How good was Michael Jordan's era?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Did Michael Jordan play in a weak era, or was he just that much better than everyone else?

source.gif

Did Michael Jordan play in a weak era, or was he just that much better than everyone else?
Yes
He played in a weak expansion era, where team defense was against the rules.

He played in a low paced era in the 90s which makes his numbers impressive

He played in a high pace era in the 80s which made him less of an offensive threat than James har_en, but he was a great defender

Things change, and the NBA has changed. Because of him. We now have more talent than ever. Because of him

If Jordan was dumped into todays game, he would be Demar DeRozan.

If Jordan grew up and trained like today's athletes, he would be Demar DeRozan..

People don't seem to grasp the fact that the GOAT playing in an era when basketball was niche, the talent level was low, would have trouble with 100x the level of people playing worldwide.

You can rule an era of a niche sport, doesn't make you LeBron in an era, of a worldwide sport

Yes

He played in a high pace era in the 80s which made him less of an offensive threat than James har_en, but he was a great defender

Things change, and the NBA has changed. Because of him. We now have more talent than ever. Because of him

If Jordan grew up and trained like today's athletes, he would be Demar DeRozan..

People don't seem to grasp the fact that the GOAT playing in an era when basketball was niche, the talent level was low, would have trouble with 100x the level of people playing worldwide.

You can rule an era of a niche sport, doesn't make you LeBron in an era, of a worldwide sport

Nice satirical response. Gave me a laugh.

It was a different time for sure, but Jordans numbers would be even more inflated by today's shitty defensive standards. He probably could have averaged 40 ppg if he played in today's era. Especially if he took more 3's.

Jordan was good for his era, but basketball is many times more competitive these days.

I don't believe he pitched during his baseball career so I don't think he had an official ERA. However, I do think he fucked up throwing out a first pitch so his ERA probably would have sucked dicks.

Even going by a retroactive application of advanced metrics (which current players are aware of and have molded their games to pad said metrics), Jordan is the GOAT

His era was superior to the the pre and post Jordan eras. There's a greater talent pool today and today's players are on average better than during Jordan's era, however today's players have benefited from advanced metrics/medicine/information/technology/etc. Give 18yo MJ a time machine and transport him to the 2010s and he'd be putting up 50 ppg on elite efficiency today while being one of the best perimeter defenders in the league

It was the best era . Don't listen to the millennials who say otherwise

Jordan was ahead of his time. And at the same time, that era of basketball is inferior to today. The game has changed and evolved. See how international basketball has caught up to USA's basketball.

Yes

The spirit of what you’re saying is true but you’re trolling or greatly exaggerating for some reason.

The talent level was lower but not that low. Basketball was niche but it was niche with the group that still makes up the majority of great players today. By the 70s literally every single African American kid was already playing basketball. It’s not a 1:1 talent comparison when you’re talking about the 100 million more playing now who are mostly Chinese that have no hope of making the NBA anyways. The NBA is still 75% black and American.

To say Jordan would be DeMar DeRozan is ridiculous and you know it. Jordan would benefit from the accumulated knowledge of past generations just like all the players do today. He would taylor his shooting for the 3-point shot. He also was a vastly better defender than DeRozan and he was the greatest competitor and hardest worker in NBA history unlike depressed DeRozan.

The goat degenerate would be a rich man’s Tony Allen in today’s nba.

Lol mark Jord wouldn’t even get picked up in BDs rec league.

HA! The era and rules at the time actually diminished his greatness. Larry Bird put it best, "If god could play basketball he would play like Micheal Jordan."

In Jordan's era they allowed hand checking, you were allowed to put one hand on the player with the ball making defense significantly easier. You can't underestimate how much easier a hand check makes playing defense. They also allowed hard fouls and some teams would put Jordan on the floor whenever he shot inside the key. These fouls were common back then but would get you kicked out of the game today.

There were some good teams and players during his era, Detroit, the Knicks, Barkely was playing then and Utah had two studs in Stockton and Malone.

Some of the previous poster have suggested the NBA didn't allow "team defense" which is totally bullshit. They didn't allow zone defense but they did allow team defensive schemes. David Stern, former NBA commissioner, said one of his biggest regrets was not pushing for the rule change earlier.

Not only was Jordan a gifted offensive player but he also won defensive player of the year. He had an all around game.

I loved watching him on TV and saw him several times in person. I remember watching on TV when his shot as a freshman clinched the national championship for North Carolina. He was gold.

He is also a freak athlete. I had this sleep monitoring device, basically you strap in on your head and in tracks you sleep to your cell phone. They gave it free to a bunch of famous people including Jordan. Of all the millions of people that had used it Michael Jordan was the person who seemed to need the least sleep. Out of everybody.

Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, John Stocton, Scotty Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwan, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, etc.

Yeah Jordan played in an era of total bums.

Jordan was ahead of his time. And at the same time, that era of basketball is inferior to today. The game has changed and evolved. See how international basketball has caught up to USA's basketball.

What? Where has international hoops caught up to the US? I am not saying all the best players in the world play in the NBA, I know there are a few that could contribute to a team. Overall though, US hoops is still by far the best.

I would be curious how wold a D league team do against a pro European team?

Perhaps if you took all the best players from around the world on one team VS all the best players from the US. That could be interesting.

What? Where has international hoops caught up to the US? I am not saying all the best players in the world play in the NBA, I know there are a few that could contribute to a team. Overall though, US hoops is still by far the best.

I would be curious how wold a D league team do against a pro European team?

Perhaps if you took all the best players from around the world on one team VS all the best players from the US. That could be interesting.
You answered your own question. Comparing the competition for Team USA before, world has obviously caught up. You can now easily make a Team World that can challenge or actually beat Team USA, unlike before. Have you forgotten how Team USA lost in FIBA last year? That Team was composed of NBA players. Everyone was an NBA player on that team, and they still lost. You could point that that wasn't USA's Team A or something, but still the fact that they were consisted of pros from the best league in the world and still lost has something to say about the competition. While teams like Spain, Brazil, Serbia, Greece didn't have that advantage of having a team FULL of NBA players, they still had a few with them.

You can see it every Olympics/FIBA, the world has always been catching up. Even in 2008, when Team USA had its best team with the likes of prime Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Melo, Dwight, etc. and Spain still managed to make it a very competitive game, despite having the inferior talent. It was obvious. Remember when Dream Team were owning every damn country in Olympics, and then every after the game the opposing players wanted to take pictures with their idols lol, that sht doesn't work today anymore. These international teams look at Team USA as fellow competitors, a team that is NOT impossible to beat.

Back