How good was C.M. Punk?

The Cleveland curse was his worst enemy. :(

Its crazy to see a guy who.did aerobatics in wwe and looked graceful doing brutal physical stunts look like his shoelaces were tied together and punched like his arms were numb. I'm long away from my peak training form and sparring but i swear I feel like I would.have absolutely startched him myself and I'm just a random dude in decent shape posting on forum.

99 percent of the time I would respond with "STFU you fucking keyboard warrior!"

1 percent of the time I would be like " Sad that I believe this guy"

This post falls in the 1 percent!

Bullshit. I had an amateur fight for free, most people would gladly fight Mickey Gall, let alone Mike Jackson, for half a million dollars. Seriously, CM Punk's best attribute is being a BJJ blue belt and I'm a younger and bigger purple belt. He does seem like a good dude, but I'm absolutely not impressed by what he did to fulfil his mid-life crisis.

Calm down junior. I said most of us, not all. I just simply meant he tried and it didn't work out for him. His 2nd fight was slightly better, he at least lasted 3 rounds. It generated revenue though, that's all Dana cares about.

You gotta remember that he had a lot of injuries from pro wrestling. His body had a ton of mileage on it, there were certain things he just couldn't do physically.

There are guys in my gym who didn't start training until their 30's/40's that can still compete with younger guys, but they aren't shop worn like CM Punk was. It makes a much bigger difference than just his age alone.

It was startling how bad he was because he actually spent nearly 2 years training I think. He was actually taking it seriously, and it was just assumed that he had some kind of skill because of his career in professional wrestling. And, the UFC did a pretty fine hype job on him a well. But, then when he finally fought, it looked like a monkey f"ing a football. The most unathletic, uncoordinated, unskilled fighter to ever get in the octagon. Then he trained for another year, got a 2nd opportunity, and arguably looked even worse.

During the lead up to the fight I defended Mr. Punk for at least putting himself into an actual fight to test himself. But his performances were so disappointing, the "at least he tried" defense just doesn't cut it.

He was disgracefully bad.

I like CM Punk, but you can tell he mechanically isn't wired up to throw a punch. It's that muscle memory thing when you figure out how to do something. I remember not being able to throw a punch at all well into my 20s, and I saw the same thing when he tried to throw. Kind of like learning to swing a ball bat. He was just too old, and battle warn to learn, and have any success.

Dude realized when he was in the ring he didnt like to fight, its a lot different in a gym. Who knows at Roufus sport he might have looked passable. Ive heard guys like Mike Pyle and Tim Means were world beaters in the gym but just cant get it done on the big stage.

It was startling how bad he was because he actually spent nearly 2 years training I think. He was actually taking it seriously, and it was just assumed that he had some kind of skill because of his career in professional wrestling. And, the UFC did a pretty fine hype job on him a well. But, then when he finally fought, it looked like a monkey f"ing a football. The most unathletic, uncoordinated, unskilled fighter to ever get in the octagon. Then he trained for another year, got a 2nd opportunity, and arguably looked even worse.
Agree with everything except that he took it seriously. They said he only showed up when the cameras were rolling iirc..

Every time this questioned is posed I respond with this:

I have trained martial arts very moderately (comparatively) in my life and I would bet the house I would beat him in any facet of MMA.

Answer: he sucks ass. I know literally 40 random dudes from my old gym that would destroy him.

The coaching at Roufus Sport , really wasn't honest with him.

Calm down junior. I said most of us, not all. I just simply meant he tried and it didn't work out for him. His 2nd fight was slightly better, he at least lasted 3 rounds. It generated revenue though, that's all Dana cares about.

His 2nd opponent fucked himself by not going for the Kill , Dana was more pissed at him than disappointed at Punk.

He was without exaggeration probably the worst fighter in UFC history, because he wasn't a fighter at all. I'm not sure what some are smoking when they're talking about athleticism. What athleticism? He looked slow, his movement laborious, his technique non-existent.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being GSP, Khabib, Silva, Fedor), he was 0.1.

There was a great chance he would have been champion. Only previous wwe import captured the UFC HW title in spectacular fashion. CM punk brought the percentage of past their prime wwe fighters winning ufc gold down to 50% from a solid 100% that Brock set up.

Dog shit, about as good as nate robinson was at boxing.

I would smash him. I’m legit 6-2 which makes me at least 6-11 in sherdog height. I would just KO him I think punches and then knees if need be

He made more money than even champs..dude is the goat

His trainers should have closed their gym for letting him fight.

His trainers should have closed their gym for letting him fight.
Duke Rufus Fighting. Trains the Pettis brothers and Ben Askren. Pretty legit gym. You have to blame Dana for the signing

Back