How good was Matt Hughes?

Yrat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matt Hughes was the best we 15 years ago. Had noteable wins over Gsp and Bj Penn.

Had plenty of fights and have fought the best ww. During this time I guess nobody in pride would be able to beat him at 170 lbs or even 185 lbs to be honest.

After Matt lost GSP 2006 do you think he should make the move to 155 lbs back then? Would he able to beat Sean Sherk and Frankie Edgar?

I don’t think the cut would have been good for him.
I think he should have left MFS and joined Jackson’s. Would have improved his striking

You new to mma bro?
I will praise Hughes since it will make Sherdog happy. He was an monster in the cage and unleashed hard barnyard GnP that puts most other fighters GnP to shame. He had good BJJ. He had no offensive striking skills whatsoever. The fight vs out of shape old Renzo Gracie is the only one where he won by stop on the feet. Before his last two fights he was durable, got kneed in the ballz and flash KOd by Trigg, clipped and almost choked out by BJ, headbutted and punched by Serra and won those fights.

No way in hell he couldve made155 though. He sometimes had sort of a tough time making 170 as I've heard. He had country breakfast lions that his ego wouldn't of let go of
<{hughesimpress}>

beast on the ground.

God damn I would have loved to see Hughs vs. Edgar!!!

Almost a style vs style match and a David vs. Goliath match.

Pioneer and a GOAT at some point.
Top notch wrestler for his era with capacity to submit anyone at the time.
Fairly underdeveloped in the standup department.
Wasn't that reliable despite the winning streak (I'd personally never bet on him, not even during his prime).
KSW level fighter for modern standards - i.e average wrestler from ACA (Russia) would easily outwrestle and dominate prime, fully geared up Hughes in every way.

After Matt lost GSP 2006 do you think he should make the move to 155 lbs back then? Would he able to beat Sean Sherk and Frankie Edgar?

Well he beat Sean Sherk at 170, and probably would beat him at 155 but the problem is Hughes was the 2nd biggest WW of that era and cutting to 155 was probably very unlikely.

Hughes VS Edgar would have been a hell of a scrap.

no striking good strong wrastler, undersized current day

Great moment...
WindingPhysicalBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

Hes got some great performances but would be small and struggle with any wrestlers or anti wrestlers nowadays

He was absolutely incredible for his time. One of the best grapplers in the history of the sport. People undersell him when they call him a wrestler imo, he was a wonderful submission grappler.

Why do people compare him to today? who gives a shit about what is never gonna happen? He was a very dominant fighter in his own time,and GSP had to do alot of work to surpass his legacy.

Last edited:
Good for his era. He would lose to the entire top 10 in today’s era. He would be a big LW in today’s era.

Comparing era's is dumb. The current era has better training and knowledge. If Hughes had access to that he would have been a different fighter. I assume he would have also worked on his striking more.

Pioneer and a GOAT at some point.
Top notch wrestler for his era with capacity to submit anyone at the time.
Fairly underdeveloped in the standup department.
Wasn't that reliable despite the winning streak (I'd personally never bet on him, not even during his prime).
KSW level fighter for modern standards - i.e average wrestler from ACA (Russia) would easily outwrestle and dominate prime, fully geared up Hughes in every way.

If he improved his standup he would have been super scary. Definitely an all time great IMO. One of the people who brought MMA to masses.

Back