How is the UFC making money?

They keep more of the PPV now that they don’t have to give half of it to cable service providers and run it on their own service with espn.

and adds

they are losing the live gate, which is significant for the smaller cards but for a bigger card like this weekend; the PPV revenue dwarfs the live gate.

and based on what has been released, if you believe the PPV #s, their PPVs are selling very well.
(A lot of competition of things to do Saturday night is shut down or severely limited by restrictions)

thumb.aspx

It's a serious question.
Everybody and their mother has pirate links to not pay for ESPN, let alone buying PPVs, they have no money from fight attendance either, where does all the money they need to put up events on an almost weekly basis come from?

Obviously:

I don't know, the UFC seem to ignore all the financial advice they get from us Sherdoggers, yet they still function. It's a real puzzle.

They make money from their ESPN deal, I wish I had the sources to quote but it was awhile back, someone had let out that the UFC needed to put on a set number of shows through the ESPN deal to fulfill their contract/deal. Which is why Dana went mental last year trying to put on shows.
All and all it’s why you don’t see Dana hustling for PPV numbers like before, as you say most people stream. That’s why he hasn’t been hustling to sell every card, he can put out crap like last week and still get paid regardless.

I don't know any of my buddies who has UFC merchandise though.
And half of my buddies are hardcore combat sports fans...
Agree with the other things though
Well there's a reason why the matchups that the "hardcore" fans want never happen. You "hardcore" fans don't pay for shit. You just steal from the fighters.

Meanwhile "casuals" are putting their money where their mouth is. We say we want Conor vs Dustin III for the title, and we're not just full of talk; we're willing to put our money where our mouth is. And we pay for the product, and so they listen to us. We're much more invested in the sport than you "hardcore fans" are. How casual is that?

The ESPN deal pays them money regardless of PPV numbers as long as they have a certain # of events per year.

That's why Dana was desperate to put on events last year, no events = no payment from ESPN. He put on the events and got the $$$. The live gate and PPV are very secondary to the ESPN payout.

Don’t know and don’t care . As long as they keep putting out fights then that’s all that matters

I am pretty sure that the UFC mainly makes money from the marketing residuals from the condom depot shorts

Condom Depot literally built the UFC

They are not thats why they're all of a sudden releasing everyone. Rumble, JDS, Overeem, Yoel, Anderson would have never been released...

They are not thats why they're all of a sudden releasing everyone. Rumble, JDS, Overeem, Yoel, Anderson would have never been released...
They're consciously keeping pay below 20%. And not just pay, but all athlete expenses. So that's bonuses, insurance, etc. Shit, for all we know maybe it includes the Performance Institute (I could see someone calling that an "athlete expense".)

And they plan to cap it at 20% no matter how high revenue gets. It's well documented in the class action lawsuit. Internal emails discussing this plan were found during discovery.

Here's a few different sources if you want to learn more. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ufc+20%+lawsuit.

Back