Media How GOOD was Anderson Silva Actually?

He was ahead of his time, a true visionary. He made good fighters look not good.

tenor.gif

He shone against really bad competition. Half his defences are against journey men. And he most likely was on peds his whole career so it’s kind of a bit meh imo and puts a big question mark over his accomplishments. Heavily overrated by his delusional fan boys, even in his prime if he came into the division in the last 5 years he wouldn’t ever contend for the belt.
Anderson past his prime looked better against Izzy than Whitaker did, change my view.

For PEDs to be a consideration you would have to believe that everyone else was clean and just happen to have a badly timed case of back acne (rhymes with "Shael"...).

I cannot say one way or the other who has and who has not used PED’s. I do know for a fact that Silva and Jon Jones have used performance enhancing drugs.

I give athletes that have not been busted the benefit of the doubt as I cannot say with certainty that they using PED’s.

He was damn good. I don't know wtf some of you are smoking.

The man ate a clean right hand from Dan Henderson and did nothing but get angry and finish the fight.

He knocked out Vitor with a front kick to the face. He is the reason we got Trtitor.

Silva was the real deal. I get that some of you weren't around when he tore Rich Franklin a new asshole, not once, but twice, but Silva is one of the best ever.

For the record, I don't think he started on peds until after he broke his leg. I could be wrong about that. My wife is from Brazil, and while she loves her Brazilian fighters, she says steroids are normal down there. Even the women do them. People do them to look good because it's hot and nobody wears a lot of clothes.

see, when you go to list what he has done to who, you can only name 3 fighters who are worthy to be mentioned in silvas reign. id actually even not mention rich but since he had to beat rich to get the belt i guess you need to include him. that is 3 names during his 10 defences. pretty poor level of competition.

shocking.

and i doubt he just used peds after the leg break. andersons fav quote was...

quote-when-you-use-the-steroids-you-use-them-for-a-long-time-when-you-use-the-steroids-for-anderson-silva-106-85-31.jpg

lmao dude shat in his own bed saying that.
https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...l-easy-to-beat-drug-tests-even-now-with-usada

https://www.fightful.com/mma/gsp-says-its-easy-beat-usada-drug-tests?amp

http://www.clearthedrugtest.com/georges-st-pierre-claims-easy-beat-drug-tests/

Anderson should have hired GSP as a nutritionist, since GSP was done fighting anyways.

Anderson was untouchable during his prime, if Silva isn't in in your top 5 all time greats list then I have to question your knowledge of MMA. He made guys he was fighting look like complete amateurs who didn't even deserve to be in the same cage with him.
Although I believe GSP is the GOAT because he was Welterweight champ for so long and then he won the Middleweight belt after a 4 year lay-off, Silva and Jones are neck and neck for second place in my mind.

At his prime he was one of the few fighters that you could almost guarantee would win, regardless of his opponent. Not to say his opponents weren't great fighters, Andy was just that special

You can’t make the assumption the competition is poor because a superior fighter is good enough to finish the fight. Just like you can’t assume the competition is good because the slightly superior fighter cannot finish the fight.

Amen.

Everyone who's ever dominated sucks because their opposition has lost...

To them.

SURE. FUCKING. DAWG.

Silva was a good fighter, and even if we count PEDs against him, I'd still say he is the MW GOAT. Mainly because MW hasn't had a dominant champion the likes of Silva.

I can't say PEDs are the sole reason for his success but coming from an organization that openly invited people to use them, and him having a resurgence from losing to fighters with losing records, to 15+ win streak in mid 30's when everyone else declines(unless of course they're also on PEDs), the evidence suggest long term usage from his dromostanol toxicity which inturn caused an easy breakage of his leg on a simple check. I also cannot say they didn't have a affect of his performance or outcomes of said fights.

I think he should've retired awhile ago, especially with double digits losses and (should be) an 8 fight losing streak, he still one of the best strikers the UFC has ever seen.

I like Anderson Silva, but I cannot stand his fanatical fanbois though, to the point where anyone who threatens their idols status becomes their enemy instead of just appreciating all/most fighters for our entertainment.

He made the entire division suck for many years. As soon as he dropped off the division became competitive

Legacy is tainted by his PED use. Should not be in GOAT conversation.

It's a good question, he was a GREAT striker but his game wasn't complete. a very complete fighter could beat him.

The Usada busts don't look good, his record after it doesn't look great either, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because of his age.

GOAT MW. Strong argument for GOAT in any weight class, easily one of the top four guys to ever do it.
Fuck the haters.

Never been a fan of Silva, but I certainly admire his skills and his super impressive win streak.
The PED thing keeps him off the GOAT list IMO, which is a Damn shame because his resume would put him as one of the best, if not the absolute best.
I do however believe that a good portion of his opponents were also on PEDS, so it's a hard one to call.
Still, much respect to The Spider.

Guy was straight out the matrix. Fought a sizeable list of good and great fighters, made most of them look silly. His flashy style was pretty unique for MMA too, he was the kinda guy you would show a boxing fan who thought MMA was just glorified toughman.

These things (questioning of fighter A, B, C, etc.) always in hindsight.

He was very good - didn't get hit much in his prime which is the thing that stands out the most. Such great footwork and defence. His style was about as good as it gets in mma - not pure striking but MMA striking and IMO was and is still the best we've seen in MMA - not just offensively but defensively (Could lead but almost always chose to counter then work from there, head movement, great foot work, straight punches, didn't resort to one thing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back