How important is athleticism in the UFC?

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looking at the Pettis V Ferguson match up i noticed a lot of guys giving Pettis a chance though Tony is clearly the better wrestler, Bjj guy, and Boxer.

I think What people are intrinsically seeing when watching Guys like Anthony Pettis, GSP, Demetrious Johnson, and others is that they seem to be able to meld their natural athletic gifts, fluidity of complex movements. into the three primarily used weapons that comprise MMA Wrestling, BJJ, and Muay Thai.

Now imo there are guys that have the tools like Machida, Wonderboy, Forrest griffin, Florian, Michael Bisping, all great champion fighters but lack athleticism.

Then there's guys like Travis Browne, Anthony Johnson, that have great athleticism but lack the tools.

then there's the unicorns your GSP, Bones, Anderson, guys that have very good athleticism and elite tool sets.

And now Conor a guy with elite striking, passable wrestling and BJJ. A goodish athlete with one elite aspect of his game kicking and punching.

thoughts.

who'd I forget?

I'd wager Forrest was a better athlete than Conor. I'd put Conor in the has tools but not necessarily a top athlete.

do you think he's unathletic?
Depends how you think of it. Mighty Mouse is "unathletic" and is only able to compete because MMA handicaps for his athletic weaknesses. Fedor is small enough to be considered "unathletic" at HW, which is the only division that doesn't handicap for the weakness of being small. He has great attributes in speed, power, reflexes, etc. but size is an attribute of athleticism and Fedor is a 0 in it. Fedor is an example of skill overcoming athleticism.

Athleticism is highly overrated and is clearly not the main priority in all combat sports.

Do you think Muhammad Ali was the best boxer of all time because he can run faster, jump higher and lift more weights than anyone else in his weightclass?

Let this sink in

I'd wager Forrest was a better athlete than Conor

I love Machida because an old long past full contact 80's Karate guy he brought us back to relevance for a short time. that said the man has almost zero athleticism.. i think that's why at the tip of the spear even with everybody including himself juicing he started to lose.

Machida has a better gas tank, better striking and better BJJ than Yoel Romero.. it was the canyon sized gap in athleticism that cause him to get destroyed in that fight.

I think that's a lot of what Wonderboy is running up against when he has to go with Woodley a guy who's just athletically on a different planet

I think it would be more important the higher the weight class

Most of the lower weight guys are athletic. Technique is more important

Not as many athletic dudes with the big boys

Athleticism is highly overrated and is clearly not the main priority in all combat sports.

Do you think Muhammad Ali was the best boxer of all time because he can run faster, jump higher and lift more weights than anyone else in his weightclass?

Let this sink in
RJJ says otherwise

Let this sink in

No but Ali was extremely Fluid..and who knows maybe he did have a respectable vertical and 40 yard dash time. Fluidity is part of athleticism GSP is not a vary fluid fighter imo he is an elite specimen of a human with elite MMA wrestling passable striking and decent BJJ for a black belt i'm sorry his BJJ is not impressive...of course he'd choke me unconscious to the point where i shat on my self.

but i'm pushing 50 with a dad bod. A black belt in BJJ should have finished that Armbar he had Hardy in.

Not that important, but you're better with it than without.

I think it would be more important the higher the weight class

Most of the lower weight guys are athletic. Technique is more important

Not as many athletic dudes with the big boys

I think Cain, DC, Brock, Travis Brown, Rothwell, are all very athletic.....ok rothwell is arguable

iu

Important.

How is this a question? Shouldn't those with such gifts shine amongst the plebeians?

tenor.gif

Just keep following Greg Hardy’s rise to the top of the HW division in the next 1.5-2 years. Then you’ll realize how important athleticism is.

I'd argue that Forrest was wonderfully athletic. Endless cardio, freakishly strong, and just a massive dude. He was just a basket case and couldn't put it all together after he got stopped a couple of times.

I love Machida because an old long past full contact 80's Karate guy he brought us back to relevance for a short time. that said the man has almost zero athleticism.. i think that's why at the tip of the spear even with everybody including himself juicing he started to lose.

Machida has a better gas tank, better striking and better BJJ than Yoel Romero.. it was the canyon sized gap in athleticism that cause him to get destroyed in that fight.

I think that's a lot of what Wonderboy is running up against when he has to go with Woodley a guy who's just athletically on a different planet

Machida does not have better striking or, especially, BJJ than Romero..... Romero > Machida in a Sanshou match. Romero > Machida in a BJJ match. Machida has an outdated skillset. And Machida never juiced. DHEA isn't juicing. There's just so much bullshit here lmao.

Let this sink in

Anthony-Joshua-012.jpg

Back