how is lauzon a purple belt?!?!?

Why? What's wrong with rac****s?

Edit: Why is that word censored? I typed the name of an animal that appears to be wearing a mask.

Its the c--n part thats censored. Its a derogatory term for black people.

Yup. You can go to some gyms where they basically give out belts for nothing. You can be a black belt there and go against a purple belt in a really good gym and get smashed.

More than likely it's because he doesn't train in a gi much so his "gi jiu-jitsu" is at a purple belt level--gaining a belt in BJJ means being proficient in both a gi and without a gi and both are equally important in their specific sphere of use (although it is not uncommon for a sport fighter to focus on nogi since competition is his only goal)--on a side note the saying also goes that there are "black belts" and then there are "BLACK BELTS," and the same goes for purples, it depends on a number of factors. Purple is, or at least should be, the gateway to the elite ranks of grappling as well--thus a purple could be just on that cusp and still wilt against black belt level competition, or a purple could be a master grappler capable of holding his own with almost anyone, but who is still missing a few details in some areas of his game or needs to round out their skills in some way to be a true master of jiu-jitsu.

The gi does change things a lot (in real life people are likely to have clothing on and if you know how to manipulate them with that clothing you are at a huge advantage, not all martial arts technique is about being locked in a one-on-one scenario with safe surroundings either), and a winter coat is basically a gi--being a black belt means having mastered ALL the concepts of BJJ, not just the MMA or competition aspects, which are mostly effective in a sport fight where two guys have already stripped down to their bare minimum clothing and are in a safe, secure environment with no surprises coming etc.

Who you can beat is much less important than your ability to grapple using both the technical details and the strategies of BJJ as well (although if you have mastered the strategies etc you should be able to top most people ranked below you). JLau tends to gas, which means he has still not mastered one of the core principals of BJJ--maximum efficiency of energy output.

Given some training a good athlete might still be able to overpower his foe and maybe even submit him, but that is not the same accomplishment as a mediocre athlete who can subdue his foe simply by out maneuvering him through technique, all without wasting energy or taking unnecessary risks. Most of the top "black belt" level bjj guys are excellent athletes AND masters of efficiency when they grapple. Without the gi it is much easier to get away with being the better athlete in general but in a real fight that's fairly uncommon--the gi provides additional control and leverage and the ability to use it is TANTAMOUNT to being a legitimate black belt.

Belts mean nothing, 9 times out of 10 BJJ instructors only give them to their more "loyal" students. By that I mean they promote the guys who are giving them the most money, bringing in their friends and are likely to be giving them $100 a month for the next 20 years. Most of the best guys I've ever trained with (especially nogi or MMA) have been either unranked in BJJ or blue/purple belts who stopped caring about getting promoted, brown/black belts consistently leave me unimpressed by comparison honestly.

Oh, and breaking stacks of wood - all along the grain with spacers between each piece of wood - is also complete BULLSHIT. It's a cheap trick, not talent/focus/training/strength/chi that you can do because you're a "black belt"... Let's see your black belted ass break the wood pieces against the grain, without any spacers between each of them. Broke every bone in your hand... guess your chi wasn't balanced today... now go clean the shit out of the toilet - respect the dojo, black belt.

Nam Phan is a black belt. lol

Saying about a UFC fight that Fighter A is a blue belt and fighter B is a black belt, and actually thinking it is REMOTELY relevant in any conceivable way to who will win the fight or who has an advantage in any particular situation is completely laughable and, quite frankly, so stupid it insults MMA fans and makes the sport sound like a joke.

Belts really don't mean anything at all besides the amount of time you've been paying your instructor.

bc he still gets tapped too probably, should be a brown tho imo

BJJ belts are overrated nowadays.

And i'm not even gonna mention the guys who make up their own "styles" of martial art. Machida Karate! Or my favorite, the most destructive, deadly form of martial art known to man - Joe Son Do. To have a black belt in Joe Son Do means you're so deadly you are automatically given a life sentence in a maximum security prison.

He doesn't train with a gi and there are no belt in no-gi. And besides, belts are here only to prevent your pants from falling down.

Can be used to whip bitches too and other kinky stuff.

It's also amusing how an armbar is "BJJ" when done by a Brazilian with a BJJ belt, an armbar is Judo when done by a judoka like Ronda Rousey, Karate when done by someone like Machida, or Sambo when done by someone like Fedor. And it likely has a totally different name in catch-wrestling ("don't call it a kimura, he's a catch-wrestler so it's a keylock").

Don't even think of telling me each technique has a slightly different way of doing an armbar. No. No, no no. Absolutely not. And don't ask me how much training I've had in each technique as a rebuttal, because the "gotta do it to know it" internet fallacy won't get a response from me.

Yep, if you rock a black belt he becomes a white belt fast.

mir1.jpg

:D

he prolly trains mostly without a gi
the gi is efeminate
and the brazilians are quite fickle with their nonsensical belt system
check barnetts rise to bjj black belt for ref

he prolly trains mostly without a gi
the gi is efeminate
and the brazilians are quite fickle with their nonsensical belt system
check barnetts rise to bjj black belt for ref

How the hell is a gi effeminant?

Back