How is Ronda ducking Cyborg?

"How is she ducking Cyborg"

"By not agreeing to fight her"

The UFC has a close relationship but they do not OWN Invicta.

In other words, let's say Cyborg wins. How does the UFC make ANY money off Cyborg at that point?

If Cyborg wins Zuffa can buy Invicta and ride the new cash cow. Shannon Knapp will get a nice check and the UFC will build a 145 division around Cyborg just like they did with Ronda. Why do people act like it is complicated ? Ronda just has to say "okay for a fight at 145" and it will be done in the UFC.

Zuffa didn't own the UFC when they had UFC 28. And Semaphore went BANKRUPT exactly because they made idiotic decisions and weren't thinking about the bottom line.

They bankrupt for completly other reasons, like the various bans. My point is that it would be pose absolutly no issue for the UFC to have one fight at 145. They can easily promote it as "Ronda is so fearless that she fights her biggest nemesis!".

If Cyborg wins Zuffa can buy Invicta and ride the new cash cow. Shannon Knapp will get a nice check and the UFC will build a 145 division around Cyborg just like they did with Ronda. Why do people act like it is complicated ? Ronda just has to say "okay for a fight at 145" and it will be done in the UFC.

So, your solution is spend a ton of money promoting the fight, then spend a ton of money buying another promotion so you can promote fights for an organization that nobody watches?

And what's to stop Cyborg from simply walking and fighting for Bellator leaving the UFC holding the bag?

I hope to heaven that you never have the opportunity to manage the money of another human being.

So, your solution is spend a ton of money promoting the fight, then spend a ton of money buying another promotion so you can promote fights for an organization that nobody watches?

They bought much bigger orgs in the past and when I talk about buying Invicta, it's to merge it.

And what's to stop Cyborg from simply walking and fighting for Bellator leaving the UFC holding the bag?

A thing called a contract and the fact that nobody on a winning streak ever chosed Bellator over the UFC.

Yes they did, they had one SHW fight with Barnett and McGee at UFC 28.

Who cares ? Nobody really expected James Toney to have more than one fight in the UFC and it will probably go the way for CM Punk. By the way, Invicta is broadcasted on FightPass and is pretty much Zuffa's pet.

Zuffa didn't own ufc then and were going under for being shitty businessmen.

As a fan I don't care, id watch it no matter what, as a businessman I understand the problem with doing it in a way zuffa doesn't capitalize long term from cyborg.

Zuffa wouldnt garner the same type of income from having cybporg compete for them as they would ufc, that's the biggest issue and I don't know why its so hard for people to understand.

Last edited:

That's terrible business man. They would have to buy it before the fight own the asset and then promote it. Creating more worth before the purchase isn't a smart plan. If anything they should buy out invicta do a tuff 145 division with cyborg and ronda as coaches and then let them fight after. Both can have a home after the fight in the ufc and everyone wins.
But to do a fight with cyborg before any of that in a weight class higher then one they currently have makes zero sense for a profitable business like zuffa who doesn't need to take drastic measures for short term gains

Also even if ronda said she would fight cyborg at 145, right now the ufc wouldn't even let it happen. They would have to do it in a way that made sense for their business. Zuffa turned ufc into such a profitable business by making smart business decisions, no way they let emotions of this fight dictate terms that doesn't make sense for their company

Also even if ronda said she would fight cyborg at 145, right now the ufc wouldn't even let it happen. They would have to do it in a way that made sense for their business. Zuffa turned ufc into such a profitable business by making smart business decisions, no way they let emotions of this fight dictate terms that doesn't make sense for their company

This.

Yes of course I would like to see them fight as a fight fan, but I am also not stupid to it being a bad business decision under certain circumstances. UFC are also probably hesitant to even create a 145 division right now around Cyborg, who is not a draw, and has had a sketchy past, and has barely any contenders to fight. Why buy an entire org, or create an entire division around one fight, when they can continue to promote Ronda, get great PPV numbers, and have her break into mainstream doing exactly what they are doing. If Cyborg is serious, she can lose the weight and fight, because UFC is under zero pressure to do anything other then what they are doing. Cyborg has the title fight whenever she wants it, she just has to lose the weight.

Well it doesn't help when you are saying you'd fight men (Floyd) or Gina or anyone else at 145... but then it comes to Cyborg you stall on that question

Well it doesn't help when you are saying you'd fight men (Floyd) or Gina or anyone else at 145... but then it comes to Cyborg you stall on that question

She said out of respect she would make exceptions for Gina that she wouldn't make for cyborg. Hinting at being caught using winstrol as a reason for that, but even then the ufc brass still said uif she fought gina it would be at 135 anyway. What most of you don't realize and ronda doesn't run the company nor make those type of business decisions

Shes not, idiots seem to think the undefeated reigning champion should accommodate the heavier fighter who's not even in the promotion because (reasons).

Bad business or not, rondas career will be tarnished if there is not a single notable name on her record. At least cyborg has Gina.

Shes not, idiots seem to think the undefeated reigning champion should accommodate the heavier fighter who's not even in the promotion because (reasons).

The reason is cyborg is the only challenge for Ronda out there, and it's the biggest fight in the history of wmma.

Bad business or not, rondas career will be tarnished if there is not a single notable name on her record. At least cyborg has Gina.

Tarnished to the odd sherdog member doesn't change the legacy and career shes had.

Agreed id want to see the fight before either of them are done, but for the average casual fan, cyborg doesn't even exist, so that's not a deciding factor of the legacy shes leaving behind.

But for us low life sherdoggers, most of us will be disappointed the fight never happened for sure

Tarnished to the odd sherdog member doesn't change the legacy and career shes had.

Agreed id want to see the fight before either of them are done, but for the average casual fan, cyborg doesn't even exist, so that's not a deciding factor of the legacy shes leaving behind.

But for us low life sherdoggers, most of us will be disappointed the fight never happened for sure

Tarnished among the educated does change her legacy. It's the educated who carry her legacy, because that's who informs the uneducated casual fans.

My girlfriend didn't know George foreman was a boxer, that doesn't mean his boxing career was all for nothing.

The reason is cyborg is the only challenge for Ronda out there, and it's the biggest fight in the history of wmma.

That neither means she is ducking her nor is she obligated to fight out of her weight class to appease the fans.

When has the champion of an organization ever had to fight out of their weight to accommodate a challenger who hasn't even fought for the promotion to not be considered ducking? Its nonsense.

Tarnished among the educated does change her legacy. It's the educated who carry her legacy, because that's who informs the uneducated casual fans.

My girlfriend didn't know George foreman was a boxer, that doesn't mean his boxing career was all for nothing.

I disagree, it may be for you, but I think so far Ronda has had the bigger, better, and more impressive career, so i consider her to have a better legacy than Cyborg.

Also even if ronda said she would fight cyborg at 145, right now the ufc wouldn't even let it happen.

That's exactly the core of my point: this is a problem of will and not a problem of weightclasses or orgs. If Carano had been serious about coming back, they'd have planned a fight against Ronda at 145 without a second thought.

That's exactly the core of my point: this is a problem of will and not a problem of weightclasses or orgs. If Carano had been serious about coming back, they'd have planned a fight against Ronda at 145 without a second thought.

No, UFC and Dana White squashed that right away and said that fight would only be at 135.

Back