How good was Mark Kerr?

Yrat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark Kerr was that fighter that had the tools to become the UFC and PRIDE HW champion but got screwed up after his second loss against Igor Vovchanchyn and also against Kazuyuki Fujita. He was more entertaining to watch and also atleast more humble then screaming Mark Coleman.

His career was more or less done after 2001 so he had his peak year 2000 and then everything went down.

My questions are

- Is it true UFC f'cked him up with his career as soon he signed with Pride Fc financially?
- Was he more all-rounded then Mark Coleman? Grappling was way much better then Colemans
- What could he have done to improve his career in PRIDE and beating Igor Vovchanchyn during his wo fights with him?
- Was his fight against Yamamoto in Pride 27:Inferno a bad move? I guess the purpose was that if he would win he would get a spot on that Heavyweight Grand Prix.

In general, he was good, the way he speaks feels down to earth despite taking those steroids. Looking forward for his upcoming movie.

He was a smashing machine bruh.
Dude was the original Brock Lesnar, all the physical talent you could ever ask for in a fighter.
Just a short career that started in the spotlight so not much chance to take it slow and learn the basics.
He was the real deal.

I always thought he was better than Coleman. More athletic, more devotion to submission grappling, more attention to diverse striking. But that didn’t give him a better prime or more longevity. So I guess I was wrong at the time.

He doesn’t have a signature mma win but he does have signature losses. Not enough of the intangibles to complement his physical skill set.
In before everyone blames painkillers or his girlfriend.

He was definitely more skilled than Coleman, elite wrestling but also multi time ADCC Champion and subbed Barnett.

He had his issues with addiction and I think he just lost his love for it after the Igor and Herring beatings you could see him quit in the fights.

I always thought he was better than Coleman. More athletic, more devotion to submission grappling, more attention to diverse striking. But that didn’t give him a better prime or more longevity. So I guess I was wrong at the time.

He doesn’t have a signature mma win but he does have signature losses. Not enough of the intangibles to complement his physical skill set.

I wonder what would have happened if he trained somewhere else. More attention to striking and submissions. Wrestling full throttle at Hammer House most days wasn't probably the best for him.

There were plenty of things that kept him from being one of the greats. Injuries + painkiller additction + horrible relationships usually doesn't equal a great outcome.

he may have paid some attention to diverse striking but his hands were just awful.

also note both he and coleman wrestled 190 in college.......

A brightly lit fast burning candle.

He looked unstoppable but his peak ended before he proved unstoppable against the best.

Between addiction and issues with his GF, his documentary was sad to watch.

I wonder what would have happened if he trained somewhere else. More attention to striking and submissions. Wrestling full throttle at Hammer House most days wasn't probably the best for him.

There were plenty of things that kept him from being one of the greats. Injuries + painkiller additction + horrible relationships usually doesn't equal a great outcome.
Ya, options then just weren’t as obvious as today. Barnett got lucky with Hume in his back yard, and Coleman made his luck.

In hindsite, Kerr was just a wreck mentally, emotionally and physically. And addictively. While on a high and an absolute rock star around the world, he just didn’t have the strength to straighten out before it was too late. Most don’t.

I’ll look for it later but there is a podcast with Barnett and Kerr talking about JMMA and ADCC in the 90s. Women throwing themselves at them. Saudi men paying them shit tons of money to continue injured because they had big bets on the line. It’s crazy.

I’m glad Barnett kept his head and it’s unfortunate Kerr couldn’t quite.

EDIT: this is probably it If Kerr talks about how tight J pussy is, then it's the one I'm thinking of.

Last edited:
Reactions: G10
He was my favorite fighter at one point. I was crushed when he Lost to Igor and the Fujita fight was frustrating for me to watch.

but I’m hindsight, he wasn’t really THAT good. He was a fully roided out fighter with an insane strength advantage and good wrestling.

yes he was good. But I don’t think he was great.

He trained with Bas. His trainer before that was Richard Hamilton? He went to jail or something?

Last edited:
Good enough to not get a documentary made about him even though it was declared publicly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back