How important is a win/loss record to YOU as a fan of the fighters you support and winning titles?

I'd be lying if I'd say it didnt matter.

I'm a Machida/Fedor/Condit fan, and every fight of theirs still gets me excited, but theres obviously a difference when Fedor was fighting during his unbeaten streak compared to when he's had so many losses and is obviously out of his prime.

I'll watch fighters I like regardless of their record. A win/loss record doesn't matter in title fights as long as they are on a winning streak at the time. A fighter being 15-9 fighting for a title is fine if they are on a 5 fight win streak but they are going into the fight being like 3-6 in their last fights or something then that doesn't make sense. A title is supposed to be about who they are NOW and not based on who they WERE in terms of wins and losses all the time.

I'd be lying if I'd say it didnt matter.

I'm a Machida/Fedor/Condit fan, and every fight of theirs still gets me excited, but theres obviously a difference when Fedor was fighting during his unbeaten streak compared to when he's had so many losses and is obviously out of his prime.

Yeah, I appreciate your honesty and this is why I say there's no right or wrong as there's different things for us all in this regard.

I think a fighter for me all that doesn't matter, they're either great and bring great fights (hence why they're among my faves) or they don't so I still get as excited seeing them fight as much cause I know what they bring, like they're style etc.. too though I do get what you mean :)

I'll watch fighters I like regardless of their record. A win/loss record doesn't matter in title fights as long as they are on a winning streak at the time. A fighter being 15-9 fighting for a title is fine if they are on a 5 fight win streak but they are going into the fight being like 3-6 in their last fights or something then that doesn't make sense. A title is supposed to be about who they are NOW and not based on who they WERE in terms of wins and losses all the time.

Yeah but is there fighters who are on various winning or losing streaks that haven't been in the title picture but you still love them in general?

I guess an example of this would be Mike Perry, I can understand completely how he might be people's absolute favourite fighter, he might never win or title or might never be at the top but he's still one of the best fighters for some people simply for what he does and how he entertains when he fights yet there will be people out there who won't be a big fan of him because he doesn't have a consistent record, winning streak or titles under his belt if you get what I mean :)

Yeah but is there fighters who are on various winning or losing streaks that haven't been in the title picture but you still love them in general?

I guess an example of this would be Mike Perry, I can understand completely how he might be people's absolute favourite fighter, he might never win or title or might never be at the top but he's still one of the best fighters for some people simply for what he does and how he entertains when he fights yet there will be people out there who won't be a big fan of him because he doesn't have a consistent record, winning streak or titles under his belt if you get what I mean :)

Overall no but there might be a few cases where I show interest in a fighter but they turn out to be duds or over time they can never string anything meaningful together. I might start to lose interest but if there is a staple fighter that I like then I'll watch them either way. That's why I don't get it when there are big name vets on the card who are realistically past their primes and title contention abilities and people say it's a weak card just because it doesn't have the new flavors of the month fighting on it. I don't see Anderson Silva on the main card and claim it's a "waste of a slot. They should've put ____ in there" just because ____ is some new kid on the scene and had a decent debut or something.

Overall no but there might be a few cases where I show interest in a fighter but they turn out to be duds or over time they can never string anything meaningful together. I might start to lose interest but if there is a staple fighter that I like then I'll watch them either way. That's why I don't get it when there are big name vets on the card who are realistically past their primes and title contention abilities and people say it's a weak card just because it doesn't have the new flavors of the month fighting on it. I don't see Anderson Silva on the main card and claim it's a "waste of a slot. They should've put ____ in there" just because ____ is some new kid on the scene and had a decent debut or something.

Yeah I get that completely, I think that's a good point what you mention about Silva there, I think it's also a case of these guys have earned that spot too and they're always good to watch, sure in some cases people might not be as interested to see them but I think on a whole people are and they respect that, that new kid on the scene will get that spot too if he earns the same kind of career.

I suppose the difference is like an interest/intrigue in a fighter as opposed to being a fan, like there's a few fighters I like also that I enjoy watching fight but they're not like say the guys mentioned in my signature for example, even though I love watching them fight at the moment just as much if that makes sense.

Johnny Walker is probably an example of this, I'm not what I'd call myself a fan of his but I do like to see him, I do get excited when a fight is announced however it would probably be over time or a few more fights where I'd grow to be a fan where as on the other side you've got guys like Cub Swanson and Al Iaquinta for me that I love to see fight regardless, Al's got knocked a little now since his loss to Cowboy and there probably are people who have fallen off wanting to see him fight but for me completely opposite, because I just enjoy seeing him fight regardless and win or lose, he's very good in my opinion even with those flaws (such as not being able to get past Cowboy's reach for example), yet you'll hear people say "Oh he just lost to a journey man" (which Cowboy isn't but still) and those people previously would have loved seeing an Al Iaquinta fight being announced, if he happens to lose to Dan Hooker it'll still be the same for me if that makes sense because I know what he can bring, I know the fights he brings and I like his style also.

