How good would Brock have been if he trained at a major camp?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He set up his own camp in flyover country and didn't allow guys to punch him in the face. So it was basically a camp of guys getting paid to say yes to everything he said. When he fought Cain, that showed and he got wrecked by the guy who learned to do much more than wrestle and lift. What if, however, he trained at ATT or something? How good would he have been?

He would be calling the entire HW division a POS, not only Ngannou and Miocic

He came too late. I wonder how good he would have been had he been training since he was young.

He beat people more because of his athleticism than due to his skills. Even though his background was great and he was obviously talented, he would have been even better had taken up the sport when he was younger.

A little bit? Outside of his college wrestling background he was 12+ years removed from his total MMA training time is only a couple of years.

Considering how bad CTE can be in training maybe Brock is on to something

I also heard a lot of other fighters don't ever spar they save it for fight

Brock was smart he had the wrestling he didn't need to strike he was too old by then he learned it enough to stay average and just takedown donkey kong smash

Cane fight he still had diverticulitis I think physically he looked like shut in that fight he actually got the first takedown but looked drained before he even took him down

In todays MMA...Brock with Jeff Novitzky in his corner would be like Jordan and Pippen.
Who gives a fuck about technique...just go Brock Smash.

Don't think it would have made much of a difference. He was too old by then to really learn anything of significance..

A better question is how good would Brock have been if he started training mma at a young age?
He still looked in great physical shape at 40 against Mark Hunt and that was plenty of time to learn a full skill set by though.

Brock had multiple coaches helping out. When he brought in Greg Nelson, he made some significant improvement in his striking defense and his GnP game. Prior to that most of his camps were S&C + sub defense. As a fighter he never really had a chance to develop before his health became an issue. He could only implement a UFC 1 level gameplan, and still managed to get the title and defend it.

It's scary to think about what someone like Abdulmnap could have done with 3-5 years of solid instruction. The thought of someone with Brock's sheer size and strength implementing the patented pressure grappling and smesh gameplan is terrifying.

He still looked in great physical shape at 40 against Mark Hunt and that was plenty of time to learn a full skill set by though.
The skill set that Brock was lacking in was striking. It takes long ass time to become proficient at that skill set..years..

I don't know, he's always come across to me as a guy who thinks he knows best. So I could see him clashing with his coaches a lot if they weren't yes men.
They weren't necessarily yes man, from what I remember he just tailored his training to his specific needs. His striking was always his weak point and he probably figured he couldn't learn that to the extent of being competitive against elite strikers within the time frame he was training and fighting. He worked on it enough but it was always used to set up his strengths. He tried to maximize on his strongest skill set and considering his short mma training and fighting time he was able to achieve a lot. Name coaches that have improved someones skill set in that short amount of time similar to Brock Lesnar. Most people learn from multiple coaches and work their overall game over a long period of years to get to that level. Most people have been training and fighting for over 10 years. Brock trained a few years only and was competitive at the highest level.

They weren't necessarily yes man, from what I remember he just tailored his training to his specific needs. His striking was always his weak point and he probably figured he couldn't learn that to the extent of being competitive against elite strikers within the time frame he was training and fighting. He worked on it enough but it was always used to set up his strengths. He tried to maximize on his strongest skill set and considering his short mma training and fighting time he was able to achieve a lot. Name coaches that have improved someones skill set in that short amount of time similar to Brock Lesnar. Most people learn from multiple coaches and work their overall game over a long period of years to get to that level. Brock trained a few years only and was competitive at the highest level.

He did use his strengths very well. The only issue I found with his training was that he didn't seem used to getting hit. I think him having a bad chin is a myth as his chin always looked fine to me, it's just he didn't seem to react well to being hit hard. More sparring might have fixed that (Also might not have).

all of Brock's problems are literally in his mind. he doesn't have a bad chin, mentally he becomes overwhelmed by the strikes. his panic stems from him not knowing what to do when getting hit. the same thing happens when he strikes. if he had more confidence in his striking he could've really destroyed Overeem. this is coming from a person who wanted Overeem to win, but during the fight i was shocked at how many fucks Reem did not give for Brock's striking. rightfully so, but still, he got cut open by a half assed bitch slap from Brock. had he thrown a right hand with conviction instead of a slap, he would've been flatlined.

Back