How Impressed Were You By Poirier/Medeiros?

I hate to be a douche bag, but to be completely honest, I wasn't very impressed. Medeiros is a long way from elite (I respect the guy, but he's done next to nothing to prove he's an A-class fighter), IMHO. That fight was about the equivalent to watching Rousey brutalize Bethe. Both Dustin and Rousey fought opponents SIGNIFICANTLY inferior to them. I don't find those kinds of fights exciting or particularly impressive. It's like watching a senior in high school pummel an 8th grader. Sure he's going to completely dismantle him - he's supposed to.

That's not mind blowing to me.

Not nearly as impressed as everyone seems to be. Who the hell is Yancy Medeiros? Poirier is and always has been a decent fighter but he has farrrr too poor a chin to become a contender (especially at LW) imo and wins over 2 cans does very little to change my mind

Lol. You're not educated enough to know who a fighter is so that makes them a can. Right.

Try watching some fights.

Lol.

Kevin Lee, Jason Moontasri, Michel Prazeres beat him within 2 rounds.

I actually think Medeiros beats all but Lee and thats 50/50 fight.

lol relying on fight finder I see? Despite only being TKO'd once, Poirer has been rocked in multiple fights by weak strikes. In fact, he got absolutely staggered against Akira Corassani; a grappler who has a whopping 1 TKO win on his record. I have absolutely zero confidence that his chin will hold up against the divisional elite because the guy eats far too many shots

And you're really splitting hairs on the definition of cans. Guys outside the top 30 = not a win that inspires much confidence. Happy?

So first you say two solid lightweights are cans and then bring oout the fight finder card....lol.

I hate to be a douche bag, but to be completely honest, I wasn't very impressed. Medeiros is a long way from elite (I respect the guy, but he's done next to nothing to prove he's an A-class fighter), IMHO. That fight was about the equivalent to watching Rousey brutalize Bethe. Both Dustin and Rousey fought opponents SIGNIFICANTLY inferior to them. I don't find those kinds of fights exciting or particularly impressive. It's like watching a senior in high school pummel an 8th grader. Sure he's going to completely dismantle him - he's supposed to.

That's not mind blowing to me.

Gonna go ahead and guess that you've never seen Yancy fight before.

I see Lee getting wobbled & dropped.
Moonwalker would get out grappled (though I like him)
& prazeres would get out worked in a decision & possible KO.

Taisumov isn't a safe bet. He's well rounded & has found
his stride it seems

Lee getting wobbled & dropped... you troll
Moontasri getting outgrappled... maybe even though Piorier has not displayed high grappling skills.
Prazeres getting outworked and possibly Ko'd... you troll big time.

Taisumov would knock his lights. Hillybilly goes down in one.

Dustin showed good kicks and also very good power. I'm expecting him to beat Duffy.

So if he beats Duffy, that will just be another can on his record, I guess.

It will be a better win for him but still, it's not over a top 20 guy. Duffy, despite the hype, still has a ways to go as does Poirer. It's a very good matchup and makes perfect sense right now but really, neither guy is a top contender yet. This matchup will give them a step up though.

Nothing against Poirer but I am sick of seeing posts saying the guy is "reborn" at 155. IMO, the weight change has nothing to do with it. Poirer was looking phenomenal at 145 too... against a weaker level of competition. When he stepped up, he lost. Now, suddenly he beats 2 weak level opponents at 155 and people suddenly think he's a top contender? Please... the same thing will happen

you're gonna go ahead and guess wrong. Very wrong.

Well then it's safe to assume that you just have no means of recognizing talent when you see it. Yancy is a legit fighter, Poirier steamrolling him like that was a statement.

Well thats just your opinion man, but Medeiros is a can.

This. Lol @ people saying "you don't know fights man, Medeiros is legit". I specifically remember trying to track down footage of the guy before his fight against Rustam and besides his 2 strikeforce fights, all I found was a grainy video of him fighting in some bush league. Seriously, the guy is a nobody. It's not like when Junior Dos Santos debuted as an unknown and then went on a huge tear against elite competition. Yancy has come in and floundered. I have seen all of his UFC fights and he is absolutely nothing special; people are wayyyy too defensive in this thread

So first you say two solid lightweights are cans and then bring oout the fight finder card....lol.

