How is the buzz for boxing on CBS in the US?

dont even know what tailored trends is till now. and naw it wasent. its on worldwide and my phone app cant change the area trend so its always on canada. both had cbs boxing related trends

Maybe there's a difference between twitter trends map and regular twitter trends. I always watch the map to see what's coming up. However, when I log into my twitter account I did see a different trend list on the left hand side which had Showtime boxing in it. Maybe the twitter map shows stable trends while the other shows rising trend IDK

meh i dont know. honestly i didnt watch the whole thing or the beginning cause i had to train. got the back in time for the last bits. from the what ive been reading on twitter facebook message boards, the broadcast was a win. good for cbs, much better than strikeforce lol. Showtime boxing has been very fan friendly for the last year

Maybe there's a difference between twitter trends map and regular twitter trends. I always watch the map to see what's coming up. However, when I log into my twitter account I did see a different trend list on the left hand side which had Showtime boxing in it. Maybe the twitter map shows stable trends while the other shows rising trend IDK

"Boxing does OK. Boxing, on CBS for the first time in 15 years, drew a respectable 1.3 overnight Saturday -- and retained 90% of the audience from a Butler-Purdue basketball game that was its lead-in."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bc-peyton-manning-boxing-cbs-fox-nbc/1774825/

Very surprised by that as I think that puts it somewhere near the 2 million mark if I'm not mistaken. Figured it would be lucky to do half of that.

I agree with the new breed of Boxing fans, this was a total disaster, Oscar should be ashamed of himself for destroying Boxing's momentum.
Sport will never recover.

more than what they deserved for such a horrible card

more than what they deserved for such a horrible card

This is what Meltzer said after the UFC on Fox earlier this year. Only posting because the rating is similar. Assume the total viewer number is similar as well;

"The fast national numbers are in for last night's show and it totaled 2.25 million viewers. It should be noted that this is a number that measured what was on from 8-10 p.m. on all the FOX stations, which means on the West Coast, it measured whatever the station aired in that slot. Some stations aired a replay of the fights and many aired other programming.

But no matter how you slice it, the number was very bad. That number would work out to a rating in the 1.2 or 1.3 range, horrible for first-run network programming. With the West Coast, the number could rise. The first show rose about 19% but the second show didn't rise at all from the original number, so we're looking at a final number probably between a 1.2 and 1.6.

The 1/28 show did a 2.6 rating and 4.7 million viewers."

Based on Melzter's writings here, it looks like the CBS show did in the range of 2.3 million.

This is what Meltzer said after the UFC on Fox earlier this year. Only posting because the rating is similar. Assume the total viewer number is similar as well;

"The fast national numbers are in for last night's show and it totaled 2.25 million viewers. It should be noted that this is a number that measured what was on from 8-10 p.m. on all the FOX stations, which means on the West Coast, it measured whatever the station aired in that slot. Some stations aired a replay of the fights and many aired other programming.

But no matter how you slice it, the number was very bad. That number would work out to a rating in the 1.2 or 1.3 range, horrible for first-run network programming. With the West Coast, the number could rise. The first show rose about 19% but the second show didn't rise at all from the original number, so we're looking at a final number probably between a 1.2 and 1.6.

Based on Melzter's writings here, it looks like the CBS show did in the range of 2.3 million.

My highest hopes for this card were to match the lowest UFC number just so I could say a big UFC event couldn't match a boxing prelim. Looks like I can do that now.

My highest hopes for this card were to match the lowest UFC number just so I could say a big UFC event couldn't match a boxing prelim. Looks like I can do that now.

Haven't the UFC and FOX been embarrassed enough by those numbers?

Haven't the UFC and FOX been embarrassed enough by those numbers?

No they're neck and neck with the Avengers now.

Or am I getting my wires crossed?

at least its better than NBC.

Cant believe I actually tuned in to watch Zab Judah spar with a guy who looked like he never fought in his life

No they're neck and neck with the Avengers now.

