how is lauzon a purple belt?!?!?

He probably has a legit instructor who doesn't just hand black belts out all the time.

Lol belt ranking is only for the art of Brazilian jiu jitsu , not no GI submission wrestling. I am a white belt in bjj but intermediate level (purple belt in relative comparison if I trained in a GI) . Joe Lauzon has the best grappling prowess in mma competition /fighting situations that I've seen (Maia, aoki, jacare are up there too). He's blackbelt/advanced level grappler.

Belts are overrated

Yup. You can go to some gyms where they basically give out belts for nothing. You can be a black belt there and go against a purple belt in a really good gym and get smashed.

maybe he doesnt have a trainer that is his buddy and gave him a black belt after 1 yr like some fighters

Would not want that purple belt getting a hold of me.

Belt systems go by mat time rather than skill and accomplishments.

hope they put Lauzon in the next UFC fan expo grapplers quest superfight

6.gif

Belt systems go by mat time rather than skill and accomplishments.

They can do both. If you're actively competing in BJJ you're likely to advance faster in belt ranking then if you just show up for practices.

He probably has a legit instructor who doesn't just hand black belts out all the time.

This, combined with not training gi BJJ for very long. Look at when Nate Diaz got his, he was better than a lot of black belts in the UFC for a couple years before he got it from Cesar.

"Belt color" is the most meaningless thing in all of sports.

Anyone who thinks it is remotely relevant to a fight is a complete moron. Your neighbor's 16 year old kid is a "black belt" in BJJ from the martial arts studio between the Subway and Supercuts, and Joe Lauzon is a purple belt. Sounds like that 16 year old should have been in the UFC several years ago....

It cracks me up how Joe Rogan thinks belt color means a damn thing. Matt Hughes was beating the crap out of BJJ black belts for years, and he didn't even have a belt in BJJ at the time (if ever, I forget). Rogan recently "earned" his black belt... so obviously he could defeat over half the fighters in the UFC in his weight class (though a "black belt" should be able to defeat anyone regardless of size, after all that's what BJJ is all about).

There's a great Penn & Teller: BULLSHIT episode on martial arts. Most of it is about frauds who claim they can knock out people by throwing "chi power balls" (literally like in Street Fighter II - hahdoooken!) but colored "belts" is also a big part of it. Want your black belt? Respect the dojo - so go clean it, including the toilets and locker-room - and don't forget your dues need to be paid at the beginning of the month. Paying some fraud $100 a month for the privilege of providing free janitorial services = rise to black belt.

If you've got a colored belt and take it seriously, and are thus offended by this, too bad. Skill, ability, athleticism, and natural talent are what matter, and no matter how respectable your instructor(s) may be, the "colored belt" you have says absolutely NOTHING about those qualities.

The notion that anyone fighting in the big league of the UFC is anything less than a "black belt" is laughable and should make everyone with half a brain realize that belts mean absolutely nothing. The color of a fighter's pubic hair is more relevant.

"Belt color" is the most meaningless thing in all of sports.
No, it isn't. There's more things in the world then just black vs white or 1 vs 0.

It cracks me up how Joe Rogan thinks belt color means a damn thing. Matt Hughes was beating the crap out of BJJ black belts for years, and he didn't even have a belt in BJJ at the time (if ever, I forget).
That's because Matt Hughes is a great grappler. Belt color is an indicator of grappling skill, nobody (except you) is drawing any sort of conclusion that it's the ONLY indictator of grappling skill.

Rogan recently "earned" his black belt... so obviously he could defeat over half the fighters in the UFC in his weight class (though a "black belt" should be able to defeat anyone regardless of size, after all that's what BJJ is all about).
Jesus, who the fuck has even gone near drawing any such conclusions? Your logic here is nothing short of retarded.

The notion that anyone fighting in the big league of the UFC is anything less than a "black belt" is laughable and should make everyone with half a brain realize that belts mean absolutely nothing. The color of a fighter's pubic hair is more relevant.
Yeah, Lavar Johnson is surely a black belt level grappler.

Back