Solid lightweights? Lol. Ross Pearson is what I'd consider a solid LW. Guy isn't ever going to fight for a title, but he can give a lot of guys a decent fight. Yancy and Carlos are not "solid" competition

Last edited:
Well then it's safe to assume that you just have no means of recognizing talent when you see it. Yancy is a legit fighter, Poirier steamrolling him like that was a statement.

And you're entitled to your opinion. But I'm not fool enough to believe it for a second.

Who did he look stellar against?

Was it the world beater Joe Proctor? Maybe it was future champ Damon Jackson? Or the unstoppable Zeke Prados?

Oh, that's right, when he's faced upper echelon opponents like Miller, Poirier and Khabilov he... LOST. Two of those times he was finished CONVINCINGLY.

Come back when you've got a real fuckin' argument. Right now you're struggling to tread water.

And you're entitled to your opinion. But I'm not fool enough to believe it for a second.

Was it the world beater Joe Proctor? Maybe it was future champ Damon Jackson? Or the unstoppable Zeke Prados?

Oh, that's right, when he's faced upper echelon opponents like Miller, Poirier and Khabilov he... LOST. Two of those times he was finished CONVINCINGLY.

Come back when you've got a real fuckin' argument. Right now you're struggling to tread water.

This. And Miller has been on a drastic decline in recent years (he was the only person Pat Healy beat in the UFC) and yet he still walked through Yancy like nothing.

These arguments are all opinion based and really, I don't care if people think Yancy is a good fighter or not. I don't think he is, I wasn't surprised/impressed by Poirer beating him, and I don't see Poirer becoming a top LW fighter. That was basically the question the TS was asking and I answered it, I don't see why people are being pissy

lol relying on fight finder I see? Despite only being TKO'd once, Poirer has been rocked in multiple fights by weak strikes. In fact, he got absolutely staggered against Akira Corassani; a grappler who has a whopping 1 TKO win on his record. I have absolutely zero confidence that his chin will hold up against the divisional elite because the guy eats far too many shots

And you're really splitting hairs on the definition of cans. Guys outside the top 30 = not a win that inspires much confidence. Happy?

You accuse someone of using fight finder and then proceed to call Akira Corassani a 'grappler' due to the fact that he has 1 TKO win.

Hmm...

It's crazy anyone would disagree with that. Yancy isn't a bum. Beating him the way he did is absolutely a statement.

It's crazy anyone would disagree with that. Yancy isn't a bum. Beating him the way he did is absolutely a statement.

I didn't say he's a bum, but there's a difference between a top 25-30 fighter and being a top 10-15 fighter. If we're being honest with ourselves, we both know which class Yancy fits into.

I don't even need an argument, internet troll. I forget that I'm on Sherdog, where being a professional fighter with eight fights under big promotions under your belt doesn't mean jack shit. You're probably a much better fighter yourself! :rolleyes:

Obviously it's not the same level of impressiveness as wins like RDA's recent wins or Tony Ferguson's, but bear with me here. There are a lot of fans who actually train and can recognize skills and talent, no matter who they are watching fight. Technique is technique, and it can be recognized whether it's being used against Joe Schmoe BBQ champion or an elite, top of the chain professional. I'm not going around saying that Medeiros is a future title contender, he's not. For some of us however, there is a technical aspect to this sport that we factor into our picks and who we follow, instead of just looking at fight finder and spewing the 'who has he beaten? well who has he beaten?' shtick. Medeiros has some legit skills, sorry you're too dense to see them.

You're probably one of those guys who bitches and moans about 'name quality' of PPV's.

I didn't say he's a bum, but there's a difference between a top 25-30 fighter and being a top 10-15 fighter. If we're being honest with ourselves, we both know which class Yancy fits into.

Right. 7 billion people in the world, and being in the top 10-15 is the only thing that's impressive. The top 20-30 are obviously cans.

Back