How good was Calzaghe ?

Bob Sapp

Red Belt
Reaction score
Im more of a casual boxing fan but I seen him with some big wins on his record and he looked like an amazing boxer. Was he really that good or just beat some legends past their prime?

Never boxed any great in their prime. Actually, avoid everyone of note when they were good.

I’d say Roy and Chris Eubank were past their primes. But Calzaghe deserves loads of credit for his wins against Hopkins, Kessler, and Lacy. 3 very big wins in my opinion. Also managed to tough it out against both Salem and Bika, 2 of the dirtiest fighters in the game. I think Calzaghe had a fantastic career. A bit bummed when he retired. The Chad Dawson fight would’ve been huge at the time. Not knocking him for his decision though

I personally think only Roy was past his prime. I contend hopkins was at or close to his peak.

Hopkins was already clearly past his prime by the time he fought Taylor, 3 years before the Calzaghe fight. He was definitely past his prime, but still an elite fighter and an impressive win.

Hopkins was already clearly past his prime by the time he fought Taylor, 3 years before the Calzaghe fight. He was definitely past his prime, but still an elite fighter and an impressive win.

He was coming off his wins of tarver and wright. He was looking good at the time, very good.

Marciano type in that he might've not gotten fighters at their best, but he still won when needed too, even if he beat fighters he wouldve lost to in their primes.

Hopkins was 43, so denying he was past his prime is ridiculous. The Kessler win was real quality because at the time, he was a killer.

Calzaghe was a darn good boxer. For a guy who’s routinely criticized for the lack of depth of his resume, he surely racked many impressive wins.

Last edited:
Hopkins was 43, so denying he was past his prime is ridiculous. The Kessler win was real quality because at the time, he was a killer.
Hopkins was still dangerous though. I remember a lot of people claiming that Hopkins should give up after the Calzaghe fight because old age had finally caught up with him, then he went on and 6 months later, put a beat down on Pavlik (the man who beat Hopkins conqueror Taylor).

Pretty good but his brittle hands took the gloss off his career.

Pretty good but his brittle hands took the gloss off his career.

How so, he was undefeated, its not like he lost fights due to his hands.

Sure, he maybe could have won with more stoppages, but the same rings true for Mayweather, the pair of them just adapted styles when they realised their hands couldnt hold up

Calazaghe destroyed Lacy in his prime.
Probably the most one-sided elite level fight I have ever seen.

Jeff Lacy was the world's biggest hype jobs ever. Just look at what he did after they threw him in the deep end.

Calzaghe was a darn good boxer. For a guy who’s routinely criticized for the lack of depth of his resume, he surely racked many impressive wins.

What impressive wins? Kessler is the only win of real note.

What impressive wins? Kessler is the only win of real note.

Hopkins was still very good. Lacy looked like an absolute beast and Calzaghe broke him. Old Eubank still made it one hell of a dogfight. He showed up injured against Reid and the fight was great. He smashed Mitchell like a bug. Young Bika was as tough as they come.

We can be picky about pretty much any record, I guess.

Jeff Lacy was the world's biggest hype jobs ever. Just look at what he did after they threw him in the deep end.

You mean undefeated KO artist and favourite with the bookies Lacy? LOL.

He was the next big thing until he got dominated by one of the best boxers of the last 20 years.

Back