How I hung my 160# thai heavy bag

Trentk

White Belt
Reaction score
After doing quite a bit of research here and on other forums my friend and I hung my giant thai bag in my finished garage a few weeks ago. I didn't find many pics or "how to's" on how to do this so figured I would share. There are a bunch of different ways to do this, this is just how we did it.

My garage has a finished ceiling and basic 2x4 construction and the 2x4's are 24" apart. We had to reinforce the location where we would be mounting the bag so that we didn't screw the house up.

We used two sections of 4x4" mounted in between two "rafters" (mounted using the metal 4x4 frame mounting things from home depot), Then we drilled a hole in the center of a 4x4, mounted a 1/2"diameter (about 12" long) eye bolt with a nylock nut and big washers to the 4x4. Then we nailed in a 2x6" across the top of the 4x4's for more support.

Finally we nailed in two, 2x4's going from the horizontal "rafters" or "cords" to the diagonal cords. These are shown in the video as the two 2x4's going straight up.

We used a 300# spring to mount the bag to the eye bolt. It is one of those outdoor sitting swings springs.

It all seems pretty secure and it has held up over the past several weeks of abuse. My fiance does say she can hear some noise in the kitchen but that is it.

Unfortunately I am moving to a different house soon and the workout room has vaulted ceilings so I will be looking for a wall mount I guess, or maybe a two post metal frame.

here is the vid:

YouTube - Muay Thai Bag Mount.wmv

Thanks for the post! I've been looking for garage-heavy bag solutions and I amy give yours a shot in the coming months.

Sucks you have to move out!

moving sucks but at least at the new place I will be working out in the temperature controlled house. It is currently over 110 in my garage so working out in there is rough.

if anyone has an opinion on the wall mounts for heavy bags I am all ears. I have a hard time believing they can hold up to a 160# bag.

That spring is making some horrible noise though! :D

Back