*How hard is for a guy like Conor to improve drastically his gas tank?*

Leg kicks, and showing up for a five round fight and not a home run derby would be a good start.

Like many sherbros suggested...being efficient with his energy.

Using his advantages over Nate (Speed and Timing).
If he wants to keep up with Nate....i don't think thats possibe in that time/ever.

If he can counter attack Nate's pressing style with good shots....well there is my big question. Who can last longer...Nate's Chin or Conor's ability to stay the quicker fighter.
If Conor stands against the cage, exhausted, allowing Nate to unload on him...i don't think he can survive that.
But if he somehow manages to stay calm and pick his shots wisely....i believe he can catch Nate.

60-40 in Nate's favor....im really looking forward for 202

He was throwing absolute haymakers in the first fight, trying to take Nates head off with every shot.

He can pick his shots more wisely, and not load up as much.

That being said, he will never out-cardio a Diaz brother.

The problem there is that if he takes his foot off the gas and doesn't jump all over Nate, Nate swarms him with that high pressure Diaz style. The only way to keep Nate off you is to back him up and put him on the defensive. Whether that's by using takedowns, leg kicks, heavy punches, or whatever, you cannot ramp down your output and expect not to find yourself against the cage with Diaz firing away on you.

I don't care how much he improves his cardio, once Diaz starting landing he couldn't deal with the punches. He can run a world record marathon but those punches are gonna hurt the same.

Learn how to throw a jab, stop getting slapped

I think his cardio will be fine, last time he wasn't strict at all with his diet when he knew he was fighting at 170, he won't make that same mistake again. He will also be much more efficient with his energy unlike last time. Dont think his cardio will be too big a problem this time

Considering Conor's gas tank was an issue on the first fight and would/could be a turning point in tne second, how hard is to improve your gas tank so it would turn from a "con" to a "pro"? I mean, could Conor train in a such a way, from UFC 196 to UFC 202, so he could last 4-5 rounds with no problem?
He did really well for the first and second round, but he did seem to tire out, and once he got hit hard by nate diaz it seemed nate just had that better pressure onwards.

Yes he can improve his cardio greatly. I went to the Marine Corps, being a very unfit guy, to running 3 miles everyday in about 6 months time. It really just takes hard work and dedication; something I lack in now lol.

All that said yes he can do it. I also wish he would make himself into a ground fighter too. Yes it's been weak, but with MMA being anything goes, why be an all stand up fighter with the possibility of having stale matches when you could strike, take them down, and strike there?

1. He's not going to out cardio Nate. He would need years of endurance training for that.

2. He's not going to the same damage if he doesn't go for broke.

His best bet is to go for the kill in the first round then throw in the towel is the fight last longer than that.

You see those hills? Sprint them. And then do it again. Mutiple times everyday until the fight.

I doubt that Conor could improve cardio much. He was likely in great cardio shape, as he had trained for many weeks to fight RDA, getting ready for the biggest fight of his life.

Conor needs to try to set up his left better. It will be interesting to see what he does in the rematch. The "inefficient with my energy" meme is really accurate, as he wasted a lot of energy with power shots that missed or were blocked.

Nate, on the other hand, mostly used his jab to set up the 1-2. And when it finally landed clean, one shot had more of an effect than all of Conor's combined.

He was throwing absolute haymakers in the first fight, trying to take Nates head off with every shot.

He can pick his shots more wisely, and not load up as much.

That being said, he will never out-cardio a Diaz brother.
Exactly, unless he step in some marathons right now.

Conor is a male version of Amanda Nunes minus the BJJ.

Getting hit in the face effects cardio, he should try not to do that.

Conor always takes shots (many unnecessary). He was able to get away with it at 145 but not likely in higher weight classes.

Not spamming wheel kicks would probably help.

Haha, this.

I don't think his gas tank is that bad. But anyone is gonna gas when they're tryna throw one-bomb finishers constantly. I remember him looking energetic at the end of his decision wins. Hejust needs to show Nate some respect, strategically speaking.

I reckon the rematch is a closer contest, but Nate is winning again. Respect to connor for trying though. Not sure many in his position would've went to fight at 170 for the challenge.

Considering Conor's gas tank was an issue on the first fight and would/could be a turning point in tne second, how hard is to improve your gas tank so it would turn from a "con" to a "pro"? I mean, could Conor train in a such a way, from UFC 196 to UFC 202, so he could last 4-5 rounds with no problem?
His gas tank could have been off for any number of reasons. It was his first fight in the UFC outside of 145, his first fight where he didn't have to cut weight. I'd bet part of it was just lack of experience.

Back