How good is bike cycling for MMA endurance?

Just cause you spout a bunch of junk about challenging you abilities don't change the fact that if you substitute cycling for running will cost you time and distance trying to burn the same calories.

According to the Cooper institute, cycling is second only to plyometrics in regards to calorie burning efficiency.

I don't remember specifically, but I think running was number 4 on the list.

According to the Cooper institute, cycling is second only to plyometrics in regards to calorie burning efficiency.

I don't remember specifically, but I think running was number 4 on the list.

So if I ride my bike down a hill i'll burn more calories than if I run up it?

:rolleyes:

I haven't seen to many Tour De France riders over weight, they must be doing something right.

Alternative to running? My joints take a beating running.

I do weight lifting but wanted higher endurance, how about bike cycling? And should it be steady state, intervals, etc.?

Thank you.

Hey Oldmanfighter, Based on your question I say biking can be a good alternative to running. Especially since you have joint problems. I would suggest you try the airdyne by Schwinn. You can use both the upper and lower body extremities while exercising on the airdyne.The goal of training is improve and not get injured. Injuries can set you back and you will most likely lose most of your hard work. Try to think long term and not quick gains. You can get a good workout as running, but intensity is the key. Biking is also safer for the older population since you don't risk falling while trying to sprint on a treadmill and it is easier to control the pace.

The mode of the exercise should also depend on the individual too. If the individual have joint problem its stupid to tell him to run and pound his joint and cause him to further injure himself. Each individual is different and there is no one way to train. Training should be tailored to the individual's need.

Interval training can help develop the anaerobic and aerobic system. There are different interval protocols out there. I don't know your fitness lvl. so here are some examples:

10/20 work/rest
15/15
20/10
30/30
30/60
30/90

It all depends on how fit you are. Obviously if you are a beginner you want to start light and work your way up. As your body adapts you might want to increase the work/rest ratio. Hope this helps

P.S before starting any high intensity exercise its better to discuss it with your physician first to make sure your in good health.

Cycling doesn't seem to do a damn thing for my cardio, unless I'm doing steep hills.

you have got to be fucking retarded. seriously.

I can cycle all over town until my nuts are about to rot off, several times a week, and it really doesn't seem to help me at the (kickboxing) gym, at all.

If you're not willing to consider the implications of that, then I couldn't care less what you think.

I can cycle all over town until my nuts are about to rot off, several times a week, and it really doesn't seem to help me at the (kickboxing) gym, at all.

I find it good for my kickboxing. Riding average 30 min a day. Outdoors always.

If you're not willing to consider the implications of that, then I couldn't care less what you think.

I think it implies you should get some ointment for your rotten nuts.

I find that barbell complexes and interval (swings in particular, but pretty much anything) transfer over to grappling well.

I guess it depends what level of fitness you are at. I went mountain biking for 1.5 hours a couple days ago with my friends (they go all the time) after not biking for about 10 years and I had more energy than the both of them. So I don't know...

I guess it depends what level of fitness you are at. I went mountain biking for 1.5 hours a couple days ago with my friends (they go all the time) after not biking for about 10 years and I had more energy than the both of them. So I don't know...

what it depends on is how hard you ride - the intensity not the activity.

Back