How Impressed Were You By Poirier/Medeiros?

I don't even need an argument, internet troll. I forget that I'm on Sherdog, where being a professional fighter with eight fights under big promotions under your belt doesn't mean jack shit. You're probably a much better fighter yourself! :rolleyes:

Obviously it's not the same level of impressiveness as wins like RDA's recent wins or Tony Ferguson's, but bear with me here. There are a lot of fans who actually train and can recognize skills and talent, no matter who they are watching fight. Technique is technique, and it can be recognized whether it's being used against Joe Schmoe BBQ champion or an elite, top of the chain professional. I'm not going around saying that Medeiros is a future title contender, he's not. For some of us however, there is a technical aspect to this sport that we factor into our picks and who we follow, instead of just looking at fight finder and spewing the 'who has he beaten? well who has he beaten?' shtick. Medeiros has some legit skills, sorry you're too dense to see them.

You're probably one of those guys who bitches and moans about 'name quality' of PPV's.

I'm a green belt in TKD, a blue belt in in judo and a purple belt in BJJ. You can take your high and mighty antagonistic attitude and shove it up your fuckin ass.

Just because I don't ride the guys nuts (I already made it clear I respect the dude, whether I believe he's elite or not - apparently that's too complex for your feeble mind) doesn't mean I'm devoid of experience.

The proposed statement here was clear as day: Poirier looked awesome because he disposed of Yancy in impressive fashion. The truth of the matter is, while Yancy is a solid fighter, he's not an elite athlete, which is why I didn't find the win all that amazing for Poirier.

If you can't handle the thoughts of a big boy, get the fuck off the forum, junior. You're clearly a failure when it comes to debate and you've clearly allowed your fanboyism to contaminate an objective thought process.

Right. 7 billion people in the world, and being in the top 10-15 is the only thing that's impressive. The top 20-30 are obviously cans.

Is your brilliant ass implying that 7 billion people in the world compete in MMA? Is that what you're doing?

You're either 14 or Yancy is your brother. Either way, you don't even have what it takes to engage in a successful debate on Sherdog. I don't need to tell you how sad that is. Even your basic ass can grasp that.

It will be a better win for him but still, it's not over a top 20 guy. Duffy, despite the hype, still has a ways to go as does Poirer. It's a very good matchup and makes perfect sense right now but really, neither guy is a top contender yet. This matchup will give them a step up though.

Nothing against Poirer but I am sick of seeing posts saying the guy is "reborn" at 155. IMO, the weight change has nothing to do with it. Poirer was looking phenomenal at 145 too... against a weaker level of competition. When he stepped up, he lost. Now, suddenly he beats 2 weak level opponents at 155 and people suddenly think he's a top contender? Please... the same thing will happen

Damn, do you preach UFC rankings to your kids too? Why don't you use your eyes and watch the fighter's skills instead of rambling on and on about the magnificent and reliable UFC rankings. If you think Medeiros and Ferreira are cans because they're outside the top 10 or something, a discussion would be pointless. Duffy just came to the UFC, of course he ranks low, but were you able to actually take a look at the skillset he brings to the table? The rankings talk at the moment is just too much, it's been proven over and over that it's worth shit.

I'm a green belt in TKD, a blue belt in in judo and a purple belt in BJJ. You can take your high and mighty antagonistic attitude and shove it up your fuckin ass.

Just because I don't ride the guys nuts (I already made it clear I respect the dude, whether I believe he's elite or not - apparently that's too complex for your feeble mind) doesn't mean I'm devoid of experience.

The proposed statement here was clear as day: Poirier looked awesome because he disposed of Yancy in impressive fashion. The truth of the matter is, while Yancy is a solid fighter, he's not an elite athlete, which is why I didn't find the win all that amazing for Poirier.

If you can't handle the thoughts of a big boy, get the fuck off the forum, junior. You're clearly a failure when it comes to debate and you've clearly allowed your fanboyism to contaminate an objective thought process.

Hit a nerve, did I? You are clearly very mature and handle frustration well!

