How I interpret those who say Gustafsson beat Jones

Jones by a point, Gus whooped that ass tho.

"Leg kicks mean nothing"

It's still funny to me seeing so many people saying Gustafsson won the fight no questions asked as if it was a travesty of a decision, which pretty much made me realize that a ton of people don't value leg kicks at all since Jones threw mostly those in the first 3 rounds

They mean something, but not as much as the strikes Gus was landing to Jones face. They are JUDGES not strike counters, and do need some subjectivity- especially when grappling is thrown into mix (Jones got shut down). So judges use...

Judgement!!!

Last edited:
The only argument that can be made for a Gus victory, is that he narrowly won three uneventful rounds while point fighting against a champion who finished strong while he faded.

Gus knew the fight was close going into the 5th, yet he choose to fight to survive/not get knocked out instead of fight to win.

They mean something, but not as much as the strikes Gus was landing to Jones face. They are JUDGES not strike counters, and do need some subjectivity- especially when grappling is thrown into mix (Jones got shut down). So judges use...

Judgement!!!

Jones had as many takedowns as Gus, so grappling was even.

Aw, another Jon Jones fluffing thread to reassure his fanbase the big bad Viking isn't going to hurt him anymore.

how adorable.

Neither guy won the fight decisively. It could have gone either way and people want to see one or the other put an exclamation point to this rivalry. Jones said he would deliver this rematch after dealing with Glover. Time to make good on that.

Aw, another Jon Jones fluffing thread to reassure his fanbase the big bad Viking isn't going to hurt him anymore.

how adorable.

believe it or not, some of us dont give a shit about Jones nor Gus, but its clear JJ won the fight.

"Leg kicks mean nothing"

It's still funny to me seeing so many people saying Gustafsson won the fight no questions asked as if it was a travesty of a decision, which pretty much made me realize that a ton of people don't value leg kicks at all since Jones threw mostly those in the first 3 rounds

1st viewing- gus easy
2nd viewing-hhmmm

Key in the difference is EFFECTIVE striking
Were jones leg kicks more effective than gus's punches?

Depends on whose watching
Tds count for effective grappling
TDD count for octogon control

"Leg kicks mean nothing"

Did we already cover this after Shogun vs Machida I?

believe it or not, some of us dont give a shit about Jones nor Gus, but its clear JJ won the fight.

It's clear that it was a pretty close, hard fought bout.

A solid case can be made for either fighter getting the nod, saying one 'clearly' one is basically admitting you're biased towards one fighter.

Back