How good is Ben Askren? Is he a threat to GSP?

MMAaddictus

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Haven't seen the guy fight. Does he pose a legit threat to GSP?

Let's just say that if Arksen is a blanket, than GSP is a snuggie.

Askren is a good wrestler, but GSP is the better fighter.

GSP with injury >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kos past his prime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ben Askren

Yeah, if it went to the ground somehow, it might be interesting. But I don't think anyone Askren has faced has the TDD of GSP. Askren would get his face jabbed in.

Maybe if GSP came into the fight blindfolded, with both arms tied behind his back and 2 broken legs Askren would have a chance

Pure folkstyle wrestling the only active fighters with superior pedigrees are Hendricks and Rosholt.

His submission game is very good and getting better. Striking is improving too.

Right now he is too one-dimensional to pose a threat.

I believe he does. Once on the ground, he will control him. His problem will be getting him there. GSP is great at jabbing his way to a win. He plays well at taking advantage of his opponents weaknesses.

Pure folkstyle wrestling the only active fighters with superior pedigrees are Hendricks and Rosholt.

His submission game is very good and getting better. Striking is improving too.

Right now he is too one-dimensional to pose a threat.

ben askren has won the ncaa title twice and gotten runner up the other two times.

though hendricks did beat benny

I've been on the Ben Askren train since it started rolling.

Having said that - I don't think, IMO, he poses a threat to defeating GSP. GSP is a far superior athlete and infinitely more well-rounded in his striking and submission grappling.

Does Ben do well enough on the feet to get all the guys he has fought to the ground? Yes, he does so with relative ease. Once on top of these guys, he makes them look silly, basically.

He would have a hard time getting close enough to GSP to take him down. Askren does not really set up his takedown - he just shoots in for something and once he gets a hold of a leg, or body, he can work his magic.

GSP is a way better athlete than Askren. I don't think he gets that many opportunities at taking GSP down...I think he gets tooled on the feet and probably TKO'd.

Just my opinion - really like and enjoy watching both of them.

Askren stands no chance against GSP, let him fight Nick Diaz and see what happens lol

Back