Opinion How good or bad a President is Joe Biden so far?

How good or bad a President is Joe Biden so far?

• Total voters
Got us out of a forever war, made some positive changes for the environment, unemployment is steadily dropping, wages are rising, gdp up 6+ percent in q1 and q2. Looks like a bi-partisan infrastructure bill will pass. Needs to pass some or most of the health care and climate change provisions in the bigger bill. And what’s up with immigration reform? All-in-all, looks like a decent start.

Got us out of a forever war, made some positive changes for the environment, unemployment is steadily dropping, wages are rising, gdp up 6+ percent in q1 and q2. Looks like a bi-partisan infrastructure bill will pass. Needs to pass some or most of the health care and climate change provisions in the bigger bill. And what’s up with immigration reform? All-in-all, looks like a decent start.

I remember talking to someone here about how rightist attacks work. I was saying that whoever got the Democratic nomination would become history's greatest monster in a short time. He was saying, no, they uniquely hated Clinton but few people can be made to hate Biden. Now, nine months into what has been a surprisingly successful presidency so far (still way too early to judge), you have half the WR (the bottom half) thinking (or at least saying) that he's the worst or one of the worst presidents ever! It's really interesting to see the machine in action.

What metric leads one to think he's the worst president ever? There've been quite a lot of bad ones over the years, let me tell you

To be fair, the economic data is mostly because COVID is regressing. Most countries are getting similar numbers. Mostly because pandemics get better with time and many vaccines are available.
I think Biden is doing pretty good.
I see some criticism, from the left too, about his Afghan policy. That was a hard call to make. If you stay, you're a warmonger. If you leave, you're abandoning the good people of Afghanistan. Of course, the real fault lies on the former government in Kabul, a completely incompetent, corrupt and unpopular administration that managed to lose to a ragtag group of mountain dwellers despite 20 years of foreign military help.
There's a pundit here who is also an American citizen and lives in NYC and is a leftist. He is always talking about how Biden is weak, how he abandoned the women and the secularists of Afghanistan. What's the alternative, though? To remain there for 50 years? 100 years?

To be fair, the economic data is mostly because COVID is regressing. Most countries are getting similar numbers. Mostly because pandemics get better with time and many vaccines are available.
I see some criticism, from the left too, about his Afghan policy. That was a hard call to make. If you stay, you're a warmonger. If you leave, you're abandoning the good people of Afghanistan. Of course, the real fault lies on the former government in Kabul, a completely incompetent, corrupt and unpopular administration that managed to lose to a ragtag group of mountain dwellers despite 20 years of foreign military help.
There's a pundit here who is also an American citizen and lives in NYC and is a leftist. He is always talking about how Biden is weak, how he abandoned the women and the secularists of Afghanistan. What's the alternative, though? To remain there for 50 years? 100 years?

True that moving past COVID is providing a boost to the numbers, though it's also true that the aggressive response to the downturn (the Rescue Plan) accelerated growth above the previous baseline and above what most other countries are getting. Solid vaccine rollout, too, with politics (basically Republicans being insane) being the big remaining obstacle.

The criticism of the Afghanistan rollout from the media is ridiculous. Getting out just lifted the rock and exposed how fucked up things already were. The only alternative would be to continue to kick the can down the road. IMO, that's actually a fair criticism, but "he should have gotten out but it should have gone well after we left," is not. It was stay or leave, and the mass evacuation actually went pretty well after initial hiccups. It also totally contradicts the "puppet" narrative, as Biden took a bold step and knowingly got slammed by the media and many advisers in order to do what he thought was right. Again, you can argue that he should have stayed, but that's a different discussion.

I remember talking to someone here about how rightist attacks work. I was saying that whoever got the Democratic nomination would become history's greatest monster in a short time. He was saying, no, they uniquely hated Clinton but few people can be made to hate Biden. Now, nine months into what has been a surprisingly successful presidency so far (still way too early to judge), you have half the WR (the bottom half) thinking (or at least saying) that he's the worst or one of the worst presidents ever! It's really interesting to see the machine in action.
He raised our gas prices to pay for his massive spending, tho.

Anyway, people can honestly disagree on what is or isn't good policy, but the hyperbole is just team sports. It is interesting and also sad.

LET'S GO BRANDON!

This is what the most popular voted president in history looks like.... within 10 months lol?

This is why the other thread with "38% approval" is BULLSHIT. ;)

Absolutely true. Who's to say any other president wouldn't have done just as well or even better? Not me, but objectively things are improving and Biden gets some of that credit because he's addressed it with policy.

Again, someone else might have done a better job handling the withdrawal, but I can't imagine any way it would ever have gone without being messy and drawing lots and lots of criticism. We are out, and that is an improvement in my book.

In the end, when I'm judging a president, I try to look at where their priorities appear to be and how they are trying to spend tax dollars. Give me infrastructure and the environment over military budgets and forever wars all day.

Lol at all the right wingers complaining about how he gets nothing done. You can mostly thank Mitch McConnell for that. That piece of trash held the government hostage for all 8 years of Obama, and is doing it again. He’s been one of the worst things that’s happened to the country in our lifetime.

True that moving past COVID is providing a boost to the numbers, though it's also true that the aggressive response to the downturn (the Rescue Plan) accelerated growth above the previous baseline and above what most other countries are getting. Solid vaccine rollout, too, with politics (basically Republicans being insane) being the big remaining obstacle.

The criticism of the Afghanistan rollout from the media is ridiculous. Getting out just lifted the rock and exposed how fucked up things already were. The only alternative would be to continue to kick the can down the road. IMO, that's actually a fair criticism, but "he should have gotten out but it should have gone well after we left," is not. It was stay or leave, and the mass evacuation actually went pretty well after initial hiccups. It also totally contradicts the "puppet" narrative, as Biden took a bold step and knowingly got slammed by the media and many advisers in order to do what he thought was right. Again, you can argue that he should have stayed, but that's a different discussion.

Jack do you notice people don’t understand that a president also needs congress to get things done. Even when the policy is popular these things are simply not getting passed.

Great. Only president with balls enough to withdraw from Afghanistan disaster. The only problem is there's too many Republicans in the Democratic party I.e mansion and sanema. And can't get shit done that needs doing. Obviously Republicans are worthless. They gave up governing for identity politics 40 years ago

If it wasn't welfare Queens it was Muslims then illegal immigrants etc etc whatever to deny public spending on the 'lessor races.' But dumb f**** it only hurt themselves as 12 of their Red states don't even have public health care benefit and dying of COVID in droves.

Last edited:
Jack do you notice people don’t understand that a president also needs congress to get things done. Even when the policy is popular these things are simply not getting passed.

People are completely clueless about what the job entails and thus have no way to independently evaluate a president even if they wanted to. So it just gets into partisan cheerleading.

People are completely clueless about what the job entails and thus have no way to independently evaluate a president even if they wanted to. So it just gets into partisan cheerleading.

That’s why we are always taking one step forward and 3 back.

it’s the exact same thing we saw in 2016. A lot of people said they liked obama and would’ve voted for him again but didn’t like clinton. So what they did was vote for trump. The exact opposite of what they liked in Obama.

even now people will blame Biden for Congress not doing their jobs

Back