How is this bag setup?

Skammunist

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just bought a 100 lb Everlast bag (for $20 on Craigslist, lol) and was wondering if this setup sounds stable.

I am planning to set the bag up in my garage. I will drill a hole into one of the garage rafters and insert an eye bolt. I will then attach a heavy bag spring to the eyebolt, with the bag's swivel chain connected to the spring. So it will look something like this: ceiling rafter > eye bolt > heavy bag spring > swivel chain > 100 lb bag.

What do you guys think of this setup? Will the bag be supported by a single ceiling rafter, or is extra support required? How much does a swivel chain and a heavy bag spring actually reduce tension on the ceiling?

My main concern here is the garage roof, and not the bag, haha.

I have never hooked my heavy bag on my ceiling. I used the hanger ( i don't know the exact name) which you drill attach it on a wall, then hang the heavy bag from the wall mount.
In the past i went to a local boxing equipment store and asked about the "ceiling hookup".
The owner said ceiling hook up can be done by something like an eye bolt (i forgot the exact name) but it can only hold upto 70 pounds. So i bought the wall mount hanger instead. Sorry for my bad english. I am not a native. :) Just my 2 cents.

I've considered getting a heavy bag stand or a wall mount but I need room to practice my kicks.

Back