How good is Joe Rogan at BJJ relatively speaking?

A wrestler who didn't take BJJ classes. Simple as that. Don't know anything about jujitsu. Would not Rogan submit such a person easily?
This is a flawed question.
You have a person in particular you are thinking about? Any weight class?

This is a flawed question.
You have a person in particular you are thinking about? Any weight class?

I think he would submit any pure NCAA divison 1 guy of same weight class under UFC rules. Probably many above his weight class too. So no, nobody in particular. All of them.

I think he would submit any pure NCAA divison 1 guy of same weight class under UFC rules. Probably many above his weight class too. So no, nobody in particular. All of them.
Sooo a blackbelt with almost 20 years of training bjj would be able to submit a wrestler with no submission experience.. mind blown...

Sooo a blackbelt with almost 20 years of training bjj would be able to submit a wrestler with no submission experience.. mind blown...

I just posted a clip above showing that it is not at all a given. A wrestler (even of the same size) can dump a skinny BJJ black belt on his head. But with Rogan it is basically a foregone conclusion.

But he would submit a NCAA Division 1 wrestler easily? Or what do you guys think?

As long as there wasn't broken glass all over the floor.

As long as he didn't pull guard, because the wrestler would have 5 friends waiting to kick their friend's opponent in the head.

That jiu-jitsu guy was an idiot. If the other guy is CLEARLY superior in wrestling, why wouldn't he just pull guard? For sure he did, but got back up when the wrestler didn't want to engage.

There's almost no footage of him rolling which is odd when you think about ho much he loves bjj and him being a celebrity and somewhat of an ambassador or public spokesman of the sport.

So basically OP wants us to validate him trainjng solely jiujitsu and not having any takedown skills

Not happening TS

There's almost no footage of him rolling which is odd when you think about ho much he loves bjj and him being a celebrity and somewhat of an ambassador or public spokesman of the sport.

Probably because every BJJ keyboard warrior would have something to say. Think about it, you rarely see any celebrity rolling because of all the creepy people martial arts attracts...

Plus why would he want to justify himself to a forum full of white belts? He has put in the time and I see no reason to doubt he is probably much better than 99.9% of the people posting in Sherdog.

Last edited:
Probably because every BJJ keyboard warrior would have something to say. Think about it, you rarely see any celebrity rolling because of all the creepy people martial arts attracts...

Plus why would he want to justify himself to a forum full of white belts? He has put in the time and I see no reason to doubt he is probably much better than 99.9% of the people posting in Sherdog.

The first comments of this thread were awesome. Can he beat an ADCC medalist? No? Meh, hobbyist. :D

oh god, not again. It's some shitty 'grappling' competition from my country, and the footage isn't representative to bjj at all- what you see is some lame white belt level guy with no standup going against semi-decent pure standup guy under a ruleset invenved on the fly (because no one bothered to use ADCC, IBJJF or UWW rules). And as this white belt (I wouldn't give him a white even. Maybe trouser belt) is stupid enough to fight standup against pure standup guy, of course the results are hilarious. This is basically 'less than 6 months training on the ground' guy against 'several years of standup training' guy going at each other at a standup.

Last edited:
It's pretty hard to land a big throw on a guy who's perfectly content to be on their back.

No it isn't. A judoka could dump them on their head too. And have done so.. Or so they told me... Not saying it happens every time, but it happens.

Yeah, theres more footage of him doing TKD, which he nowdays despises.

dude is 50, hes legit, hes not a world champ nor would ever be, just like 99% of the black belts of the world.

you dont need to win worlds adcc to be legit.

no he wouldnt beat an NCAA D1 wrestler in a MMA fight, unless the other dude is 50 himself.

Have you ever been thrown by a fucking wrestler?
Yes, rather a lot. I've been picked up to shoulder height and slammed in an actual wrestling match, even. Despite how extreme and strong and manly it all was, I somehow managed not to die.

Back