Not 'amazing' is something we could agree on. You flat out said that you weren't impressed at all. There's a big difference there. Nobody is going around calling for a Poirier title shot, we simply are giving credit where it's due to a great performance. Are you saying that it wasn't a great performance by Dustin? You are only impressed by showings that you would call 'sensational?' 'Phenomenal?'

Nobody is riding anybody's nuts here, and nobody is calling anybody an 'elite athlete.' I doubt there's a single 'big Medeiros fan' on the forums at all. That's your rebuttal, really? Calling me a fanboy? I could never see another fight with him again and wouldn't lose a blink of sleep.

If you can't handle a little debate on a discussion forum without resorting to juvenile name calling, then maybe you are the one who should stay away from the forum. None of my points have lacked objectivity, whereas all of yours seem to be shrouded with an air of hostility and stubbornness.

Is your brilliant ass implying that 7 billion people in the world compete in MMA? Is that what you're doing?

You're either 14 or Yancy is your brother. Either way, you don't even have what it takes to engage in a successful debate on Sherdog. I don't need to tell you how sad that is. Even your basic ass can grasp that.

Obviously not, but nice attempt at bringing me down to your simple level. You are saying that being top 30 in the world means dogshit, which is pretty much the definition of keyboard warrior. There's a reason why everyone else in this thread is echoing what I'm saying and only one other simpleton is agreeing with you. But you're right, I'm a failure at debating! :icon_lol:

Listen, Playa. You even started your initial comment with, "I don't want to be a douchebag, but..." Don't get so defensive when someone else agrees with your self assessment.

Last edited:
Obviously not, but nice attempt at bringing me down to your simple level. You are saying that being top 30 in the world means dogshit, which is pretty much the definition of keyboard warrior. There's a reason why everyone else in this thread is echoing what I'm saying and only one other simpleton is agreeing with you. But you're right, I'm a failure at debating! :icon_lol:

Its funny that you say that you hit a nerve yet you use passive aggressive emoticons and ad hominem everyone who does not agree with you.

Thread title: "How impressed were you by Poireier/Medeiros?"

Not impressed at all, because Medeiros simply is not a very good fighter. If Poirier would have beaten someone like Jason Moontasri or Jesse Ronson in similar fashion then that would have been a total different story.

Its funny that you say that you hit a nerve yet you use passive aggressive emoticons and ad hominem everyone who does not agree with you.

Thread title: "How impressed were you by Poireier/Medeiros?"

Not impressed at all, because Medeiros simply is not a very good fighter. If Poirier would have beaten someone like Jason Moontasri or Jesse Ronson in similar fashion then that would have been a total different story.

What's passive aggressive about an emoticon? Would you rather see me type HAHAHAHAHAHAHA? Nobody wants to read that.

Jesse Ronson? and you must mean James Moontasri? Maybe figure out what you're even trying to say before you come at me with misused sarcasm again.

Hit a nerve, did I? You are clearly very mature and handle frustration well!

Not 'amazing' is something we could agree on. You flat out said that you weren't impressed at all. There's a big difference there. Nobody is going around calling for a Poirier title shot, we simply are giving credit where it's due to a great performance. Are you saying that it wasn't a great performance by Dustin? You are only impressed by showings that you would call 'sensational?' 'Phenomenal?'

Nobody is riding anybody's nuts here, and nobody is calling anybody an 'elite athlete.' I doubt there's a single 'big Medeiros fan' on the forums at all. That's your rebuttal, really? Calling me a fanboy? I could never see another fight with him again and wouldn't lose a blink of sleep.

If you can't handle a little debate on a discussion forum without resorting to juvenile name calling, then maybe you are the one who should stay away from the forum. None of my points have lacked objectivity, whereas all of yours seem to be shrouded with an air of hostility and stubbornness.

I did indeed flat out say I wasn't impressed. Apparently you're still having trouble with that. Here, let me repeat it for you while you flounder: I WAS NOT IMPRESSED BECAUSE YANCY WAS BROUGHT INTO THE FIGHT TO LOSE AND MAKE DUSTIN LOOK GOOD. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.

I honestly don't know why you're having trouble with that.

