1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How I see Masvidal vs Usman playing out

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by dragonsfly, Feb 2, 2020.

1. dragonsfly ----------------------------

Interesting fight with different styles. I always wanted Mas vs Usman way before Usman vs MAGA-fraud. Credit to Covin tho! he fought a great fight but I always knew Usman was gonna overcome him I was not surprised and didn't even watch the fight as I fell a sleep but watched it the day after.

With Mas things become different and tbh I haven't seen before Mas getting LnP'ed and he always showcases great take down defence and tenacity in getting out of these positions so I don't see the fight hitting the ground many times and it will become mainly a stand-up fight. I favour Masvidal in this fight because if you take the Takedown threat away from Usman there is nothing he can do to Masvidal beyond that. Masvidal is the superior striker and cardio wise both seem to be equally good. It all comes down to who is the better striker and Masvidal is easily the better and superior striker. There is even a huge potential Masvidal getting the stop. I don't understand people favouring Usman in this fight. His not gonna LnP Mas that is for sure and beyond that he has no threats and it took him 5 rounds to put away Covin who has very weak striking game in my opinion while someone like Mas who is a great striker can end stuff quickly if opportunity presents itself not like Covin who is elementary level striker

2. surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

How exactly is Masvidal going to stop Usman from wearing him down against the cage and dragging him to the floor?

Usman isn't going to telegraph his shot from halfway across the cage like Askren and Maia did.

3. dragonsfly ----------------------------

I haven't seen him held against the cage before maybe it happen but i don't remember but normally it's difficult doing that to someone whos not tired. It will be difficult even getting on the inside without eating to many punches on the way in

4. surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

If he can manhandle Woodley, he can manhandle Masvidal.

5. Maori Brown Belt

Its been awhile but Im positive maia held mas against the cage just fine as well as took him down multiple times Round 1.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  6. moogie101 Brown Belt

Usman takedown. brutal ground & pound. End of Round. Round 2 repeat, but this time the ref stops the fight.

Usman didn't wrestle Colby because Covington has great wrestling & poor striking, Jorge is the reverse. Outside of a Hail Mary shot Jorge has NO chance, and Usman will set up his wrestling far better than Askren did.

7. ostlerrage Banned Banned

Nope. usman gonna drag him down and wrestle him to an easy dec win.

8. dragonsfly ----------------------------

Woodley has poor cardio imo and can easily get manhandled

I watched Khabilov-Mas and he had serious issues taking him down. Many of you will be surprised once Usman gets stuffed easily again and again

9. Big Tuppy Hole Gold Belt

Who has Usman stopped in 2rnds? If and wgen he wins it will be a lopsided decision decided by controlling Mas with sporadic offence .

10. SuBB Green Belt

masvidal with a flying knee

11. Silverstar17 Red Belt

Don't know why they feed Masvidal to Usman like that. Destroys the BMF storyline.

I guess Conor did not want anything to do with Masvidal at this point. Or Masvidal asked for what the UFC deemed too much.

Anyway for me this match is a huge bummer.

12. BooBoyMan Black Belt

<36>

Woodley has some of the greatest TDD in WW history... Usman is the only one who manhandled and dominated him.

13. JustAkidFrom209 Banned Banned

Manhandled a Woodley that had his mind in his rap album and whatever fucking TV show he has been. A focused Woodley imo wouldn’t get dominated like that. Mas found his new formula to success, I reckon a decision win for Jorge tbh.

14. winkydinks Banned Banned

Woodley didn't put the slightest bit of effort into their fight. Looked downright lethargic from round 1 on. It was in the top three of most pathetic performances I've ever seen.

Usman has one way to win. Humping Masvidal to a decision. Why? Because he's a decision machine and Masvidal never gets finished.

5 rounds is a long time to be in the octagon with the wild man that Street Jesus has become.

Idk who wins, but the people forecasting some dominant beatdown from Usman are out of their fucking minds. Masvidal is a very, very tough fight for anyone in the WW division rn.

15. LetThemBleed Silver Belt

Could well prove to be right given Usman likely starts their fight as the betting favourite but if Masvidal pulls out the win I think Conor takes that fight for a shot at the WW title as it's one of his better stylistic match ups available for him at 170 if he's at all serious about having a shot at the WW title. Do I think Masvidal would be a heavy favourite in any potential fight against Conor sure but Conor would at least be a live dog in that fight whereas I don't see how Conor beats Usman at all tbh.

16. Maori Brown Belt

Imagine if mas wins, mas vs conor for the ww and bmf titles makes for a super $ fight.

17. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

Fuck storylines. The division needs to move on. Entertaining this bmf bullshit just lends credence to the idea that the UFC is just like WWE. if jorge loses fans for losing to usman then he's better off without those "fans" then. Besides, who else was usman gonna fight next? And this whole bmf shit, imagine how badass jorge will be if he actually wins the title. This fight is a win win situation.

18. spooNN Black Belt

Call me crazy but I agree. Mas seems to avoid being hugged and held down in his fights and if it becomes mostly a stand up fight Mas should easily be favored here. It just comes down to whether Mas busts a Cerrone and freezes up in a big fight... again.

19. Jojomojo Brown Belt

Masvidal got taken down by Maia, whos abilities i dont want to downplay, but its safe to assume that Usman is way more athletic and not as telegraphed.
    Masvidal is a decent fighter but people hyping him up way too much. Bis best win in recent years is propably Till. Other than that he beat half-retired Diaz and koed Askren, which was awsome but hardly an indicator to anything. And somehow a Dude who couldnt cut it at LW is regarded as some superhuman fighter...

20. TheLastEmperorReurns Banned Banned

clinch striking like a G