How good is/was Brock Lesnar?

As far as my "expertise" goes I consider him an incredible athlete so based on that alone he's pretty good.
His standing game's never been top tier but he faced good competition and looked great nonetheless.
He did do steroids, but for all the other fights we have to consider him innocent until proven guilty, so he still has a pretty remarkable resume.
He's probably not one of the best HW of all times but surely one of the most athletically sound ones.

still a top 10 HW because of his wrestling, size and athleticism.

Good enough to beat seasoned UFC veterans and become champion, with very little experience.

Hate him or like him, he's a special kind of human being.
Is he a skilled fighter? Probably not.
But he's an elite athlete with phenomenal physical gifts (pure strength, size, speed for his size etc.)

Very good and actually underrated. If Brock replaced Stipe in that Ngannou fight I am 1000% certain he would have beat the absolute shit out of Ngannou and finished him, no decision, would have finished him by 2nd round ground 'n' pound
Probably in the minority but yeah I could have seen him beating Ngannou the same way he beat Carwin

He won the title in the least amount of fights in modern UFC, then defended it against the number one contender while being stricken with a deadly disease that would take a foot of his intestine (which was another record at the time - the defense that is). His only loses were after the surgery. His whole career was at 70%. If any other champion had to deal with what he had to deal with, I would be interested to see how they would do?

He is probably the most freakishly athletic fighter in UFC history, and one of the best wrestlers to apply that trade in MMA. He is top tier because he won the title full stop. At 100% he would possibly be the GOAT, at 70% he is a HOF first ballot.
There is some serious revisionist history going on right now. Also alot of you have no idea what diverticulitis is and are greatly exaggerating how big of an effect it had on his ability to fight.

Have you seen his schedule who the fook protected Lesnar.. you are talking nonsense really now he only had top dogs and killers with limited time in the game.. it's like you put CM Punk now with all the top WW's.

Re-read what I typed.

The sport was "on the map" well before Brock came along.

If Brock got in young an was trained in striking he would be beast maybe goat

A lot of people on these forums seem to have a certain bitterness to him and believe his popularity pretty much came from his name only, which part of it I agree with but there's no denying he did a lot for the sport by putting it on the map. Where would you see him as far as great (ie: DC, Cain, Stipe and Randy), mid tier (Arlovski, Travis Browne, Derrick Lewis) or low tier competition (Struve. Hunt, Bigfoot)

without the wwe fan base and all he no better than derrick lewis is now.

brock is overated and his record shows that.

with brock if u could withstand the power rush from him than you can grind him out to win.

if randy hadnt been the champ at the time he might not of been champ so fast or at all.

He doesnt know how to 'fight' and doesnt take a punch well. He's always going to beat most guys, and look 'good' doing it because of his size, but against guys who can handle his size there is always a chance he's going to get the ever loving shit kicked out of him and look absolutely awful while doing it.

A lot of people on these forums seem to have a certain bitterness to him and believe his popularity pretty much came from his name only, which part of it I agree with but there's no denying he did a lot for the sport by putting it on the map. Where would you see him as far as great (ie: DC, Cain, Stipe and Randy), mid tier (Arlovski, Travis Browne, Derrick Lewis) or low tier competition (Struve. Hunt, Bigfoot)

{<huh}

How is Arlovski in the same tier as Browne or Lewis?

Arguably, one of the ten best in the division. Probably top five.

The Herring punch felt a bit staged. Fuckin' "action roll to bull charge".
Herring complained a lot. The whole fight was not a finish.
Couture was knick'd and went down. Sad.
Mir, got smashed. Bully's revenge.
Carwin was a legit finish.

Then Cain took his soul. As The Last Emperor would have.
I think prime Fedor tosses him around.

iu
iu

iu
iu

iu

Biggest, meanest guy EVER.... Until you punched him in the face a couple of times! Then he curled up like a little girl. I put him slightly above Bob Sapp as best freakshow fighters ever. If Brock had trained MMA his whole life though, he may have been best ever.

Man you must not have watched UFC when Shane Carwin was on a tear.

Nah just forgot all about him. He's kind of like Brock. Very good, but ultimately loses to every all time great in my opinion.

Mediocre at best. Glass cannon. Did better than he should have.

I didn't know diverticulitis could be caused by roid abuse. Most hyped guy ever but if that's true whatever. He was barely human. He had numbers comparable to Conor before social media existed beyond Facebook and Myspace.

He was a terror when he first came in, beating Randy in the striking game and utterly dominating Mir on the ground after learning a bit more about the ground game. But he's fallen really far behind considering how much mma advanced while he was off making money in the "sports entertainment" field. I doubt he could beat many top ten guys nowadays.
How exactly has MMA and especially the HW division dramatically "advanced" since he beat top 10 Mark Hunt a couple years ago?

I really don't get this myth that MMA has advanced so dramatically in the last few years that guys from the last generation simply couldn't compete today, despite the fact the current HW champ is about to turn 40 and the champs prior to him weren't a whole lot younger.

Big a big fast explosive wrestler is no longer a viable skill set in this modern "evolved" HW division? Lol.

The only real evaluation in recent years is more fighters having well rounded games and the average size of guys in each weightclass being about 10 pounds more than it was as they get better at cutting weight.

The sport and the skillsets that were effective 10 years ago are still the same now as they were then.

Back