And did you irritate me? Absolutely. You want to cite my name calling, but ignore your foolish assumptions. I spent four years all but LIVING in three different gyms. When a faceless screen name on Sherdog leaps to assume I know nothing about martial arts, yes it aggravates me. That was MY heart and effort - I take offense to ANYONE who belittles that, intentionally or not, whether I'm an amazing martial artist or not.

And I can handle a debate, but when you start making the assumption that I'm a troll and that I don't recognize talent and that I only care about "big names" on PPV, etc. YOU are stepping out of the realm of maturity.

I'm a grown man. I've been on this planet for 35 years. I don't need someone who was impressed by a guy who brutalized a guy who didn't belong with him in the cage telling me what kind of person I am.

You have no clue.

You thought Poirier looked special disposing of Medeiros. I thought he looked solid, but ultimately only did what he was supposed to do. Was it good that he got a finish? Absolutely. But had he NOT gotten Yancy out of there early, we'd probably be discussing the troubling state of Poirier's skill and position in the grand scheme of the division.

Listen, Playa. You even started your initial comment with, "I don't want to be a douchebag, but..." Don't get so defensive when someone else agrees with your self assessment.

Here we go again, Einstein. You go ahead and point out where I said being top 30 in the world means dogshit.

I'll wait.

Even if I HAD said that (again, it's VERY clear for anyone with an IQ above 19 to see that I didn't), that's NOT the definition of Keyboard Warrior. Maybe you should look into what that term means.

Everyone else, sans ONE individual, as you claim, is not agreeing with you. Once again, perhaps you should actually read the posts in this thread.

And finally, that was a pathetic attempt at being witty.

Seriously, guy - you're being slayed here, and you're so slow you don't even seem to realize it.

I'm not sure if I should be annoyed by your existence, or terribly depressed by it.

it was a great showing of DP

jokes aside - I didn't expect Yancy to get beat down like that. I thought because of the way Yancy smashed Yves Edwards that he would do stand his ground at least but Dustin walked through him.

I did indeed flat out say I wasn't impressed. Apparently you're still having trouble with that. Here, let me repeat it for you while you flounder: I WAS NOT IMPRESSED BECAUSE YANCY WAS BROUGHT INTO THE FIGHT TO LOSE AND MAKE DUSTIN LOOK GOOD. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.

I honestly don't know why you're having trouble with that.

And did you irritate me? Absolutely. You want to cite my name calling, but ignore your foolish assumptions. I spent four years all but LIVING in three different gyms. When a faceless screen name on Sherdog leaps to assume I know nothing about martial arts, yes it aggravates me. That was MY heart and effort - I take offense to ANYONE who belittles that, intentionally or not, whether I'm an amazing martial artist or not.

And I can handle a debate, but when you start making the assumption that I'm a troll and that I don't recognize talent and that I only care about "big names" on PPV, etc. YOU are stepping out of the realm of maturity.

I'm a grown man. I've been on this planet for 35 years. I don't need someone who was impressed by a guy who brutalized a guy who didn't belong with him in the cage telling me what kind of person I am.

You have no clue.

You thought Poirier looked special disposing of Medeiros. I thought he looked solid, but ultimately only did what he was supposed to do. Was it good that he got a finish? Absolutely. But had he NOT gotten Yancy out of there early, we'd probably be discussing the troubling state of Poirier's skill and position in the grand scheme of the division.

Well since we are just going around repeating ourselves, allow me.

Listen, 35 year old Playa. You started your initial comment with, "I don't want to be a douchebag, but..." Don't get so defensive when someone else agrees with your self assessment.

The fact that you are a 35 year old man and yet still allowed yourself to become so heated over someone else's thoughts on a fucking internet forum is really just sad. I'm only 24 and I would never allow myself to become so upset about what someone who I will never meet in my life, has to say about me. Relax, man.

Obviously I was wrong in assuming those things about you, and for that I'm gonna go ahead and apologize. You've obviously worked hard and have some degree of dedication. You must understand however that it's easy to make those assumptions when you demonstrated little to no technical understanding, and simply spewed on about rankings and who 'deserves' to be where and who has beaten who has beaten who. That means all of jack shit in modern day MMA.

