How important is Cub Swanson's next fight? Do you write him off due to a losing streak?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, so Cub Swanson has been on a bit of a losing streak lately, maybe this is just me but I do feel so many times it's easy to write fighters off when sometimes they've gone through a bad patch, it happens and so many such as Cowboy and a recently more consistent Masvidal are proof of this.

As you guys know Cub is one of my favourites so I've been thinking about this for a while ever since his fight with Gracie was announced, I have nothing against Gracie but I really want Cub to win this fight as I do feel that it's just one of those frustrating situations lately where fights haven't been in his favour.

His losses haven't been bad losses either, two decision (Edgar, Burgos) and two submission (Ortega, Moicano) however I do feel Cub has still been looking great in the octagon and has the heart in his fights so I really don't feel he's written off yet but I am really hoping Cub wins this fight.

Answer this honestly as like I say, it is easy to see someone on a losing streak and automatically say they're done which we know isn't always the case so I was wondering what you guys thought here?

He always comes to win,wish him best,hell of an entertainer and warrior

He looked good in his last fight, despite losing. Due to the losing streak I hope they give him a gimmie fight just to get him a win at this point. He is always exciting to watch.

He always comes to win,wish him best,hell of an entertainer and warrior

Yeah, it must be so frustrating when you get a few losses in a row. I know Cub has said a few times whenever he loses he questions everything from himself to his team etc.. and this was before he was on a bit of a losing streak.

He's looked great in the octagon which is why I say I don't think he's written off yet but it's just been the fights he's had and the way they've gone, which I feel they're giving him again with the Gracie fight so if he does win this fight it will be a great win for Cub also.

I'm really hoping he gets the win and that's nothing against Gracie, I just really want this for Cub really no matter who the opponent is.

I doubt they'd cut him just yet, he's too much of a name for them to let him walk to belator, and his losses are all against high level guys. That said, he's getting on in years so it wouldn't surprise me if he hung it up after another one. I'd imagine the ufc give him someone easy next to get him back on track though.

Cub was always just shy of being an elite. Even if he starts winning again he'll never see another Title Shot.

He looked good in his last fight, despite losing. Due to the losing streak I hope they give him a gimmie fight just to get him a win at this point. He is always exciting to watch.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've not seen too much of Gracie to be honest as his debut was pretty quick but from what I can gather he's quite a submission artists too with the chokes etc.. (correct me if I'm wrong). This is why I feel if Cub does win this fight it'll be a great win for him but the UFC do seem to have been giving him these kinda fights quite a bit lately too so I guess we'll have to see.

I doubt they'd cut him just yet, he's too much of a name for them to let him walk to belator, and his losses are all against high level guys. That said, he's getting on in years so it wouldn't surprise me if he hung it up after another one. I'd imagine the ufc give him someone easy next to get him back on track though.

Yeah, this is my concern with the Gracie thing but as I say, we'll have to see. Cub is more than capable and as others have said, he has looked good in his fights recently so it's not like those losses are anything to be upset about as such, they've just not gone in his favour really.

Cub was always just shy of being an elite. Even if he starts winning again he'll never see another Title Shot.

I don't think he's bothered about a title shot, when he dropped out of the rankings recently he wasn't really bothered about it but he just loves to fight and entertain and bring on great fights for the fans.

I think he's more bothered about bringing another Doo Ho Choi classic than he is climbing the rankings and winning a belt.

For those who don't know, the fight with Kron Gracie is Oct 12th.

5ivye4admg931.jpg

He’s long done as a contender so I hope they put him in just bleed fights from here on out

He’s long done as a contender so I hope they put him in just bleed fights from here on out

Yeah, his fight with Doo Ho Choi I can never get bored of watching, in fact any fight of Cub's really he's always brought it and I've never seen anything less but he does come to fight and people love that.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've not seen too much of Gracie to be honest as his debut was pretty quick but from what I can gather he's quite a submission artists too with the chokes etc.. (correct me if I'm wrong). This is why I feel if Cub does win this fight it'll be a great win for him but the UFC do seem to have been giving him these kinda fights quite a bit lately too so I guess we'll have to see.

Submissions are his Achilles heel so seems like an odd fight to give him. I would've given him someone who will stand and bang.

Submissions are his Achilles heel so seems like an odd fight to give him. I would've given him someone who will stand and bang.

Exactly, that's what I was hoping his next fight would have been.

I find it a little unfair UFC have booked these kind of fights for him (again), I mean I know it's MMA and you have to be all rounded (which Cub is) but I also believe that it should be give and take too in regards to the fights you book for fighters be it on a favourable and not so much kinda level.

With Cub it seems to be the latter but we want to see another Choi fight, like Korean Zombie or something.

I respectfully disagree about Cub looking good in his last fight, he was getting tired by the end of the 2nd in his last fight, to me he looks shopworn and I feel like he has lost a step.
I want him to win his next fight though, I appreciate his heart and willing to stand in the pocket.

I respectfully disagree about Cub looking good in his last fight, he was getting tired by the end of the 2nd in his last fight, to me he looks shopworn and I feel like he has lost a step.
I want him to win his next fight though, I appreciate his heart and willing to stand in the pocket.

Oh dude, you're entitled to that (that's absolutely fine) but yeah, I'm really hoping he does win this next fight.

I don't doubt Cub for a second but my concern is the kind of fighter they've given him again, as @blaseblah mentioned above "Submissions are his Achilles heel so seems like an odd fight to give him. I would've given him someone who will stand and bang", I can't help but feel they've been a bit unfair with the fights they've booked him. I know this is MMA and you have to be all rounded (which I do feel Cub is) however there has to be give and take in regards to fighters when you book their fights and it seems it's not been so much with Cub lately for some reason.

I do feel he's very capable of winning and I hope he does but I'm sure you get what I mean :)

As long as he remains entertaining, I think he'll always have a home in the UFC. Win or lose, he is never boring. I respect that about his career.

As long as he remains entertaining, I think he'll always have a home in the UFC. Win or lose, he is never boring. I respect that about his career.

Yeah, he reminds me of Justin Gaethje in that sense. Gaethje has said a few times he doesn't care if he wins or loses as such, of course he wants to win but what he wants the most is to put on the most entertaining fights for the fans and I reckon Cub is the same. When Cub dropped out of the rankings recently he wasn't too bothered and I think he's more bothered about putting on another Choi fight than he is climing the rankings and winning a belt which I don't think he's really bothered about doing.

I mean, title reigns will no doubt be remembered but they often get forgotten about too where as good fights are always remembered.

Back