How good is Joe Rogan at BJJ relatively speaking?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Isn't someone of his build and strength optimal for BJJ? What does he lack to get to the next level?

I am very interested in the art of BJJ, what separates the best...

BB from eddie bravo is probably pretty good.

He is a famous hobby player. He is good but can not compete at the national or international level with the big boys.

He's legit. He's not winning adcc or anything, but legit.

He is a 49-year-old hobbyist black belt. What he lacks to take the next step is a time machine and the willingness to not become a famous millionaire.

So not that much, really.

Last edited:
But he would submit a NCAA Division 1 wrestler easily? Or what do you guys think?

He may be a skilled grappler, but he says a lot of dumb things in his commentary.

He is just a hobbyist guy who trains. He is probably a decent black belt. He doesn't have the time or effort to move to the next level. He is probably that black belt that trains all the time and wrecks pretty much everyone and gives really experienced guys a really hard time.

I think he was injured a few years back and I don't know how much he is actually training now a days.

I heard from a podcast episode (EBR or JRE I forget) Eddie mentioning that Joe had a good top game and was a strong dude overall, I think this was when Joe was still a brown. I guess it's safe to say that he's pretty good for a hobbyist black belt.

Would Rogan tap out any NCAA division 1 wrestler? Supposing the wrestler doesn't know grappling?

Would Rogan tap out any NCAA division 1 wrestler? Supposing the wrestler doesn't know grappling?
We read your question the first time. It still remains a silly question when restated.

We read your question the first time. It still remains a silly question when restated.

Why? The Gracies beat all wrestling challenges... And the Gracies are by modern comparison far from the best.

Not the best, not the worst. Guys who medal at the worlds or ADCC would blow through him, but that's to be expected. He's probably trained with a lot of legit guys, and he has a lot of experience, but he's old and likely has a fair few injuries. To be honest I've never seen a video of him actually rolling, but there is a cool video of him showing a neck crank to TJ Dillashaw and Danny Castillo where they are listening to him very intently.
A wrestler who didn't take BJJ classes. Simple as that. Don't know anything about jujitsu. Would not Rogan submit such a person easily?
Lol depends on if that wrestler doesn't give him a shoulder injury when he slams him into the mat.

A wrestler who didn't take BJJ classes. Simple as that. Don't know anything about jujitsu. Would not Rogan submit such a person easily?
Under a BJJ rule set, rogan would probably win. That's fairly obvious, no?

Under a BJJ rule set, rogan would probably win. That's fairly obvious, no?

Let's take one scenario under UFC rules...

Btw, did you guys hear how disrespectful Cormier was about Anderson Silva before the match, dismissing his chances on the ground because he had no wrestling backgroind? Silva is a black belt in BJJ, which is why Cormier (brown belt) got nowhere on the ground ......

Back