How important is Protein, Creatine, Glutamine & EFA's for those who don't lift?

Ummm, I'm fairly certain that Americans get much more protein than they actually need. I could bring up a bunch of studies, but I'm lazy at the moment. Also, and you're saying that the skinny part of the population is skinny because they don't eat protein?? Eating protein doesn't magically build muscle mass, they're skinny because they don't lift. Americans get plenty of protein, but the sources that most of them get it from are questionable. Fried anything, red meats, etc. How many people eat plain grilled chicken breasts for meals? I bet you 10 times as many eat fried chicken tenders or chicken wings instead, which also leads to obesity.

These skinny people are overly skinny, any adult male should be able to stagnantly bench over 125 pounds with a decent protein rich diet. Also, you don't really need a study to tell you how much protein they get. Just looking around at what uninformed people eat is enough.

Its not like I'm saying they need to eat more fried chicken, they just need to eat more protein. A piece of fried chicken has more fat than protein, and the sides that generally come with it make the carbs greater than the protein, too. If protein (and it can) displaces bad carbs and fat in the diet, a high protein diet will always be better than a low protein one. When I was at work the place was loaded with fatasses. I made a few simple ass rules for them to follow and they all lost a few pounds, without exercising.

- Only drink water, no juice, no milk, no soda.. you'd be surprised how many people said, "NO JUICE???" "Its from fruit!!"
- Read the nutrition label on everything you eat, if it has more fat than protein, don't eat it, ever.
- When you eat chicken, don't eat the skin (everyone ate chicken at like 8 times a week)
- No bread with breakfast (which meant they had to choose something from the diner that wasn't a sandwich); everyone ate a few eggs and a few slices of bacon. (lol)

Bullshit.

Right, thats only about 750 calories. In a 2,000 calorie diet, that would only be 37.5%. In a 2,500 calorie diet, that would only be 30%.

Also, my milk jug says I should be eating 300-350g of carbs a day. If you wanna talk about getting fat.. those 300g+ of carbs are much more useless than extra protein. Anyone with over 12%BF that cares about aesthetics should be displacing some carbs with either protein or willpower.

yeah 175g of protein is not that much, especially if you're drinking shakes and milk.

Right, thats only about 750 calories. In a 2,000 calorie diet, that would only be 37.5%. In a 2,500 calorie diet, that would only be 30%.

Also, my milk jug says I should be eating 300-350g of carbs a day. If you wanna talk about getting fat.. those 300g+ of carbs are much more useless than extra protein. Anyone with over 12%BF that cares about aesthetics should be displacing some carbs with either protein or willpower.
300 carbs isn't useless for anyone training. Carbs are a much better source of energy than protein or fat.

176 g of protein is only 750 calories?? Hell, the shakes I take that have 40g of protein have between 400-640 calories each. I'm interested to see where you're getting that much protein with so few calories. Also, you do realize that carbs give you energy, and the are the main source of glucose for your brain? Of course your recommended amount of carbs coming from shit like potato chips is going to do more bad than good, but there's plenty of perfectly healthy sources of carbs that you should be consuming daily.

176 g of protein is only 750 calories?? Hell, the shakes I take that have 40g of protein have between 400-640 calories each. I'm interested to see where you're getting that much protein with so few calories.

That's because your shakes have a lot of other stuff besides protein.

1g carbohydrate ~ 4 calories
1g protein ~ 4 calories
1g fat ~ 9 calories

That's because your shakes have a lot of other stuff besides protein.

1g carbohydrate ~ 4 calories
1g protein ~ 4 calories
1g fat ~ 9 calories

Do you have the nutritional facts for the shakes you drink (if any)? I'm interested in seeing the facts of different brands of proteins.

Also, while those numbers you posted are correct, it doesn't take into account the digestability of the protein. Just because you're consuming X amount of protein doesn't mean that much protein is actually being effectively used by your body.

yeah 175g of protein is not that much, especially if you're drinking shakes and milk.

300 carbs isn't useless for anyone training. Carbs are a much better source of energy than protein or fat.

I was mostly talking about carbs for your average non-lifting Joe. Since his arguement was that 100g of protein a day is too much for someone that doesn't lift. If you're talking an athlete, especially one building strength, the rule is basically as much as you can possibly eat/afford. As long as it is healthy.

Also, if you're eating a protein shake with 40g of protein and 10g of carbs and 5g of fat, that counts as your fat/protein/carbs, not just "40g of protein for 270 calories" Its ~180 calories in protein, and the rest in whatever else.

Just like a Mcdonald's hamburger isn't your daily dose of fat, its full of empty carbs and a little bit of protein, too.

u can try packin some protein powder in a mixer cup so u can drink it down after rollin

Creatine, I'd recommend it before an MMA session for sure, even if you don't lift or anything.

Creatine would help with recovery but to take it BEFORE an MMA session? I think creatine upsets a lot of people's stomachs. Just take it everyday but I would never take it before rolling. Before lifting is fine, I do that sometimes though I prefer post for no reason in particular.

Creatine would help with recovery but to take it BEFORE an MMA session? I think creatine upsets a lot of people's stomachs. Just take it everyday but I would never take it before rolling. Before lifting is fine, I do that sometimes though I prefer post for no reason in particular.

I dunno, it doesn't really affect me very much as far as upsetting my stomach. I've always thought that you should take creatine about an hour before a workout to really get the benefits from it? Maybe someone can clear this up as true or not?

As long as you take creatine everyday it does not matter as much when you take it. Taken before a lifting session will help with the pump sensation but that is not needed for an MMA workout.

As long as you take creatine everyday it does not matter as much when you take it. Taken before a lifting session will help with the pump sensation but that is not needed for an MMA workout.

I agree. The only way the time you take it really should make a difference is after a heavy workout, cause you used it all up. Otherwise your body just has to wait until you eat to get more, basically.

I would think it's better to take the creatine after training, with your shake and some simple carbs to spike insulin

i use protein and glutamine but not creatine....

protein and glutamine are a must definitely but some people use too much protein and start substituting it for real food......I only take 1 shake a day with glutamine right after my workouts. glutamine has many benefits, the most common for people in training being it's recovery gains. i always hated creatine.....never been a fan, some friends of mine started using it before i even began training, and im already leaps and bounds ahead of them in the cardiovascular and am pretty much on par in the lifting department, though they are stronger in certain excercises. To me, it's all about proper diet and mental well being more then anything else.....

even if you dont lift or train

you still need protein, and efa's (everyone should be taking fishoil or so says every professor i've talked to)

dont think you really need the glutamate or creatine.

Back