How good was Matt Hughes?

Great wrestler but very one dimensional. He wouldn't even be a top 10 guy today with his atrocious striking, and USADA testing.

USADA testing part i agree, but if he could get past that his grappling would give people just as must trouble as Maia did with his shite striking until his last few fights.

The decline of Matt Hughes was when he stopped really training and age. He had a fallout with his gym and started his own gym. You can see a decline in performance. He did beat most of the best fighters in his era and he fought what was offered to him.

45 wins...- 9 losses..

Do i need to say more...

The guy was a stud for his era...and to this day ive never seen anyone GNP and change fights so quickly once they hit the floor , outside of may be prime Tito Ortiz , the way Matt Hughes did...he was a GNP master and had a tight submission game too ...he was a well versed grappler only knock on his game was his stand up...but 45 wins most in the top promotion out there dont lie...

Reactions: Kb7
Notable wins over GSP and BJ? There are so many threads around here made from looking at fight finder.

BJ was smaller, and finished him in the first round twice. GSP was green as can be when he lost to Hughes, and annihilated him twice when he started to get better. Those fights don't mean what you would think they mean if you weren't watching fights at the time.

Hughes would mostly get smashed these days. He had zero standup, which you need these days.

Based on accomplishments I'd say he's a top 10 atg.

But if we were to analyze him without regard for era then I'd say he'd struggle to crack top 5 at WW today
So would everyone from his era. Its not really worth talking about.

Modern day Hughes would be eaten alive. He was pretty solid back in the day though with fighters being pretty one dimensional. His striking was always pretty bad though. Similar situation to Maia but Maia is the better striker of the two. It's a shame that Hughes didn't finish Almeida with strikes. Never really KOd someone on the feet and wanted to get one before he retired. Rocked Almeida really bad but choked him out instead which was probably more impressive.
Didnt he KO Renzo? IIRC

Royce,Renzo,and Ryan are not bloated LW's. Try again.
Lmao. Royce was a scrawny chicken who could have made lw easily. And he beat the much bigger saku. Keep believing.

He was one of the first to really get the submission wrestling down while a lot of other pure wrestlers were still getting submitted by the BJJ guys/catch wrestlers. Great cardio, great work ethic, he was awesome for his time and if he had been born later, I really believe he'd be top 10 today.

Lmao. Royce was a scrawny chicken who could have made lw easily. And he beat the much bigger saku. Keep believing.

Nothing you said is based in reality.

I don't think Hughes could make LW. He is too big. It would have been more realistic for him to try MW. However, Hughes is one of the best WW ever. Strong, durable, great grappler, and longevity. He wasn't the best striker, but he worked around that weakness well for the most part.

Would've been 170 and 185 champ simultaneously in the UFC if his friend and sometimes training partner Rich Franklin wasn't 185 already.

Friendships have caused us some amazing fights.

Here's an idea. Watch ufc 1-3 then some pride. Get some perspective and face facts.
What facts? How will rewatching those shows reveal the false points youve brought up to be true?

Back