How in the hell did Aldo eat this shot?

An uppercut from McGregor in that clip would knock him silly. There would be no recovery.

McGregor KO/TKO late round 2 or early round 3.

Too generous, Mcregregor via crazy capoeira kick KO round 1.

Honestly neither shot looks like a power shot to me.

What the hell? That was a huge uppercut, look at the buildup and his motion

the build up is what stops it from being a great punch imo... how many other upper-cuts do you see doing significant damage that have that disjointed movement?

down... pause.... punch

he really didn't drive off the back foot and his hips and shoulders don't really go into the punch like you see with other knockout blows

it was a well timed, nice counter but i don't see it as being a knockout punch either (perhaps to someone like hunt, but mendes deosn't have that kind of power)

That was a beautiful counter uppercut my goodness

No it wasn't. The timing was good. That's it. He never pivoted. He never turned and he didn't snap. It was a perfect time to KO the champ and poor fundamentals cost Mendes the belt. That should have been a KO, but Mendes can't box.

It was thrown by a wrestler that can't punch. Watch the footwork. Mendes smothers his own work. The guy can't box. He steps in too far and can't generate power.

Its true it was not the best technique, but you clearly have very little understanding of boxing

Knew exactly what strike you were referring to prior to opening the thread. My jaw dropped when I say Aldo was still conscious and composed. A shot like that should have spelled disaster for Aldo. Didn't know his chin was so strong. Mendes looked great tha fight.

huge windup and power on that shot, anyone who thinks it wasn't a KO shot is dumb. That shot proves Aldo is the man.

anyone who thinks it wasn't a KO shot is dumb.

i challenge you to find a video of any decent pro that has been knocked out with an uppercut like that...?

aldo is indeed the man and mendes showed great timing with a nice counter but it wasn't that great of a punch really

Aldo is my favourite fighter, has been since WEC era. And I must say, this fight got me damn worried a few times. But what saved him is he gave those kind of shots RIGHT BACK at him, only with MORE devastation. I'm surprised Mendez lasted the whole fight. Few times it looked like Aldo was about to knock his block clean off.

I'm not an Aldo fan by any means, but yup he's extremely tough and an amazing fighter, Aldo/Mendes 2 was a great fight.

An uppercut from McGregor in that clip would knock him silly. There would be no recovery.

McGregor KO/TKO late round 2 or early round 3.

According to McG himself 4 minutes, it'll take a few minutes to figure him out.

He faked a takedown and threw an uppercut knowing that Aldo would hunch down to defend, I'm pretty sure.

That's what it looked like to me. An impressive display by both guys in that exchange.

Aldo is my favourite fighter, has been since WEC era. And I must say, this fight got me damn worried a few times. But what saved him is he gave those kind of shots RIGHT BACK at him, only with MORE devastation. I'm surprised Mendez lasted the whole fight. Few times it looked like Aldo was about to knock his block clean off.
This. Mendes brought his best game and that brought out the best in Aldo in turn.

Lmao, I can't wait for Aldo to get his hands on McG.

Great chin, gonna be great to watch his dash Connor's dreams, with a grappling clinic.

I'm not discrediting Aldo's chin, but he saw it coming to some degree and was able to move with it a bit. His entire body flows back somewhat with the punch. I'm sure if he'd just closed his eyes he'd be knocked flat.

Back