How has BJJ changed your life?

Digitsu

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Please share stories of how BJJ has changed your life. Be it a change in diet, maybe it got you to quit smoking, maybe you're a more relaxed person etc.

Jiu Jitsu has changed my life in a lot of ways that it has for a lot of people, but prior to Jiu Jitsu I was married ... after 3 years of training I got divorced.

Jiu Jitsu is the other woman and I cheated on my wife with it every day.

I recently decided to take a break for a few months from training. The crazy thing is I was awarded my purple belt this past Feb. on what would of been my 5 year anniversary.

The universe is a strange place if you pay attention.

I really like it because it makes me happier.

Jiu Jitsu has changed my life in a lot of ways that it has for a lot of people, but prior to Jiu Jitsu I was married ... after 3 years of training I got divorced.

Jiu Jitsu is the other woman and I cheated on my wife with it every day.

I recently decided to take a break for a few months from training. The crazy thing is I was awarded my purple belt this past Feb. on what would of been my 5 year anniversary.

The universe is a strange place if you pay attention.

wow.

it made me create threads that i never respond to and use for my fb page

A dislocated AC joint and the next 4-6 weeks off work with possible surgery :icon_cry2

but other than that, it makes me feel good, I am a more relaxed person when I'm getting my regular BJJ fix.

Its easier to ignore stupid people. I drive slower & don't get road rage. Im more willing to say sorry to my wife, even when she is wrong.

I quit smoking and took up jiu jitsu right away after. It's been two and a half years since I quit smoking.

Lost 15 lbs. and found a passion for something positive, physically and mentally. Met some awesome people and learned the value of hard work and a healthier lifestyle. Spent more money on bjj gear in a year and a half than I have on clothing in the past ten years combined.

It gave me confidence when I was a scrawny wiener. I met my fiancee and some of my close friends through jiu jitsu.

It re-kindled my love of martial arts, and set the stage for the next 25 years of my martial arts training.

Plus, it gives me a physical outlet that I need with my job and young kids.

It has given me a hobby that I, hopefully, pursue for the rest of my life. I seriously plan on being involved with BJJ in my 70s, if I am healthy.

Made me really clean up my diet and feel more relaxed throughout my everyday life. Made me realize that most everything in life is going to be O.K

Became a certified bad ass. I had to register with the sherriff's department. Minor inconvenience...

In the 3 or so months of BJJ I have:

1. Lost 23 pounds.
2. I am more conscious of what I eat. Doesn't mean I'm in this strict diet, but I'm certainly eating much better.
3. I just about gave up soda and drink about 4x more water.
4. I was an alcoholic in denial. I would drink at least a 6 pack a night, or drink until I felt a "buzz". Now I can stop myself after the second beer or one glass of wine. In fact, most of the time I don't feel like drinking.
5. I feel much better overall, other than a constantly sore neck and sore joints.

I'd say that BJJ has changed my life very significantly in just 3 months. And now I look back and shake my head at why did I let myself go like that all these years.

In the 3 or so months of BJJ I have:

1. Lost 23 pounds.
2. I am more conscious of what I eat. Doesn't mean I'm in this strict diet, but I'm certainly eating much better.
3. I just about gave up soda and drink about 4x more water.
4. I was an alcoholic in denial. I would drink at least a 6 pack a night, or drink until I felt a "buzz". Now I can stop myself after the second beer or one glass of wine. In fact, most of the time I don't feel like drinking.
5. I feel much better overall, other than a constantly sore neck and sore joints.

I'd say that BJJ has changed my life very significantly in just 3 months. And now I look back and shake my head at why did I let myself go like that all these years.

Keep on trucking, my friend... Three months; you are still an infant. Make sure these positive changes stay permanent. You might lose some people from your previous life. Just keep on keeping on.

Made me really clean up my diet and feel more relaxed throughout my everyday life. Made me realize that most everything in life is going to be O.K

Call me a sucker, but I like these feel good stories... Thanks for sharing.

When I am ninety or one-hundred or so, I was thinking it would be cool for a teammate to carry me on to the mat to work arm bars on me. Treat the youngsters well, hopefully they will return the favor in the future.

Although jiu jitsu has changed my life in many positive ways, I still do not consider myself a jiu jitsu guy, competitor, athlete, fighter, instructor, jiu jitsuka, jiu jitiero, jedi. Those are just small parts of a much wider skill set.

Jiu jitsu has delivered me to a paradigm shift on many levels.

Back