knowing this, as it seems even a lot of fighters don't seem to know this. For example, we all saw Joanna try to say she won her fight with Rose in their 2nd fight with Rose because she lead by plenty in significant strikes. However, anybody who watched the fight knows that Rose dominated in damage and when you read those rules now know as the rules score as effective strikes. Rose had many more head strikes, and even more than just the lead in head strikes were hard head strikes.

It's even easier to know that she won that fight easily when you read those rules and know how judges are supposed to score fights. Plenty of people questioned, why was the fight scored 4-1 instead of 3-2. Go rewatch the fight and now you will be able to see it, especially if you watch without the commentary.

5. randumo24

randumo24 Blue Belt

The real purpose of a fight is to try to finish your opponent. These are professional fighters, not amateurs. The person who's going out there to try to actually win the fight should absolutely be rewarded, rather than the person who's trying to pitter-patter their way to a decision. It's not all that subjective to see who's trying to put some power behind their shots and using stronger punches and kicks, rather than weak shots that would never finish a fight.

For example, unless have the kind of power behind your leg kicks that can actually finish a fight, cumulative damage leg kicks that are just designed to slow down your opponent over time shouldn't really count for much. What they should be used for is to slow down your opponent so you can try to go in for serious damage when your opponent is weakened, not to try to "out point" your opponent because MMA is not amateur kickboxing. It is quite transparent when you know the rules.

6. aerius

aerius Black Belt

That's how the official rules say it's supposed to work.

Problem is most of the time it works more like this:
    [​IMG]

fractal, Spath, MPD-Psycho and 4 others like this.
  7. Ottawaguy

Ottawaguy Gold Belt

It’s almost impossible to remove the subjectivity when judging is involved.

FireKidWS and Big McLargeHuge like this.
  8. genecop

genecop Red Belt

I think most people know how judges rule, it’s just that we disagree with the parameters..the fight metric should play a role...often control with no damage is bullshitte..

9. Oshime2

Oshime2 you were too beautiful for this world

Sherdog: where posters complain about point fighting then use number of strikes landed as proof of winning a fight.

10. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Black Belt

Ok i hear u on the stats part..but mma judging as you showed goes in order effective striking first then grappling if striking is close or even..

Dj was more effective from multiple ranges with multiple strikes and was the more effective striker in rounds 1,3 , and 5...therefore he wins...henry only took 2 and 4 with his grappling...

So stats back up the judging criteria of effective striking..thats why there posting it.

So um.. Dj won...both by the judging criteria youve shown and the stats...

Dj got screwed confirmed

11. randumo24

randumo24 Blue Belt

I agree there's definitely a case for DJ winning that fight. It was definitely close, so I don't disagree with a split decision. Not great for a champion to lose their title on something so close though, as the general theory is you have to beat the champion.

FireKidWS likes this.
  12. Toco

Toco Steel Belt

you know cejudo tried zero times to finish MM, right? yes, intent to finish should be first, but followed closely by damage

13. Brom Bones

Brom Bones Green Belt

I know the rules. Have downloaded the pdf and read it before. I thought MM won the 5th and the fight. But I do agree there's a lot of ignorance about how a fight is scored.

14. GBJohn

GBJohn Green Belt

How do you objectively judge damage? Appearance? As has been mentioned many times, some fighters mark up easily, while others show little to nothing on their faces even after a savage beating.
    Unfortunately, judging will always be at least somewhat subjective.

FireKidWS likes this.
  15. The Bard

The Bard Brown Belt

Yes, one effective strike can, in theory, win the round for that fighter, even if his opponent landed 100 strikes.

Only effective striking is scored. "Effective" = had an effect on the other fighter. Damaged him, made him back up, made him change his approach, knocked him down, etc.

Ineffective strikes are not scored. A lot of Sherdoggers have repeatedly failed to grasp this concept. Condit fans were TERRIBLE about it after the Lawler fight. I have an open invitation to all Condit fans to find five strikes from that fight that Condit landed that had an effect on Robbie.

ANIM4L likes this.
  16. randumo24

randumo24 Blue Belt

I'm aware he didn't try to finish him much, at least he didn't on the ground. He did throw some hard strikes standing, but landed very few of those.

I probably would have scored the fight for him in the 5th too, but it was so close that it comes down to the judge on how much you value the takedown. Not much of a difference in damage done.

No, you watch the fight. You look how hard they are throwing strikes and how cleanly they are connecting. Obviously head strikes are the most valuable, as they are the most likely to end the fight.

17. GBJohn

GBJohn Green Belt

Watching the fight and seeing how hard they are throwing and how cleanly they are connecting is a subjective method of judging. I asked how one would objectively judge damage. I don't think it's possible, honestly.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  18. randumo24

randumo24 Blue Belt

It's honestly not usually that hard to tell, especially for judges who are paid to do it.

19. HaikenEdge

HaikenEdge Rationality will win the day.

Nobody knows how judging actually works in MMA, because half the judges don't even know how the rules work (Hi, Cecil Peoples & Adelaide Byrd).

aerius likes this.
  20. boss429

boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

Yeah, I thought DJ won a super close fight but then someone posted the fightmetric states to prove DJ was robbed and after seeing them I agreed that Henry was the right choice, lol.

This is one of the few examples of the Judges scoring a fight perfectly based on how they are written. The other great example and a fight I think should have been used as a teaching aid for prospective judges was Aldo vs Edgar 1.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  21. Fergelmince

Fergelmince Brown Belt

When judging a fight, effective striking > significant strikes.

22. Jack Reacheround

Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Judging actually works by having old boxing judges, who don’t know shit about MMA, scoring the fights. Also, fucking Octagon (tm) control is weighted much too heavily. If you’re walking forward but eating counters the whole time, you are not controlling the Octagon (tm).

This is not commentary on the MM/Cejudo fight. I didn’t even see it. Also, I’m pretty sure if you use the word “octagon” in any facet of life, Dana can sue you. So be careful out there guys.

L0ki likes this.