How have we gotten to the point that Porier could face Khabib?

In his last 4 fights he submitted Showtime Pettis with a body triangle, he knocked Justin Gaetchje the fuck out, he knocked Eddie Alvarez out, and then he beat Max Holloway who was on a 13 fight win streak and the champ of 145.

That's how.

Can't argue that the dude is on an absolute roll. He's earned the Khabib fight

Completely different fighters. Max doesn't have Dustin's power, TDD, or scrambling ability. I never understood people thinking Max would have a chance against Khabib. He lacks the power to keep that fight standing. DP might lose, but there's a definite chance he lands something early. The dude can crack.
Dustin was gassed, another round Max finishes him.

People are counting Poirer out solely because he got punked by Conor like 5 fucking years ago. It's insane. he's improved a LOT since then. There is a real chance he keeps it standing and catches him with something.
There aer so many better stand up fighters. Khabib beat Barboza

The fights were close but he won them, and over big names at the time. Then when given the shot he won the title too. And by KO. Eddie is underrated around here. He's had a good career and a lot of big wins before he ever got to the ufc.
Yeah but when he got that shot how many straight fights had Tony already won but was passed over, how about Khabib?

I'm not much for conspiracy theory's but it's interesting that the guy chosen for that title shot over either of the guys I mentioned above also happened to be the best match up of the 3 for Conor while he was busy fighting at "WW" against another LW so losses wouldn't effect his shot at the LW belt.

Although it was definitely a hail Mary and I doubt the UFC thought he would actually pull it off but it ended up working out.

TS can't write nor think properly. Making a lot of dumbass threads.
When khabib beats him he will have his ready made “well I said he wasn’t that good didn’t I” bs excuse ready. I hate these type of MMA fans, a guy who is 17-4 in the UFC is apparently shit.

Fan boys need to fuck off from the sport.

Honestly David Poirier is solid.
But he's a gatekeeper that got sort of lucky.

So Justin G fighting Khabib for title is plausable, but a man who put away Justin with a KO in brutal manner is a gatekeeper who got lucky?

So Justin G fighting Khabib for title is plausable, but a man who put away Justin with a KO in brutal manner is a gatekeeper who got lucky?
I never, ever said that Gaethje should fight Khabib.
Might as well give jam to pigs.

In a word; timing.

In a few words; Lee went to ww, Tony is cte crazy, Real estate Al is fighting Cowboy, Conor turned into a literal keyboard warrior, Nate is... being Nate and Gaethje is working his way up after being finished twice in a row.

There aer so many better stand up fighters. Khabib beat Barboza
Barboza has no hands, and pressure takes away his kicking game. Poirer has good boxing, and won't need to open himself up by throwing kicks

Yeah but when he got that shot how many straight fights had Tony already won but was passed over, how about Khabib?

I'm not much for conspiracy theory's but it's interesting that the guy chosen for that title shot over either of the guys I mentioned above also happened to be the best match up of the 3 for Conor while he was busy fighting at "WW" against another LW so losses wouldn't effect his shot at the LW belt.

Although it was definitely a hail Mary and I doubt the UFC thought he would actually pull it off but it ended up working out.
I'm a big Tony fan, and I agree they're trying to keep him from the belt. While undefeated, prior to getting the shot Khabib didn't have a very impressive resume imo.

Porier beats a 145lber and gets a 155lb title shot makes no sense.. this is the same guy Michael Johnson smoked.
Don’t know why u
Not a porier hater but....he is not that good. The following fighters would beat him.

Khabib, Tony, Lee, Barbosa, Gacje.

He is wasting a Khabib fight. We all know he will get smoked, he looked half dead vs max
he already beat Gaethje homie.

Dustin has earned every bit of this title fight but you’re going a bit too far here IMO.

First, that fight with Gaethje was an absolute war and could have gone either way. Dustin could barely walk, and it’s difficult to guess how the final 9:30 would have gone if he hadn’t landed that bomb. Great win, but it wasn’t some dominant murking.

Second, he KO’d Alvarez once. In the first fight both guys got hurt, then Dustin took the no contest. (It’s amazing how every time a guy gets knocked out by a legal strike he is begging the ref that he’s fine to continue, yet every time a guy gets hit by an illegal strike he’s asking the ref what day it as and saying he can’t see).

I don’t think it’s too difficult to see why people didn’t rate Poirier more highly. Before those two fights he had a majority decision win over Jim Miller and a big KO loss to Michael Johnson. There wasn’t anything particularly positive to take note of until the Pettis-Gaethje-Alvarez streak of finishes that came next. That earned him the Holloway fight, which was the real barometer of whether or not he was a true contender. And he came up huge.

This happens a lot. Poirier is “finally” getting the respect as a contender because he “finally” deserves it.

Conor...

It was always Conor..

He single handly fucked up two divisions for years

I'm a big Tony fan, and I agree they're trying to keep him from the belt. While undefeated, prior to getting the shot Khabib didn't have a very impressive resume imo.

Khabib still don’t have a super impressive resume. His best wins are MJ who is a great fighter for one round then quits, Barboza who is a gatekeeper at best and has pretty much lost every major fight he’s fought, Raging Al whose best win is JLo and Lee who is terrible, and a washed up flat footed coked out Conor who never had any ground game. I did forget a RDA before he started showing any promise and all he did was lay on him. I believe he lost to Gliesean. I’m not impressed by Any of Khabibs wins. Joe Rogans commentary affects so many people and they don’t realize he’s good at selling u a bogus narrative, that’s his job as a hype man. I mean he had folks believe Rhonda could beat men lmao. Khabib is good but he hasn’t fought DP or JG or Tony he didn’t fight EA or Lee or Diaz.Those were the hardest fights in the division. Of his wins he has 2 finishes vs MJ who is a quitter and Conor who is a quitter too. He’s a decision machine that gassed against Al and couldn’t secure a take down after that. The UFC is all about creating narratives to sell u wolf tickets. People are such fan boils they don’t notice the actual match making tendencies and exam fights skill for skill without bias. They create hype and the illusion of the unbeatable guy when truth is at the top 5-10 level is can be anybody’s fight on a given day. No one is invincible or unbeatable at all. Also mma math is bogus bc it’s all about how weaknesses and strengths play out in individual fights. Look at the Izzy narrative now when he hasn’t fought anybody but Kelvin who only really beat Bisping and lost a shot Weisman. Izzy only won that cause KG gassed bc the guy has no discipline or he’d be fighting at 170 like he should be. And people think Silva is legit, come on guys he’s 44 years old and been on a skid for years beating no one but a bogus dec to Brunson who is dangerous for about 39 seconds and has been finished in last 3-4 fights. Please people wake up

Porier is slow, sluggish has poor stamina.

Dunno know about slow and sluggish. He does have poor gas tank bc he loads up on shots and then u can see em coming. He needs to learn from Max and just touch a guy until the hard shots present themself. He whiffed bombs a bunch in this last fights. That’s why he got tired. He trains hard but his fight IQ laccs at times. He gets emotional and forgets to fight smart.

Eddie wasn't gifted a shot though.
Dude come in he went 2-1 before his shot and One was a split decision and one shoulda been stopped bc his eye was swollen shut. Absolutely gifted a shot. Dunno why either.

max literally didn't put on any muscle..he just looked a bit smoother...so he was bit fatter with more water weight...that seemed to slow max down and take away his cardio a bit...definitely did not help him.
I told folks this might happen before fight and everyone laughed at me. Not laughing now.

Back