How it is possible to sleep belly up?

How is it healthier if you have back pain (serious question)? I used to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees when my back was really bad.

Still a side sleeper these days, but I find supine or prone mess with my airway too much to get comfortable.
I guess it depends on the injury too. By sleeping on the side, you're putting all the pressure on 1 side. I guess that can help alleviate some pain or pressure if it's a 1 sided injury. But for something more central it is better to sleep on the back to spread the pressure more evenly.

I was told to sleep on my back with a pillow or something under my feet. This way it helps alleviate all the pressure. You know those "zero gravity" massage chair? Kind of like that.

It is just better in general to sleep on back. It helps with scoliosis and keeping your back straight etc.

For me I can't understand how anyone can sleep belly down. I lie onto my back and pass out within seconds. Then the tossing and turning begins for the rest of the night.

Same way that I do. I can't sleep on my back, that's how you lay in bed while watching TV or reading a book. But when it's time to sleep I have to flip over to get shut eye.

Same here. Once my tv is off, bam - rolling over. Also, I'll snore like a demon while on my back.

I have back problems so I love to sleep on my back. I'll shift round side to side throughout the night but spend most of my sleep like I'm in a coffin.

Sleeping on my back is my neutral sleeping position. Although I'll toss and turn during the night.

I never cared for sleeping on my side. Every time i tried it is I never could really find a comfortable way toj do it where I didn't lay with my body on top of my arm. No more if I put the arm behind the body or raise it up above the shoulders it's never comfortable that way.

Laying on your belly but at a slight tilt with one knee up with that sides arm pointing up while the other arm pointing down.

I've never been able to sleep on my stomach. Feels like I can't breathe.

I start my sleep flat on my back every night, sure many times I move to side position during the night but many many nights I wake up still flat on my back, didnt know this was such an unusual thing to do :(

I probably sleep on one side more, and possibly as a result, that shoulder feels loose or almost dislocated and muscle sore. I realized it's not as flexible as the other shoulder since I can't scratch enough of my back with it as with the other.

I can't sleep on my back. And the very few times I have, I woke up with my arm under my head with the circulation completely cut off. It's freaky waking up with a dead arm, especially the first time.

The part about the dead arm is true. I've woken up like that a few times and each time, in my half-awake state, I start freaking out a little and worry that the circulation was cut off for too long and now my arm is fucked forever.

Back