How good is Joe Rogan at BJJ relatively speaking?

Common! My question was very well motivated. Look at the cans of Rogan. A wrestler better watch the fuck out.

There's footage of Rogan destroying some untrained guy that challenged him on MySpace, but it's pretty old. I think he was blue or purple at the time

Some black jijutsu grapplers would surely get tossed around by a random NCAA wrestler. But rogan has technique+ strength in jujitsu..

Probably not. Or rather, they would get tossed, but they'd finish them too. It doesn't really matter how good you are at wrestling if you have 0 knowledge of subs, you're going to get submitted. I'm not going to get into an argument about this because we have plenty of history showing that's the case, but in pure grappling with submissions any non-infirm BJJ black belt is going to finish a wrestler with no knowledge of submissions essentially all the time.

Let's take one scenario under UFC rules...

Btw, did you guys hear how disrespectful Cormier was about Anderson Silva before the match, dismissing his chances on the ground because he had no wrestling backgroind? Silva is a black belt in BJJ, which is why Cormier (brown belt) got nowhere on the ground ......
Hmmm.. maybe Cormier got "nowhere" become Anderson was doing nothing but STALLING on bottom, no serious attempts to even appear to be trying to stand up.. lockdown with no attempt to underhook, just hugging and wrist control with DC looking for posture to strike and pass and Silva doing absolutely nothing. DC also took him down so ridiculously easy it either looked like a joke or a fix... oh wait takedowns aren't apart of "grappling" because that's what the wrestlers are better than bjj guys right?? Jesus

Btw, Anderson is arguably the GOAT in his prime.. and took the fight on short notice etc. Point is.your talking shit is nonsensical and if you really want to go down the "wrestler vs bjj path" it will devolve to "well.. wrestlers only won because they're mean jocks and better athletes"or something along those lines

And let's be honest, more and more it's wrestlers who willing to embrace bjj than bjj guys embrace wrestling.

Point is that wrestlers in UFC would not have been successful without their ranks in BJJ, be it purple, brown or black belt. A grappler however could, and has, won with no wrestling background. Yet Cormier pretends as if wrestling is the shit....He doesn't acknowledge his opponents black belt in BJJ, when commenting before the fight. That's insane.

If Joe Rogan had a bear in The Truck, and the bear was a purple belt in bjj, but didn't know anything about 10th Planet, could Joe Rogan finish the bear with a twister?
He obviously loses via bear-im-bolo

Anybody here know Joe, or watched him roll?

I rolled with Joe years ago - we were purple belts. He had a little streak where he came back to JJ's and was rolling there, pretty regularly, for a few months. It was a no gi class, he good pressure, was strong and defintely had his positions. We had a pretty even exchange going back and forth. Neither of us could get a sub. I'd say he'd make a pretty good recreational BB. Not adult world champion but he definitely knows his stuff.

Not if they were tossed on concrete...

Oh, is that the game you want to play? Yes, if you want, you can change the conditions to the point where the wrestler will win. Good for you. Go have a cookie.

Oh, is that the game you want to play? Yes, if you want, you can change the conditions to the point where the wrestler will win. Good for you. Go have a cookie.

How could you seriously rule out that a BJJ guy be dumped on his head, regardless of the external conditions? You think they control their fall?

He's really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good.

Po..int is that wrestlers in UFC would not have been successful without their ranks in BJJ, be it purple, brown or black belt. A grappler however could, and has, won with no wrestling background. Yet Cormier pretends as if wrestling is the shit....He doesn't acknowledge his opponents black belt in BJJ, when commenting before the fight. That's insane.
lol, I've never seen Anderson acknowledge an opponents skill without sarcasm or derision and even spent an entire fight insulting and embarrassing Damien Maia calling him a rich boy pussy, And if you actually look at results.. black and white results, wrestling can be argued as the shit.. hence why you are so desperate bjj is "acknowledged". Which is weird because Cormier outgrappled Anderson in every aspect.. and it's funny yes wrestlers are learning bjj, , you have video of Ben Askren training with Marcelo, Cormier trains with Buchecha, and on and on,.. this isn't 2004. Wrestlers, especially the ones in mma are learning bjj, even if it means losing occasionally like Askren did to Marcello

Yet asides from Maia or Tonon, what bjj guys are going to DI schools and training? What ones are going to the OTC's and working with Jordan Burroughs? Do you think wrestlers or wrestling coaches are so rich they're not willing to help out if someone is actually willing to learn and pay? Do you think they'd be willing to take the ass kicking it would take to get better?

You see the main reason I get annoyed about things like this isn't necessarily a wrestling vs bjj thing. It's the cognitive dissonance when it comes to wrestling vs 'grappling' because if you actually believe in the positional hierarchy of bjj.. and that positional hierarchy is what makes bjj so unique and/or superior... wrestling should be much more embraced than it is

Let's take one scenario under UFC rules...

Under UFC rules Rogan receives a 5 year suspension for testing positive for many banned substances, though the press release will most definitely focus on the most nefarious of PEDs - marijuana.

Cormier pretends as if wrestling is the shit....He doesn't acknowledge his opponents black belt in BJJ, when commenting before the fight. That's insane.

Weird. It's almost like he was trying to sell a fight or something, particularly a fight that didn't look to be nearly as exciting as the one he originally had booked.

He was answering a question about the stylistic change in facing Silva, and for whatever reason forgot that Silva is a black belt in BJJ. Does he seriously believe his Olympic wrestling stands any chance against equivalent level of BJJ? He sure makes that impression.. I mean silva is not a wrestler, so in cormiers mind, he must therefore be at a disadvantage on the ground.

UFC 1993 to Daniel Cormier, are you there?

Under UFC rules Rogan receives a 5 year suspension for testing positive for many banned substances, .

ROrgan claims he had an abnormally low level of testosterone before taking it. It was only fair game..

He was answering a question about the stylistic change in facing Silva, and for whatever reason forgot that Silva is a black belt in BJJ. Does he seriously believe his Olympic wrestling stands any chance against equivalent level of BJJ? He sure makes that impression.. I mean silva is not a wrestler, so in cormiers mind, he must therefore be at a disadvantage on the ground.

UFC 1993 to Daniel Cormier, are you there?
ahhh I get it.. you hate getting smashed by wrestlers it's ok, it's not magic, keep working

Back