Here we go again, Einstein. You go ahead and point out where I said being top 30 in the world means dogshit.

I'll wait.

Even if I HAD said that (again, it's VERY clear for anyone with an IQ above 19 to see that I didn't), that's NOT the definition of Keyboard Warrior. Maybe you should look into what that term means.

Everyone else, sans ONE individual, as you claim, is not agreeing with you. Once again, perhaps you should actually read the posts in this thread.

And finally, that was a pathetic attempt at being witty.

Seriously, guy - you're being slayed here, and you're so slow you don't even seem to realize it.

I'm not sure if I should be annoyed by your existence, or terribly depressed by it.

With every post of yours I read, I become dumber.

Read the posts in this thread, man. How many others weren't impressed? 1 or 2? Compare that to the dozen or so who have agreed with my initial statement. Just because they haven't quoted me doesn't mean they aren't saying the same shit. Jesus, you're dense.

Keep telling yourself that you're 'slaying' me, by regurgitating the same bullshit over and over again. You go, Playa!

The fact of the matter is this. You knew that what you were saying was douchey, yet you said it anyway. Now that someone has pointed out your douchiness in saying that, you are butthurt as hell and slinging insults at me left and right in a series of desperate attempts to rile me up as I have so easily riled you. Please don't kick your dog tonight.

Well since we are just going around repeating ourselves, allow me.

Listen, 35 year old Playa. You started your initial comment with, "I don't want to be a douchebag, but..." Don't get so defensive when someone else agrees with your self assessment.

The fact that you are a 35 year old man and yet still allowed yourself to become so heated over someone else's thoughts on a fucking internet forum is really just sad. I'm only 24 and I would never allow myself to become so upset about what someone who I will never meet in my life, has to say about me. Relax, man.

Obviously I was wrong in assuming those things about you, and for that I'm gonna go ahead and apologize. You've obviously worked hard and have some degree of dedication. You must understand however that it's easy to make those assumptions when you demonstrated little to no technical understanding, and simply spewed on about rankings and who 'deserves' to be where and who has beaten who has beaten who. That means all of jack shit in modern day MMA.

While I never once spewed anything about rankings and who deserves what, and I clearly exhibited an understanding of the game, not little to no technical understanding, I'll accept that apology. And I'll go ahead and admit that I'm not necessarily in the right for further heating up the conversation. I apologize for that. But I try to be very real about where fighters are in their careers. Poirier has essentially been a perennial top 10-15 guy for years, while Yancy has 2 wins in 6 UFC appearances. He wasn't brought into the fight to win, he was brought into the fight to aid in the continued ascent of Poirier in the LW division. He did that, and while it's always nice to see the expected fighter to win as is anticipated, I don't leap to label that kind of win as anything overly impressive.

BTW, why in the world do you keep referring to me as 'playa'?

was expecting a battle but porier put him away quiiiick

I am interested to see how far Poirier can go, honestly I don't expect him to ever be in the top 7, but matches vs Johnson, Ferguson, Pettis, Barboza, Martins, Magomedov and some featherweight fighters if they want to move up.

What's passive aggressive about an emoticon? Would you rather see me type HAHAHAHAHAHAHA? Nobody wants to read that.

Jesse Ronson? and you must mean James Moontasri? Maybe figure out what you're even trying to say before you come at me with misused sarcasm again.

What a genious you are to respond with adhominem after getting called out on it. Yes jesse ronson. Big deal that I called moontasri jason instead of james makes the whole point of my argument senseless to which you did not respond btw due to your ad hominem illness am i right boy.

Dustin always bosses around lower ranked fighters. I'll be more impressed when he does that to someone in the top 15.

I think Poirier is the king of dogfights really. He can rough it with the best, but if it becomes technical, he's going to have trouble. He's very good all around but not special in any area. I'm a big fan of his though, I'll be rooting against him in his next fight but he's definitely a valuable asset to the UFC. He's in about the same spot as Cerrone was a few years ago and he's still only 26 years old. We're going to be hearing his name for a long time.

Back