How good is Rodolfo Vieira?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
I don't really follow competitive BJJ scene. Obviously, I can wikipedia him, watch his clips, but I don't think you can always wikipedia people or just look at his matches here and there and fully grasp how good someone was or is. I just wanna kinda have a measuring stick to compare his BJJ against. Try to stick him in the list in terms of how good Vieira is compared to them.

List of BJJ fighters who at least once competed in MMA.

Roger
Marcelo
Jacare
Werdum
Maia
Kron
Bustamante
Lovato Jr
Yahya
Bibiano
Nogeuira
Tonon
Burns
Hall
Gunnar
Penn
Paul
Danis
Mir
Serra

Where would you stick him in that list?

*ps: I'm sure the list may not be accurate reflection of who's better than who, before someone gets butthurt over the list.

He's pretty new to MMA, so we don't really know how good he will be in MMA, but I remember years ago him possibly being the most feared guy in BJJ at one point. The only person that had a consistent chance back then against him was Buchecha. I think Buchecha beat him on points a bunch of times. But pretty much everyone else lost to him.

He's pretty new to MMA, so we don't really know how good he will be in MMA, but I remember years ago him possibly being the most feared guy in BJJ at one point. The only person that had a consistent chance back then against him was Buchecha. I think Buchecha beat him on points a bunch of times. But pretty much everyone else lost to him.

Where abouts would u rank him up there?

His BJJ against the other guy last night didn't look that great. Granted, the other guy has never been subbed before and he did get to him eventually, but the other guy seemed to have no problem fending him off and the other guy looked like he wanted him on his back

Well as far as BJJ accomplishments I'm pretty sure he's top 5 on that list. Off the top of my head only Roger is for sure more accomplished. Marcelo probably is. Werdum and Jacare are a lil less accomplished I think as far as worlds gold medals and adcc gold medals. So he might be top 3. But anyone more knowledgeable feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But in MMA grappling, obviously guys like Mir, Werdum, and Maia have done so much more.

Last edited:
He’s good. Grappling wise on your list his resume is probably only topped by Roger or Marcelo. Also Buchecha but he’s yet to have a fight.

I was confronted with that reality when I started BJJ in 2007. I realized that despite watching MMA for two years and knowing the names of all the positions and submissions, I actually knew nothing about grappling.

Doesnt sound like much changed

I mean in bjj he’s gotta some sub wins (I think 3?) early on by he has before he became near unstoppable so definitely top 5 ... I think in bjj he would have no problem against someone like Lovato who is a beast in his own right

but mma is a completely different animal and I think Lovato would have a way better chance or even beat rodolfo

still early though but I don’t think he’s translating as smoothly to mma as say jacare or werdum did

Compare him to those guys under what circumstances or rule set...IBJJF? ADCC? MMA?

Certainly add Galvao and Royler to that list...probably Magalhaes, Monson, pe de Pano...perhaps Drysdale too?

His BJJ against the other guy last night didn't look that great...
...Granted, the other guy has never been subbed before and he did get to him eventually, but...

'but since i do not have enough experience with combat sports to place achievements of some guys against some other guys into context, i can not tell if something is actually an impressive performance or not.'

'but since i do not have enough experience with combat sports to place achievements of some guys against some other guys into context, i can not tell if something is actually an impressive performance or not.'

Awe tough guy right here

Compare him to those guys under what circumstances or rule set...IBJJF? ADCC? MMA?

Certainly add Galvao and Royler to that list...probably Magalhaes, Monson, pe de Pano...perhaps Drysdale too?

Just BJJ, for whatever it's supposed to mean

oh yeah Galvao. That Woodley beat down really ended his MMA career. Oh yeah Vinny, Drysdale, I forget how many fights he had, but probably

I mean in bjj he’s gotta some sub wins (I think 3?) early on by he has before he became near unstoppable so definitely top 5 ... I think in bjj he would have no problem against someone like Lovato who is a beast in his own right

but mma is a completely different animal and I think Lovato would have a way better chance or even beat rodolfo

still early though but I don’t think he’s translating as smoothly to mma as say jacare or werdum did
Lovato beat Rodolfo nogi. In the gi Rodolfo was a force against anyone not called Buchecha.

He’s good. Grappling wise on your list his resume is probably only topped by Roger or Marcelo. Also Buchecha but he’s yet to have a fight.

So better than Maia Werdum Kron Galvao?

Well as far as BJJ accomplishments I'm pretty sure he's top 5 on that list. Off the top of my head only Roger is for sure more accomplished. Marcelo probably is. Werdum and Jacare are a lil less accomplished I think as far as worlds gold medals and adcc gold medals. So he might be top 3. But anyone more knowledgeable feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But in MMA grappling, obviously guys like Mir, Werdum, and Maia have done so much more.

So

Rogers
Marcelo
Vieira and the rest?

Better than Jacare, Werdum, Galvao, Kron? I remember watching Marcelo debut live, the guy had judo background, no BJJ, and he fended Marcelo off just fine, funny how it works.

Back