How is Oakley still in Business?

Don't forget us Firefighters too.
<Gordonhat>

I wear Gas Cans in my SUV. I wear Wayfarer style ones when I drive the wife's SUV. I'm actually gonna get another pair of Wayfarers for my SUV, and relegate the Oakley's to work only.

The Wayfarers don't look like the characteristic "Oakley" IMO. I actually don't mind Oakleys at all. I think they are pretty decent sunglasses. I had some gascans and they were great! Very clear lenses, good eye protection from sun, like the polarized lenses.

So military, cops, firefighters, and rednecks then ;)

The Wayfarers don't look like the characteristic "Oakley" IMO. I actually don't mind Oakleys at all. I think they are pretty decent sunglasses. I had some gascans and they were great! Very clear lenses, good eye protection from sun, like the polarized lenses.

So military, cops, firefighters, and rednecks then ;)
Who else do you need?

I have the Oakley Batwolf sunglasses that I use for hiking and outdoor activities. I've tried other brands and I wouldn't change them for the world. This is my third pair because I've lost them in the ocean and while traveling.

1026673_fpx.tif

I also use Oakley gloves and other gear, but mostly, I love my Oakley kitchen sink back pack that I've had for almost 10 years. I have done traveling, backpacking, road trips, camping, beach outings, hiking and even took it ice climbing in Alaska and it's still as good as new, not even scratches on it. Granted, it was $250 back when I got it, but still, nothing seems to last this long these days. Shit's still going strong 10 years later.

kitchensink1_1024x1024.jpg

Some items are a bit tacky for my taste and some others might not be the best quality out there, but Oakley still produces really good gear and items for people who actually use them for sports and outdoor activities.

As for my casual sunglasses, I use the Spy Cyrus almost on the daily. These are great sunglasses and also versatile; they work with relaxed attire and even with a suit or dressed for work. I often receive compliments on them.

s-l640.jpg

@blitzk Do the Cyrus fit your head good? Do you have an average sized head? I'm looking at the Cyrus vs the Montana. It seems the Montana is smaller but some say the Cyrus are huge, almost like they are theater glasses ;)

Dude I love that backpack and those Spy glasses. I had a pair of Oakley Gascans that I liked. I think your picture is actually the gascans. The batwolfs seem very similar but the lens covers the entire front. I think that's the only real different between batwolf and gascan. They make 1 other one that is very similar too but I can't remember it offhand.

61YjCZLbGrL._UX679_.jpg

You're right. I am very aware of this difference because I initially was looking at the Gascans but I specifically wanted a single lens like the Batwolf has so I went for those. I didn't realize from the picture, I just googled Batwolf and grabbed the first one but yeah, you're right.

These are great, they're super light and comfortable and I like that that you can change the Oakley icons in different colors so I have a bunch of different colors to go with my gear.

I remember at one point, my battalion commander banned half jacket eye pro, which was pretty much all Oakleys, so everyone was stuck wearing full jacket glasses that look retarded.
Throughout my deployment to Afghanistan, we were required to wear clear EyePro (despite being issues clear, shaded, and goggles also....)

Best part: when the CSM told us this detail, he was literally wearing Amber eyepro and did all deployment.

@blitzk Do the Cyrus fit your head good? Do you have an average sized head? I'm looking at the Cyrus vs the Montana. It seems the Montana is smaller but some say the Cyrus are huge, almost like they are theater glasses ;)

I'd say my head and face are average sized lol. For reference, in terms of hat size, the Flexfit S-M is a little snug for me but I can wear it, but I usually go for the L-XL because its more comfortable. But I'm kind of in between. (I'm 6' and 225). I'll see if I can DM you a recent pic of me wearing the shades.

The Cyrus are great, I have to say they're better than the Oakleys, but it's not fair to compare because they're for different purposes. I really do get a lot of compliments from girls and guys with the Cyrus and I like that I can wear them with shorts, jeans and even dressed up for work.

I had the same concern with the Cyrus being too large and was struggling to decide between the two but I'm glad I went with the Cyrus.

They're polarized and they're priced around $100, which I think its a pretty good price for polarized, quality sunglasses. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger if you're thinking of buying them.

I'd say my head and face are average sized lol. For reference, in terms of hat size, the Flexfit S-M is a little snug for me but I can wear it, but I usually go for the L-XL because its more comfortable. But I'm kind of in between. (I'm 6' and 225). I'll see if I can DM you a recent pic of me wearing the shades.

The Cyrus are great, I have to say they're better than the Oakleys, but it's not fair to compare because they're for different purposes. I really do get a lot of compliments from girls and guys with the Cyrus and I like that I can wear them with shorts, jeans and even dressed up for work.

I had the same concern with the Cyrus being too large and was struggling to decide between the two but I'm glad I went with the Cyrus.

They're polarized and they're priced around $100, which I think its a pretty good price for polarized, quality sunglasses. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger if you're thinking of buying them.

Thanks for the feedback man! I'm the exact same with the Flexfit hats. Some of them I go with the S-M b/c the XL might fall off. But more often than not the S-M just look too small on my head. I'm probably a 7 3/8-7 1/2 hat size in fitted hats.

That's cool to hear about the Cyrus. I guess worst case it looks like they are available on Amazon with free returns. I could order a Cyrus and Montana and send back the one I don't like. I'd rather a little oversized than undersized glasses though. Glasses too small hurt my face and just look stupid IMO.

The only thing with the Spy Cyrus/Montana is that I wish the black/green lenses with mirrored. I like it when my eyes are hidden :)

Also around the release of OG Oakleys, there were.......
upload_2019-4-25_18-0-39.jpeg

Gargoyles, the OG douche Sunglasses.

Oakley sunglasses are pure dogshit quality in my opinion.
I remember paying $193 for a pair back in the late 90's and the frame broke less than a year later.
Maybe don't treat them like shit?

My prescription glasses frames are Oakley and are almost 5 years old and still trucking. I have a set of OIL DRUM sunglasses from when I was in high school (12-13 years ago now) that are still, JUST fine.

I was going to buy oakley jawbreakers for cycling but the 200+price is a rip off. I bought some clones of them on amazon for 15 dollars.

Lol at $15 dollar sunglasses being better. Clearly TS has never actually owned a pair of nice sunglasses, otherwise the difference would be obvious.

That or TS needs to post the website where these amazing $15 sunglasses can be purchased.

With Sears & Sports Authority shutting down and going out of business, how does Oakley still remain?
Are people still willing to shell out $200 for sunglasses when there are cheaper and better quality alternatives for less than $15?

Oakley sunglasses are pure dogshit quality in my opinion.
I remember paying $193 for a pair back in the late 90's and the frame broke less than a year later.
Quantify what makes them dogsit.

Back