How good is Khabib's striking? [video]

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TheHouyhnhnm1, Aug 31, 2018.

1. TheHouyhnhnm1 Orange Belt

I re-watched all of Khabib's fights yesterday and had mixed feelings about his striking. A lot of people talk shit about it, and it's definitely not especially clean, but I also think there's something very effective about his unique style.
    What do you guys think?

Iaquinta said:
    “His standup was really good. I felt like I was a step behind him, just from the first two rounds of trying to get up and stay against the cage, he was kind of wearing on me a little bit. So I felt a little behind, but his jab is good. Every time I tried to let so combos go, he’s awkward, he’s got like the Russians — it’s just a different style of boxing. They were saying he’s got his head up. I connect with everybody. ... It was hard to get to him. He’s tough, he’s tough. He’s got his own style. He’s awkward. Maybe it doesn’t look like it from the outside, but, he’s definitely, he’s fucking tough man. I knew we had a mutual respect on the standup when it was going back and forth, he was definitely worried about my power shots. But he kept me away with his jab and his movement was a little awkward and good.”

If you watch the fight, Iaquinta didn't seem to be reacting to Khabib's jabs AT ALL. I like Iaquinta, but I don't put much stock into his judgment tbh.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. Thunderchild Platinum Nation Belt

Interacting with normal ppl (i.e. not on Sherdog)
    Khabib's path to victory is clear. The only aspect of his striking that matters is defense.

3. Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

It's super unorthodox and hilarious to watch at times, but it's effective enough to get him into clinch range, and he's not easy to tag cleanly.

4. UFC178 Banned Banned

He definitely is powerful on the feet when he wants to be. Just judging by the amount of times he's been hit, his defense is underrated and his opponents seem to have a hard time getting punches through.

I think his striking is regarded in a similar fashion to Conor's wrestling. They're both underrated, but obviously Conor is levels above Khabib on the feet and Khabib is levels above Conor on the ground. I think standing with Conor is more dangerous than Conor wrestling with Khabib, though.

5. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

thanks for the video. upon first glance my thought was "looping Eastern European overhand --> broken thumbs" ala Fedor, but later in the video it shows that he turns his hands very properly.

about halfway through that video, Rogan was talking about his amateurish standup against Al I. but here's what Al I had to say about it.

“His standup was really good. I felt like I was a step behind him, just from the first two rounds of trying to get up and stay against the cage, he was kind of wearing on me a little bit. So I felt a little behind, but his jab is good. Every time I tried to let so combos go, he’s awkward, he’s got like the Russians — it’s just a different style of boxing. They were saying he’s got his head up. I connect with everybody. ... It was hard to get to him. He’s tough, he’s tough. He’s got his own style. He’s awkward. Maybe it doesn’t look like it from the outside, but, he’s definitely, he’s fucking tough man. I knew we had a mutual respect on the standup when it was going back and forth, he was definitely worried about my power shots. But he kept me away with his jab and his movement was a little awkward and good.”​

so who should we believe on how effective his standup was against Al I; Al I or Joe? hmmmm.

that being said, anyone who doubts Conor can put his lights out is trying too hard.

6. MMAProfessional Golden Belt

I think Aldo came in with the same technique/wide hooks except in his case he only needed to throw on sloppy out of range hook to get slept. If khabib uses that against Conor it could be a short night.

7. Mysterio Banned Banned

This a video the TS put together

It's hard to strike against wrestlers when you fear the TD.

Strikers have to brace for a TD and try to implement their own striking game as well.

Look at Chael, or Weidman who both dropped Silva, Mendes landing bombs on Conor, Khabib landing heavy on Barboza, MJ, and outstriking Al.

Khabib actually outstruck Al, Barboza and MJ and this is how.

8. mb2621 Green Belt

His striking is not as important as his chin and striking defense. Duffy ate a shot coming in to sub McGregor.

