How good was Ricco Rodriguez?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I see a few threads about the fighters from the past, but I think Ricco for me might have been the one who just didn't live up to the huge potential he had.

So the question is, how good was Ricco Rodriguez?

Beat Nog in Pride....

Edit...

<PlusJuan>

I think this is why fucked up judging should stop, you know what I mean. If Ricco didn't get robbed against Nogueira, his entire life may have changed. He probably eventually got a shot at Fedor, and probably didn't bounce around in smaller orgs.

Last edited:
He was a great fighter who was only good because of his drug problem

Reactions: mkt
He was good, very good. Good enough to lose a close and very well judged decision to Big Nog.

For the boys who still think it's State Commission rules in Pride, read up on judges criteria. Laying on top doesn't earn as much as going for subs and leading the action.

He was good, very good. Good enough to lose a close and very well judged decision to Big Nog.

For the boys who still think it's State Commission rules in Pride, ready up on judges criteria. Laying on top doesn't earn as much as going for subs and leading the action.

What. In no planet earth should Ricco have lost that fight against Big Nog.

I mean at least when Fedor fought Arona and it was in Rings and at least Fedor's sub attempt look like they were like locked.

Nogueira's sub attempts looked like it was nowhere near close imo.

I think this is why fucked up judging should stop, you know what I mean. If Ricco didn't get robbed against Nogueira, his entire life may have changed. He probably eventually got a shot at Fedor, and probably didn't bounce around in smaller orgs.

Rodriguez was a ticking time bomb.

Amazing fighter, underachiever.... could have done even better.

Reactions: mkt

For the boys who still think it's State Commission rules in Pride, read up on judges criteria. Laying on top doesn't earn as much as going for subs and leading the action.

This lol cant believe ppl are still parroting that myth when a PRIDE judge himself whos also one of the GOAT coaches clarified it like 2 decades ago

That said prime Ricco is a problem for most HWs ever. One of the best grapplers ever at the heavier weights and a solid enough allaround game to compliment it

What. In no planet earth should Ricco have lost that fight against Big Nog.

I mean at least when Fedor fought Arona and it was in Rings and at least Fedor's sub attempt look like they were like locked.

Nogueira's sub attempts looked like it was nowhere near close imo.

Wrong

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/PRIDE-Judge-Matt-Hume-Defends-Nog-vs-Ricco-Decision-1157

"Let’s take a look at the recent match between Nogueira and Rodriguez to better understand the criteria:

1. Effort to finish by KO or submission:
Nogueira wins by a large margin due to his multiple submission attempts and active attack. Based on this, there is no reason to consider any further criteria as they are in descending order, however, for educational purposes we will continue.
2. Damage:
No damage from striking by either party. Possible damage from deep Kimura in round 3 by Nogueira, however, no award given to either.
3. Standing combinations and ground control:
Neither fighter showed superiority in standing skill. Nogueira dominated ground control as he constantly went for submission and gave away neutral position for inferior position, yet he was able to move back to neutral position with relative ease each time. Nogueira also had a forced reversal. Rodriguez had a reversal while Nogueira was passing guard. Forced reversals are more difficult to achieve and more valuable for ground control. Rodriguez was warned many times throughout the match to improve position but chose to stay in neutral guard without damaging strikes or attempts to pass to dominant position.
4. Takedown and defense:
Nogueira scored one clean takedown and defended 2 times. Ricco scored 3 Takedowns. Ricco wins this criteria.
5. Aggressiveness:
Nogueira wins by a large margin due to his many attempts at submission and his forward progression while striking. The referee warned Ricco many times in this area, but did not award a yellow card penalty.
6. Weight difference:
N/A. Ricco had a sizeable weight advantage but was not more than 15 kilos.

Penalties: No penalties were given although Ricco had many warnings to improve position.

Decision: Nogueira"

This lol cant believe ppl are still parroting that myth when a PRIDE judge himself whos also one of the GOAT coaches clarified it like 2 decades ago

That said prime Ricco is a problem for most HWs ever. One of the best grapplers ever at the heavier weights and a solid enough allaround game to compliment it

Wrong

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/PRIDE-Judge-Matt-Hume-Defends-Nog-vs-Ricco-Decision-1157

"Let’s take a look at the recent match between Nogueira and Rodriguez to better understand the criteria:

1. Effort to finish by KO or submission:
Nogueira wins by a large margin due to his multiple submission attempts and active attack. Based on this, there is no reason to consider any further criteria as they are in descending order, however, for educational purposes we will continue.
2. Damage:
No damage from striking by either party. Possible damage from deep Kimura in round 3 by Nogueira, however, no award given to either.
3. Standing combinations and ground control:
Neither fighter showed superiority in standing skill. Nogueira dominated ground control as he constantly went for submission and gave away neutral position for inferior position, yet he was able to move back to neutral position with relative ease each time. Nogueira also had a forced reversal. Rodriguez had a reversal while Nogueira was passing guard. Forced reversals are more difficult to achieve and more valuable for ground control. Rodriguez was warned many times throughout the match to improve position but chose to stay in neutral guard without damaging strikes or attempts to pass to dominant position.
4. Takedown and defense:
Nogueira scored one clean takedown and defended 2 times. Ricco scored 3 Takedowns. Ricco wins this criteria.
5. Aggressiveness:
Nogueira wins by a large margin due to his many attempts at submission and his forward progression while striking. The referee warned Ricco many times in this area, but did not award a yellow card penalty.
6. Weight difference:
N/A. Ricco had a sizeable weight advantage but was not more than 15 kilos.

Penalties: No penalties were given although Ricco had many warnings to improve position.

Decision: Nogueira"

Sounds like bullshit.

I watched him get smashed by Tim Sylvia at UFC 41. It's the only UFC I ever attended. Had a few names on this card:
Tim Sylvia v. Ricco Rodriguez
Frank Mir v. Tank Abbot
BJ Penn v. Caol Uno
Matt Lindlan v. Phil Baroni
Vladimir Matyushenko v. Pedro Rizzo
Din Thomas v. Matt Sera
Dan McGee v. Alexandre Dantas
Yves Edwards v. Rich Clementi

Back