How good was Jerry Bohlander? & how would he do in today's MMA?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by savemgs, Nov 14, 2013.

1. TRYHARD 2001

TRYHARD 2001 Silver Belt

Different Brian Foster. Fought a lot in KOTC and other smaller shows. More or less a glorified opponent for the mid-tier fighters of the late 90's-early 2000's.

2. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

He’d be a 155lber

3. MartinGibson86

MartinGibson86 Brown Belt

He'd get killed today. He was good because he had acess to Lion's Den when hardly anyone could so much as find a BJJ gym.

Seriously, he loses to EVERYBODY his size currently signed to the UFC.

4. Bogeyman

Bogeyman Electrical Cord Belt

He was terrible. The Cody McKenzie of his day. I attended every single UFC that he fought in and the crowd just booed from the moment he walked out to the moment he left.

5. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

It was the shit.

My first MMA/UFC vhs I rented back in '99.

6. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

I read Ken saying that Frank isn't even the top 3rd fighter in Lion's Den. Maybe he's salty. I guess his top 2 and 3 were Bohlander and Mezger.

7. TRYHARD 2001

TRYHARD 2001 Silver Belt

Ken and Frank had some real personality clashes in their younger days and didn't talk for like 15 years at one point. Frank Shamrock was the best fighter to come out of the Lion's Den by a considerable amount. Ken in his prime was a legitimately decent HW and Mezger was always criminally underrated, but prime Frank was the best. Bohlander was, is, and forever will be light years behind those guys.

His kill count is way higher in his chosen profession post-MMA, mind you. Handier with the steel, if ya know what I mean.

manboy<3 likes this.
  8. Kinger85

Kinger85 Gold Belt

for his time, he was very good.

And that is all you can ask of someone.

9. None of those guys would do very well today

It's a silly discussion to even have

10. Pingu

Pingu Purple Belt

Rampage beat hendo. Don't prolong the inevitable!

11. PolarBearPaulVarelans

PolarBearPaulVarelans Purple Belt

If Jerry Bohlander wasn't at the Lion's Den, a horrendous camp that ruined countless exceptional talents, he might well be remembered in the same breath as Pat Miletich or Frank Shamrock.

He was exceptionally talented for his time; a guy who had wrestling, submissions, and could even strike a fair amount, for the time.

I actually believe it when people from the Lion's Den (not just Ken, but Pete Williams and others) state that Bohlander was more talented than Frank Shamrock. Frank wasn't very good or successful when he was at the Lion's Den.

Then, he leaves, forms The Alliance, trains properly, expands his skills, and becomes an all-time legend who can't lose.

HI SCOTT NEWMAN and manboy<3 like this.
  12. HI SCOTT NEWMAN

HI SCOTT NEWMAN Steel Belt Cat ✔

I remember at UFC 8 when you beat up that Brazilian, and then Bohlander won his match although he got his ass whooped in most of it, and then you 2 were supposed to meet in the semi-final but you had to pull out because of the intense heat in that arena, they were trying to ice you but you had only just previously come out of hibernation in your den in the arctic circle.

You would have killed Bohlander and ripped him to shreds, and then beat Frye in the final for sure. I still believe UFC deliberately made you fight in Puerto Rico because they knew you would melt as Polar Bears live in the ice, they wanted Frye to be their new "face".

God bless the mighty Polar Bear, largest land carnivore on earth.

PolarBearPaulVarelans likes this.
  13. shino

shino Green Belt

I heard stories from ex Lion's Den fighters back in the day basically saying that Ken would come in to the gym after Jerry would be training all day and was exhausted and beat on him, but would never train with him when he was fresh.