1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How good was Mark Kerr?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Yrat, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Yrat Brown Belt

Mark Kerr was that fighter that had the tools to become the UFC and PRIDE HW champion but got screwed up after his second loss against Igor Vovchanchyn and also against Kazuyuki Fujita. He was more entertaining to watch and also atleast more humble then screaming Mark Coleman.

His career was more or less done after 2001 so he had his peak year 2000 and then everything went down.

My questions are

- Is it true UFC f'cked him up with his career as soon he signed with Pride Fc financially?
    - Was he more all-rounded then Mark Coleman? Grappling was way much better then Colemans
    - What could he have done to improve his career in PRIDE and beating Igor Vovchanchyn during his wo fights with him?
    - Was his fight against Yamamoto in Pride 27:Inferno a bad move? I guess the purpose was that if he would win he would get a spot on that Heavyweight Grand Prix.

In general, he was good, the way he speaks feels down to earth despite taking those steroids. Looking forward for his upcoming movie.

Hannibal Lector likes this.
  2. pankrat Yellow Card Yellow Card

Definitely not entertaining

3. Stand N Bland Banned Banned

He was a smashing machine bruh.
    Dude was the original Brock Lesnar, all the physical talent you could ever ask for in a fighter.
    Just a short career that started in the spotlight so not much chance to take it slow and learn the basics.
    He was the real deal.

4. arrmike Brown Belt

I always thought he was better than Coleman. More athletic, more devotion to submission grappling, more attention to diverse striking. But that didn’t give him a better prime or more longevity. So I guess I was wrong at the time.

He doesn’t have a signature mma win but he does have signature losses. Not enough of the intangibles to complement his physical skill set.
    In before everyone blames painkillers or his girlfriend.

5. Patrick Jane 美猴王

With headbutts allowed and on opioids and benzodiazepines he was unstoppable.

He also submitted Josh Barnett in a submission grappling match.

A.S. Deep and Hannibal Lector like this.
  6. cmw43 Bad Boys Club

He was definitely more skilled than Coleman, elite wrestling but also multi time ADCC Champion and subbed Barnett.

He had his issues with addiction and I think he just lost his love for it after the Igor and Herring beatings you could see him quit in the fights.

Hannibal Lector likes this.
  7. accolyte1022 LONER Belt

On benzos during fights?

8. beastman Silver Belt

I wonder what would have happened if he trained somewhere else. More attention to striking and submissions. Wrestling full throttle at Hammer House most days wasn't probably the best for him.

There were plenty of things that kept him from being one of the greats. Injuries + painkiller additction + horrible relationships usually doesn't equal a great outcome.

9. kflo Titanium Belt

he may have paid some attention to diverse striking but his hands were just awful.

also note both he and coleman wrestled 190 in college.......

Egészségére! likes this.
  10. Patrick Jane 美猴王

Good question. Considering he said he was so anxious he couldn't drink without throwing up before his first fight i wouldn't be surprised if he ended up fighting on benzos in subsequent bouts.

accolyte1022 likes this.
  11. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Banned Banned

A brightly lit fast burning candle.

He looked unstoppable but his peak ended before he proved unstoppable against the best.

12. ralphus1 Extremely stable genius

Between addiction and issues with his GF, his documentary was sad to watch.

13. Thepaintbucket Gold Belt

Not a single picture man

14. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Banned Banned

Ya, options then just weren’t as obvious as today. Barnett got lucky with Hume in his back yard, and Coleman made his luck.

In hindsite, Kerr was just a wreck mentally, emotionally and physically. And addictively. While on a high and an absolute rock star around the world, he just didn’t have the strength to straighten out before it was too late. Most don’t.

I’ll look for it later but there is a podcast with Barnett and Kerr talking about JMMA and ADCC in the 90s. Women throwing themselves at them. Saudi men paying them shit tons of money to continue injured because they had big bets on the line. It’s crazy.

I’m glad Barnett kept his head and it’s unfortunate Kerr couldn’t quite.

EDIT: this is probably it If Kerr talks about how tight J pussy is, then it's the one I'm thinking of.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    G10 likes this.
  15. dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

He was my favorite fighter at one point. I was crushed when he Lost to Igor and the Fujita fight was frustrating for me to watch.

but I’m hindsight, he wasn’t really THAT good. He was a fully roided out fighter with an insane strength advantage and good wrestling.

yes he was good. But I don’t think he was great.

16. Black Paladin Funniest Sherdogger, P4P

Very sad.

17. electricfuneral Red Belt

Kerr and Coleman got me into MMA.

18. Egészségére! Brown Belt

/thread

19. NoSmilez Silver Belt

He trained with Bas. His trainer before that was Richard Hamilton? He went to jail or something?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  20. The Legendary Scarface Record since UFC 266 : 9-7

Good enough to not get a documentary made about him even though it was declared publicly.