But yeah, I understand what you mean basically and I guess it is a case of those that you're enjoying their fights and momentum at the moment as opposed to those who you just love and enjoy to see fight regardless of all that stuff also.

Really great post by the way, thank you :)

There's something electric about watching the very best of the best.

Like Gaethje, yeah it's always awesome to see him stand and trade like a madman. But I wanna see this new and improved Gaethje that barely got touched against Cowboy

There's something electric about watching the very best of the best.

Like Gaethje, yeah it's always awesome to see him stand and trade like a madman. But I wanna see this new and improved Gaethje that barely got touched against Cowboy

Yeah, I think with the best of the best thing this all comes down to where they are in the division, like when they're at the top it's just a massive competition of the best fighters and the best fights, so when a favourite you like watching happens to get himself/herself up there then it's exciting.

Even though it's the same fighter, I get how that plays a part, I mean look at the LW division for example, we have Tony, Khabib, Conor, Gaethje, Dustin all up there, mix any of those fighters up in a fight and it's quite exciting so I do get what you mean.

But on the flip side (for me) it's not like massively important as great as it is, like now that Al Iaquinta has slipped a little in the rankings I don't look forward to his fights less or is he any less of a fave fighter to me, it's just awesome when he's at the top as a bonus if that makes sense :)

Also a really good post too so thank you too :)

I'd rather watch fighters that are exciting and put it all in there - ie. do their talking in the cage with the way they fight. Than loud mouths or guys who will play it safe (I understand why - as a title holder you have a bit more sway).

Hence, why I'm going to order the Mas vs Nate fight.

Obv the day after the loss it bothers me, but in the long term its fine. Its also annoying to deal with all the casuals making fun of a fighters record.
Or posting a gif of them losing every time a thread comes up about them

It’s great to see some of my favourite fighters win titles and important fights. I would rather they win them then lose them, but at the end of the day I’m a fight fan and enjoy watching exciting fights.

Depends on thenfighter. I would watch Whittaker and Adesanya even if they loss half their fights. The same can not be said about Khabib

Adesanya has become a point fighter since he stopped fighting cans

4 out of his last 5 wins have been decisions

I don't care about how many losses a fighter has.

A lot of people get caught up in it. You can have 15 losses but if you go on a good run and beat some real contenders, you should be able to get a title shot.

Being undefeated is cool, but honestly it doesn't matter to me. Any fighter can grow and evolve, so a bunch of early losses are meaningless if you start to put away top competition.

I can admire people who win at all costs, even entertainment, but if they lose I have less respect for those fighters. If fighters show new cool stuff, fight fun, or bring it, I will watch whether they 0-6. I just hate defensive/point fighters that lose.

I'd rather watch fighters that are exciting and put it all in there - ie. do their talking in the cage with the way they fight. Than loud mouths or guys who will play it safe (I understand why - as a title holder you have a bit more sway).

Hence, why I'm going to order the Mas vs Nate fight.

Yeah, Gaethje is an example of this in how I mentioned in the other post about him taking risks and not always playing it safe probably could have had a little less losses on his records but who cares, he risks that to bring us great and exciting fights and I love that.

Or posting a gif of them losing every time a thread comes up about them

Yeah haha, Askren and Masvidal is one that we continuously see and still we keep seeing the Conor and Khabib gifs, it's like really, it's boring now lol

It’s great to see some of my favourite fighters win titles and important fights. I would rather they win them then lose them, but at the end of the day I’m a fight fan and enjoy watching exciting fights.

Exactly, completely agree with this.

Like Cub Swanson for example, I doubt he's going to win a title now but I'm not bothered about that, I love to see him fight regardless where that's probably at the bottom of my list in regards to what's important.

Of course if he did, I'd love it and be absolutely over the moon but it makes no difference to me if he never did as he's still one of the best for me personally :)

I don't care about how many losses a fighter has.

A lot of people get caught up in it. You can have 15 losses but if you go on a good run and beat some real contenders, you should be able to get a title shot.

Being undefeated is cool, but honestly it doesn't matter to me. Any fighter can grow and evolve, so a bunch of early losses are meaningless if you start to put away top competition.

Exactly this!!! Such a great post!!

And like in the case with fighters who have been around a while too this can also be the same, it's just cause they've been around people will then question their ability yet they could just be on the same kind of thing (and it's not uncommon either), Cowboy's done it for example.

I can admire people who win at all costs, even entertainment, but if they lose I have less respect for those fighters. If fighters show new cool stuff, fight fun, or bring it, I will watch whether they 0-6. I just hate defensive/point fighters that lose.

You lose respect for fighters if they lose fights? Gaethje is one who takes risks and probably has losses on his record due to this but he goes all out and takes those risks which I love, I could never lose respect for him for losing fights?

Unless I've misread what you mean there as you mentioned about the defensive/point fighters at the end :)

Back