How is Judo for self-defense?

1) There didn't seem to be any "finish" from a throw. I expected a throw could then translate nicely to an armlock or similar but that didn't seem to be the case at all, not just in the competition but some of the schools I've seen too. I understand that with an experienced judoka not many guys will get up from a hard throw... but still...

From every throw there is a transition to an immediate armbar, pin, or choke. We go over these alot in class. Just think about it, after you do your throw you have the guy's arm, just drop down and do a jujigatame (standard armbar). Or you might be in a side control position after a throw, do a kimura. etc.

Tai Otoshi seems to be one of the more painfull throws in judo. Think about Te Guruma and land/drop him on your knee? From there u can go to mount and GnP him for a while. With back broken and face smothered there aint much left to recognize for the cops. Most throws works good, delivering pain/chock/unconsciousness. Think yourself standing on car roof and diving down to the ground with your back of your head first. >Ippon? :D

I assume u can use what u have learnt in the dojo so long we are talking about unarmed 1 on 1 opponents. But in the streets the reality its totally different.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273841

i'd take judo techniques over bjj techniques for a bar fight any day of the week. You can turn almost anything someone does into a throw or standing lock or choke.

my instructor likes to teach everything. So he just doesn't stick to judo, he mixes traditional jiu jitsu and karate into it all. To get a karate black belt from him, you have to know a few throws even.

my schoolmate trains judo and someone he knows just recently came out of prison back to training.

he went to prison because he suplexed someone on his head in a barfight and killed him.

randomg1t said:
my schoolmate trains judo and someone he knows just recently came out of prison back to training.

he went to prison because he suplexed someone on his head in a barfight and killed him.
Doesnt sound like an accident to me, if its true

Ude_Garami said:
From every throw there is a transition to an immediate armbar, pin, or choke. We go over these alot in class. Just think about it, after you do your throw you have the guy's arm, just drop down and do a jujigatame (standard armbar). Or you might be in a side control position after a throw, do a kimura. etc.

Yes, thsi is very true. This is emphasised where I am training judo, who you should keep and arm and dfrop right into an armolock or get the lapel and put a choke on before they even hit the mat. The first tounrie I went to, one of our best guys, who was a green belt, went against a guy and got thrown, countered the throw and put on a lapel choke midair and pulled it tight as hey hit. They guy went out almost instantly. It was the most incredible throw choke combo I ahve ever seen. Super fast and powerful.

Back