how is lauzon a purple belt?!?!?

He doesn't train with a gi and there are no belt in no-gi. And besides, belts are here only to prevent your pants from falling down.

10th planet has a belt system and they typically train no-gi

It's amazing how a couple of years ago I made a thread asking people if they thought that belts in disciplines actually mattered (this was after Tito almost triangle'd Machida) and everybody shit on me saying that of course belts matter and they accurately show your skill level. Here we are 3-4 years later and now the majority of posters are all saying that being a black belt is overrated and that it's your skill itself that's important

Belts don't mean nothing. Matt Hughes is a white belt and subbed a 2nd or 3rd degree BB in Almeida

while jones is good at submissions he usually does them after he rocks a guy which makes it less impressive.

Ya I know what you mean. Actually now that I think about it I don't think he's ever submitted anybody inside of the 1st half of the fight. He always submits them after their tired or rocked. And all the submissions he does are very basic submissions, nothing too fancy. I don't think we're ever going to see him submit someone the way someone like Mir does (i.e while he's rocked and against a BJJ BB, or put your own spin on an established move)

It's amazing how a couple of years ago I made a thread asking people if they thought that belts in disciplines actually mattered (this was after Tito almost triangle'd Machida) and everybody shit on me saying that of course belts matter and they accurately show your skill level. Here we are 3-4 years later and now the majority of posters are all saying that being a black belt is overrated and that it's your skill itself that's important

well i won't go so far as to shit on you but those people years ago were mostly correct and the people today saying a blackbelt in BJJ means nothing are almost entirely incorrect.

Since it's sherdog everything is seen in absolutes. If belt color isn't a PERFECT predictor of MMA grappling success then obviously it means NOTHING and has no value. what nonsense. No, it's not a perfect predictor. There are plenty of examples of lower belts subbing or outgrappling higher belts (mackens semerzier x wagnney fabiano, Kevin Burns x Roan Carneiro, Matt Wiman x Paul Sass, etc.) But there are way, waaaaayy more examples of higher belts doing just what you would expect to lower belts, i.e. dominating the lower belts on the ground and submitting them.

there are in fact belts for no-gi grapplers depending on the instructor.

also i don't understand all the hate directed towards BJJ instructors and gym owners, imagining them handing out belts to the most subservient, well-paying students. I've never known this to be the case and unlike most traditional martial arts BJJ has high intensity sparring and full-intensity competitions. It's very hard to promote your students to belts they do not deserve because they will get crushed by the first blue belt (or D1 wrestler) who visits the school, and then the jig is up.

so belt color is meaningless? Or it's a less than perfect predictor? I'm going for the latter.

It's not meaningless, but it's like when someone is "Muay thai world champ" or whatever. Doesn't mean they won't get knocked out by some wrestler-turned-striker. MMA is it's own sport and the dynamics of it means the arts you practice coming in will be immensely helpful but they won't just 1:1 adapt.

well i won't go so far as to shit on you but those people years ago were mostly correct and the people today saying a blackbelt in BJJ means nothing are almost entirely incorrect.

Since it's sherdog everything is seen in absolutes. If belt color isn't a PERFECT predictor of MMA grappling success then obviously it means NOTHING and has no value. what nonsense. No, it's not a perfect predictor. There are plenty of examples of lower belts subbing or outgrappling higher belts (mackens semerzier x wagnney fabiano, Kevin Burns x Roan Carneiro, Matt Wiman x Paul Sass, etc.) But there are way, waaaaayy more examples of higher belts doing just what you would expect to lower belts, i.e. dominating the lower belts on the ground and submitting them.

there are in fact belts for no-gi grapplers depending on the instructor.

also i don't understand all the hate directed towards BJJ instructors and gym owners, imagining them handing out belts to the most subservient, well-paying students. I've never known this to be the case and unlike most traditional martial arts BJJ has high intensity sparring and full-intensity competitions. It's very hard to promote your students to belts they do not deserve because they will get crushed by the first blue belt (or D1 wrestler) who visits the school, and then the jig is up.

Ya I was just trying to show the change in opinions over the years. I think the change has more been that a lot of fighters aren't training with a gi anymore as they don't fight with one, so there's less ranked BJJ fighters and posters are taking this to assume that that means a belt doesn't matter. A black belt doesn't necessarily mean that that fighter is a better grappler than a fighter without a black belt, it just means that they have more experience and have put in a certain amount of work to have attained that level. You can't really rank talent but the belts show that they are at least that talented (or should be) and have put in at least that amount of work into their ground game. Doesn't mean that their can't be phenoms who aren't ranked though

I do agree though that a black belt does more accurately show someone's grappling ability leading into a fight, but the fight will determine who actually is the better grappler, belt or no belt (unless it's a standup battle)

Back