How hard do you guys train?

thrustyourhips

White Belt
Reaction score
It seems like a ton of people at my school are going down with knee injuries. I was wondering if you guys thought there was a correlation between how hard you train and likelihood of getting hurt. For the most part, I train pretty light, maybe 75%, play a lot of guard in the gi, which can have some stalling involved. I haven't gotten hurt yet, but the one time I thought I almost did (knee popped, but no damage) was a day I decided to really roll hard.

Should you train 110% all the time or train like 75% and not risk getting hurt. I'd hate to have to take a 6 month break because of being too aggressive.

Thoughts?

I try light/medium intensity and tap early rather than late. Once in awhile, you have to "train like you fight" (which I hate), but you've got to do it just to prove that you can. If I'm lucky I can switch on that mode once a month

are you guys serious?????? not to be billy badass but i think you should train a lot harder than that.

My injuries are more related to who I roll with. I never got injured with high belts. I get injured with newbies.

I try light/medium intensity and tap early rather than late. Once in awhile, you have to "train like you fight" (which I hate), but you've got to do it just to prove that you can. If I'm lucky I can switch on that mode once a month

this. but i have a few monsters that i just have to go 100% on because they're bigger and more skilled. if i hold back they're bored to death. they usually run over me even when i do go full force anyway. other than those few guys, i think light and smooth movement is key.

by the way, your sig is the tits. "is this a declaration of war? is this some white ****s joke that black ****s don't get? coz i'm not fucking laughing, nicholas!"

sometimes train really hard, then taper it down for bit.

it's cyclical, helps me recover when i'm feeling overtrained.

It really depends whats going on in my life at the time.

When I've got very little on the go and can focus on bjj... I like to train as if I'm preparing for a tournament.

Other times, its really just about showing up a few times a week and rolling at about 40-50%.

Unless my opponent is a brand new white belt or physically very small, I am always trying hard to submit him. So I guess I'm always training "hard," almost as hard as I would in a competition. But I try not to "muscle" moves that aren't there, and I am pretty relaxed and always pacing myself. If I used a lot of energy improving my position, I will take a short little "break" to catch my breath.

I have kind of a nagging knee pain and I pulled my groin one time. I also got a mild shoulder sprain one time from being taken down. No serious injuries so far though.

I roll hard, but drill and practice techniques light, so overall my workout is medium/light. When I'm at the gym lifting weights or whatever, I go medium/hard.

Depends on who I'm training with. If I'm going with a Blue Belt or higher I'm going to go pretty hard, not 100% intensity but as hard as intense as I need to in order to get the tap. If I'm with a white belt I take down the intensity to where I can get subs and position easy without using much strength at all.

I dunno, when I roll I'm not trying to kill anyone but I do try to win. I guess you can call that 80%. Just rolling to me should be as effortless as possible so if I am huffing and puffing and trying to force things I try to calm myself and slow down a bit.

are you guys serious?????? not to be billy badass but i think you should train a lot harder than that.

Which is why in 3 years you'll either quit due to injury or be too injured to compete.

Train a lot, but don't train "HARD". Roll smart, not hard.

I go medium, hard, hard, hard, medium, and light. Sometimes I go medium-hard or medium-light.

I listen to my very body very carefully. I try not to "strain" at any time unless I am down in points in a big match with time running out.

People say I go hard all the time but it's not true...

I go hard pretty much all the time. The only times I don't is when I go against someone smaller or a white belt. My instructor pairs us up according to size and skill level, so I rarely go against someone smaller or a white belt.

You can train at 100% and not get injured as long as you aren't a spaz

As hard as the other guy is training. I just base the roll on his intensity, since I am usually bigger.

Medium-light. It's been my experience that when I go hard, my technique suffers.

But still, I'll go hard a few times a month.

(there's an easy joke here, can you find it?)

I go fast but not hard, if that makes any sense.

My gym is pretty laid back, which is why I like it. Everyone rolls at a pretty relaxed pace, although I will gradually add more aliveness if I'm feeling it. I like that I can train a lot without any major injuries and yet still feel tired after class. Balance I suppose.

Back