9. p4pgoat Purple Belt

After watching that "highlight" video, I'm convinced he is going to get slept.

10. I Am Legion Silver Belt

Anyone that says it’s anything but rudimentary has no clue. It will only work against guys that aren’t efficient strikers themselves. Watch how he lunges forward with that uppercut.......his hands are down. Watch how he lunches forward with jabs, his Def hand is down. He does that against Connor he is going Night night. Whenever I see a fighter with his hands down when throwing or circling, I wonder how good the coaching is....it’s striking 101....

11. GordoBarraBJJ Steel Belt

It would be hilarious if conor won via Sub or Khabib won via standing one punch ko.

12. theTKDguy Red Belt

i think he has come a long way since his debut. he doesn't lunge forward with those uppercuts nowadays. he's more calm and has has good defense. he did throw that silly jump knee in the barboza fight to close the distance tho. i hate when he does that.

13. daruckus Black Belt

I think that fighters that often aren't seen as good strikers but work on their striking as Khabib has can't be taken lightly... I would not be surprised if Khabib hurt Conor standing. They have 4oz gloves on... But Khabib should def be the favorite in this fight even though I think Conor has a solid chance.

14. Mysterio Banned Banned

Gassed McGregor is one of the worst strikers I've ever seen. Loses all power and defense and stumbles around like a drunk.

If Khabib gasses Conor early he could very well fuck him up on the feet.

Especially considering Conor will have to adjust his stance to defend the takedown.

I think Khabib will just spam singles and chain wrestle all night though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. kpt018 Gold Belt

Everybody is right, his standup is below average. The thing is fighters fear him on the ground and overcompensate for preventing take downs and despite pretty poor technique he does hit hard.

The fight is truly a grappler vs striker matchup in the purest form. I would expect Khabib to immediately work takedowns or attempt to putt Conor against the cage and attempt to grind him out. If he thinks he can start out kickboxing and resort to takedowns later I think he's getting his lights shut off. Conversely, I think if Khabib gets McGregor down he gets dominant position and just punishes him and maybe even gets a submission.

This fight is fucking crazy.

16. cburm Purple Belt

What is unique about it.. He throws strikes like somone who cant fight he puts his head down and also movea his head streight up like he doesnt know what hes doing.. Most novice or beginners do this.

17. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

which was the goal of the video. watch the last 20 seconds again. after you recognize the video bias, you can then more easily put the video into an appropriate context.

18. Kung Fu Kowboy The Fight Doctor Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not good. But that grappling is top-tier and what got him here. This will be the classic striker vs wrestler - Joe.

19. Doughie99 Face-paint Belt

I think Khabib's striking is honestly a bit better than people think.
    Is it his A-game? No it's not.
    Is it what he is famous for? No it's not.

But reading what Al Iaquinta said, that quote above, after his fight, it does sound like Iaquinta was a little bit surprised by Khabib's stand-up and often that's ENOUGH to get you the advantage in the fight. Your opponent is gonna (before the fight) think "Ok his wrestling an grappling is super dangerous but heck at least I can f*ck him up on the feet" and it sounds to me like Iaquinta had a different view after the fight.

Hey, all opinions are good, no disrespect intended to anyone. It is an intriguing fight and we will see what we will see, and probably over-analyse it to death, as good Sherdoggers do, lol.....

20. ncnavguy White Belt

Khabib's striking is evolving. That lunging in throwing looping hooks with his head going down is def a recipe to get turned off, but it seems like he corrected that as his fights progressed. Despite the narrative he pieced Al I up with that jab in his last fight. Honestly though it's not going to be Khabib's striking at range that will get him the fight. It will be cage control, foot movement. Shooting singles from range will get stuffed and him hit, getting to clinch up against the cage is the key for him securing takedowns which would then lead to strength sapping GnP. Whoever executes better space management and "octagon control" (yes that bad phrase) will be the one most likely to come out with the W.