How important is athleticism in the UFC?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Jack Handy jr, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

Looking at the Pettis V Ferguson match up i noticed a lot of guys giving Pettis a chance though Tony is clearly the better wrestler, Bjj guy, and Boxer.

I think What people are intrinsically seeing when watching Guys like Anthony Pettis, GSP, Demetrious Johnson, and others is that they seem to be able to meld their natural athletic gifts, fluidity of complex movements. into the three primarily used weapons that comprise MMA Wrestling, BJJ, and Muay Thai.

Now imo there are guys that have the tools like Machida, Wonderboy, Forrest griffin, Florian, Michael Bisping, all great champion fighters but lack athleticism.

Then there's guys like Travis Browne, Anthony Johnson, that have great athleticism but lack the tools.

then there's the unicorns your GSP, Bones, Anderson, guys that have very good athleticism and elite tool sets.

And now Conor a guy with elite striking, passable wrestling and BJJ. A goodish athlete with one elite aspect of his game kicking and punching.

thoughts.

who'd I forget?

2. superpunch Gold Belt

Fedor

3. Keithhackney Banned Banned

I'd wager Forrest was a better athlete than Conor. I'd put Conor in the has tools but not necessarily a top athlete.

4. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

do you think he's unathletic?

5. superpunch Gold Belt

Depends how you think of it. Mighty Mouse is "unathletic" and is only able to compete because MMA handicaps for his athletic weaknesses. Fedor is small enough to be considered "unathletic" at HW, which is the only division that doesn't handicap for the weakness of being small. He has great attributes in speed, power, reflexes, etc. but size is an attribute of athleticism and Fedor is a 0 in it. Fedor is an example of skill overcoming athleticism.

6. bad_k Brown Belt

Athleticism is highly overrated and is clearly not the main priority in all combat sports.

Do you think Muhammad Ali was the best boxer of all time because he can run faster, jump higher and lift more weights than anyone else in his weightclass?

Let this sink in

7. Mammothman Silver Belt

It made Brock champ

8. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

I love Machida because an old long past full contact 80's Karate guy he brought us back to relevance for a short time. that said the man has almost zero athleticism.. i think that's why at the tip of the spear even with everybody including himself juicing he started to lose.

Machida has a better gas tank, better striking and better BJJ than Yoel Romero.. it was the canyon sized gap in athleticism that cause him to get destroyed in that fight.

I think that's a lot of what Wonderboy is running up against when he has to go with Woodley a guy who's just athletically on a different planet

9. aashmore Blue Belt

I think it would be more important the higher the weight class

Most of the lower weight guys are athletic. Technique is more important

Not as many athletic dudes with the big boys

10. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

RJJ says otherwise

11. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

No but Ali was extremely Fluid..and who knows maybe he did have a respectable vertical and 40 yard dash time. Fluidity is part of athleticism GSP is not a vary fluid fighter imo he is an elite specimen of a human with elite MMA wrestling passable striking and decent BJJ for a black belt i'm sorry his BJJ is not impressive...of course he'd choke me unconscious to the point where i shat on my self.

but i'm pushing 50 with a dad bod. A black belt in BJJ should have finished that Armbar he had Hardy in.

12. Paynebringer Titanium Ape Planet Belt... Always Defend ♠♠♠

Not that important, but you're better with it than without.

13. Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

I think Cain, DC, Brock, Travis Brown, Rothwell, are all very athletic.....ok rothwell is arguable

14. MrCoffee Brotherhood of Shitty Arguments.

[​IMG]

Important.

15. 20falarVerdades Silver Belt

A-level athleticism is the most important trait imo

16. Kryptt Dead Belt

How is this a question? Shouldn't those with such gifts shine amongst the plebeians?

[​IMG]

17. Njmma209 Banned Banned

Just keep following Greg Hardy’s rise to the top of the HW division in the next 1.5-2 years. Then you’ll realize how important athleticism is.

18. Skarsgard Brown Belt

I'd argue that Forrest was wonderfully athletic. Endless cardio, freakishly strong, and just a massive dude. He was just a basket case and couldn't put it all together after he got stopped a couple of times.

19. superpunch Gold Belt

Machida does not have better striking or, especially, BJJ than Romero..... Romero > Machida in a Sanshou match. Romero > Machida in a BJJ match. Machida has an outdated skillset. And Machida never juiced. DHEA isn't juicing. There's just so much bullshit here lmao.

20. Willek Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

[​IMG]