how hard against higher belts?

Its just time and patience, Im sorry to say this but your going to suffer for about 6 months to 1 year, but once thats over, your technique will be far better than that of the majority.... take time to listen to your teachers, ask questions(your a new guy, you have every right), when you get to around 6 months, try fighting in a tournament.. its the best way to find out what your skill level is at your weight, especially since you don't have anyone your size around..

what I do when rolling with the black belts is think ..

1)what am I having problems with.

2)what do people always do to me.

the I try to do it to the black belt and watch how they defend. I do it several times and see if they defend the same way. If they do next time I am sparring purples and they try it on me then I use what I learned from the black belt.

work on the little things and try to create less wholes in your game. 3 months isnt really alot, I would focus on stamina mostly. Then on Basic escapes.

I was never known as the biggest, baddest, or strongest. But what I was known for was the one who would seek out the highest ranked in teh room and spar with them untill the black belt said "OK Im done.' ... even if it took me tapping 10 times to submissions to get there.

Roll with your partner not his belt. Mentally speaking, setting up by telling yourself the advanced belt will beat you is probably not a good idea. In fact its self handicapping. Instead, when rolling with an advanced belt, look at it as an opportunity to learn. There are holes in everyones game even black belts. They just get smaller and smalelr as training progresses. Just look for the holes. Many advanced belts want to tap you out. Use this knowledge of their offensive mentality against them. Dont be afraid to attack. If they are responsible they'll be rolling hard but not looking at you for target practice. If they tap you, ask how, if you cant make your moves work, ask why. If they deserve their belt theyll be happy to help you out. Also, be mindful of the hunters. Upper belts that get off on dominating white belts. Use them as an opportunity to develop positional jiu jitsu, body toughness and as a means of observation. Hope this helps

You need a mixture of skill levels IMO.
people at a lower standard than yourself to work on developing new moves (basically drilling in free training mode)
same level for competitive back and forth rolls (my fave)
Higher up guys to really push yourself (and get your ego checked)
I'm no expert, just my 2c

You will get subbed - a lot - but try not to get caught the same way twice and you'll be on your way to a good defense. Ask them what mistakes you made and what they think you should improve.

I envy you for getting to roll with a group that good. I'm a 145 lbs grappling n00b (who's watched a crapload of instructional videos) but still pretty much only lose to the top three guys and I think that really hampers my improving.

Edit: Oh, and I give 100 percent when grappling the best guys (and I go for sweeps and subs). I go out of my way to avoid injuring them, though, so I don't spaz, I don't do moves where I risk headbutting them or such and I don't practise moves I'm not sure I can fully handle.

Here's an idea. Take a technique, armdrag, a sweep, whatever.. And drill it everyday and every night. Make it your own. Make it perfect. Make if your sweep, or technique. give it some time and you will start to nail some of these guys with it. You're not tapping them, but it will feel kinda good that you are starting to progress and that you nailed something on them.

Give it a try, let me know how it goes. I can appreciate how it is to be the small guy. I only weigh around 145lbs and i was always outweighed by far better grapplers. I worked on my armdrag technique for months and started taking the backs of the guys who had been training years before me. I started tapping some people every now and again and it felt good. You just need to feel you are progressing. Practice one move and it will help.

Trust me bro BJJ is just as bad at heavier weight...im 6'3 and 229 and i still get beat up on a daily basis...i've been doing it since around August and yeah i can pretty much just power my way through people as good as me...and i'll admit when i first got there i thought i was real tough cause people as good as me i was just throwin them around muscleing them into submissions that kind of thing...then i was "invited" to roll with a brown belt that said he had been watching me...he told me that we would go until i quit...not just tapped out...completely quit so i was like oh yeah i'll just muscle this guy too he's only like 145...lets put it this way i was tapped i would say 8 times in maybe 4 minutes...you just gotta stick with it...from the sounds of things your doing good just keep with it and in no time you'll be fine...

I've always felt abit sorry for the big guys
I hear people saying "They're just too big"
Even when they're as skillful as hell.
As a small guy it's the opposite.
There's nothing to lose
:)

Man when I go against the blues we are almost on the same level. Then I go against the purples and it's complete domination. I'm a white belt myself and going against higher people is really awesome. You may get frustrated and see yourself getting nowhere but god damn I gurantee you your sub defenses and escapes are off the chain. Keep sluggin away.

Back