Or am I getting my wires crossed?

No, I think you got it right, Croz, although you did forget to mention that the UFC crushes the Avengers in that key 4 to 11 year old demo around Christmas time.

"Boxing does OK. Boxing, on CBS for the first time in 15 years, drew a respectable 1.3 overnight Saturday -- and retained 90% of the audience from a Butler-Purdue basketball game that was its lead-in."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bc-peyton-manning-boxing-cbs-fox-nbc/1774825/

Very surprised by that as I think that puts it somewhere near the 2 million mark if I'm not mistaken. Figured it would be lucky to do half of that.

Shit, not bad for 1pm. Im actually kinda surprised. Especially at the fact they retained 90% of the bball game. That number right there (90%) shows there is interest in boxing.

Now put on a name that at least most hardcore fans have seen. Even the most hardcore fans barely knew Santa Cruz or have seen him more then a fight or two.

I can only imagine what the numbers could have been if they put Angulo on there.

Boxing was on CBS this past weekend? HAHA wtf. Had no idea. None of the guys at the gym even mentioned it. Guess it was completely overshadowed by Khan/Molina and Nonito's fight.

Shit, not bad for 1pm. Im actually kinda surprised. Especially at the fact they retained 90% of the bball game. That number right there (90%) shows there is interest in boxing.

Now put on a name that at least most hardcore fans have seen. Even the most hardcore fans barely knew Santa Cruz or have seen him more then a fight or two.

I can only imagine what the numbers could have been if they put Angulo on there.

Yeah, it looks okay on the surface considering the time slot and the fight they put on. But not so good when you look at the demographioc breakdowns; 0.1 in the 18-34 demo. 0.2 in the 18-49 demo. And a 1.1 in the key 50+ demo. Safe to say that a whole bunch of old farts laid down for their afternoon nap and simply forgot to turn the channel after the basketball game was done thus inflating the ratings a bunch and missing all those Cialus commercials which ran between every round. Then again, just imagine what the rating would be in that key 50+ if all those grandpas weren't forced to take their grandchildren to the afternoon showing of The Hobbitt.

Yeah, it looks okay on the surface considering the time slot and the fight they put on. But not so good when you look at the demographioc breakdowns; 0.1 in the 18-34 demo. 0.2 in the 18-49 demo. And a 1.1 in the key 50+ demo. Safe to say that a whole bunch of old farts laid down for their afternoon nap and simply forgot to turn the channel after the basketball game was done thus inflating the ratings a bunch and missing all those Cialus commercials which ran between every round. Then again, just imagine what the rating would be in that key 50+ if all those grandpas weren't forced to take their grandchildren to the afternoon showing of The Hobbitt.

Not going to pretend that I know everything about ratings, but the whole demo thing is blown out of proportion. People grow up and watch different things. The most important number is the average viewer, it doesnt matter who that viewer is. All that changes is who is paying for the commercial space. If the numbers are always good now or 50 years from now, what good is that 18-49 demo? It didn't really mean shit did it?

I think that's especially true for fight sports, when the cyclical nature of the sport is based off of who is fighting. Let's face it. Most people (casual fans) are watching for the name.

The whole demo number is a basis for the future, but like I said, what does that number matter if say you got 7m viewers over 50 watching now and 50 years from now you are still getting 7m viewers over 50. People change what kind of shit they watch all the time, and that would be especially true for a fight sport, where the popularity is based off of what guy is fighting.

Bottom line is the number that matters now is avg viewers. That's most important right now for the money. If that's always good it doesnt matter what the demo is.

Steve Kim said someone who knows about ratings said it's higher than anything HBO and Showtime have done all year. In boxing only I assume.

Are those demos real? It's hard to tell with all the sarcasm around this place. I imagine if they pulled 90% of the basketball audience then their numbers must be similar.

It's amazing that a show featuring basically a prelim guy with no promotion can pull those kinds of numbers.

and do you have a link to where Meltzer says that?

Back