How good is Andre Harrison? I’ve never seen him fight

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
That’s a pretty good record but I see a split decision win against Siler and not too many notable names?

He's kinda like Daniel Straus and Darrion Caldwell and Derek Brunson and Phil Davis. A large and above-average-framed (meaning they're not short and squat like Woodley) guy from a strong-but-not-noteworthy wrestling background and explosive-but-well-formed striking whose strong submission wrestling skills are the centerpoint of their entire game. There have been a few other guys like that I can't think of.
Caldwell and Davis had very noteworthy wrestling backgrounds, Caldwell being an NCAA champion, which's why they're the best of these guys, but the similarities in their styles and physical presence in the fights are apparent all the same.

Also, Harrison beat Siler and four other guys who also beat Siler. So Siler really shouldn't be the most notable name you see. The Mike Brown knockout was 5 years ago and he's lost like 8 fights since then.

Last edited:
He's kinda like Daniel Straus and Darrion Caldwell and Derek Brunson and Phil Davis. A large and above-average-framed (meaning they're not short and squat like Woodley) guy from a strong-but-not-noteworthy wrestling background and explosive-but-well-formed striking whose strong submission wrestling skills are the centerpoint of their entire game. There have been a few other guys like that I can't think of.
Caldwell and Davis had very noteworthy wrestling backgrounds, Caldwell being an NCAA champion, which's why they're the best of these guys, but the similarities in their styles and physical presence in the fights are apparent all the same.

Also, Harrison beat Siler and four other guys who also beat Siler. So Siler really shouldn't be the most notable name you see. The Mike Brown knockout was 5 years ago and he's lost like 8 fights since then.
Isn't Siler first at PFL LW?
Harrison has better names on his record, but Siler isn't a bad one imo

There have been a few other guys like that I can't think of.
Aj McKee
Beastin 26/9
Jon Jones (?)
Devin Clark
David Branch
Ed Ruth

And those are only the explosive ones
Guys like Lance Palmer fit the bill too

I tuned in because Gregor Gillespie in his post fight speech said that's his teammate, but he's pretty boring in PFL. Zero interest in re-watching his PFL matches so far.

He's good but he's a dec machine, not a finisher, not flashy and thats why he never got a shot in UFC despite being a champ and unbeaten.

Decision machine but nontheless a pretty good fighter. Has some legit wins in Siler , Green , Holobaugh , Palmer , Popo Bezerra , and Malegarie.

Good just not the most entertaining fighter

Andre Harrison is a smart, technical MMA fighter, who doesn't leave himself open to be finished by being stupid. He does go for finishes, but seems to lack knockout power and he is quick to give up on submission attempts when he feels he may have the possibility of losing the position advantage. He's a really sound fighter and not a lay and pray fighter.

I’d compare him to Antonio McKee. Pretty stiff but obviously has the scoring game figured out enough to be taken seriously.

Isn't Siler first at PFL LW?
Harrison has better names on his record, but Siler isn't a bad one imo

Aj McKee
Beastin 26/9
Jon Jones (?)
Devin Clark
David Branch
Ed Ruth

And those are only the explosive ones
Guys like Lance Palmer fit the bill too

Ed Ruth fits the bill, as does AJ Mckee, and probably Antonio Mckee (his striking wasn't good enough against Aoki to really impress me, and he was on a three-fight winning streak after losing in his UFC debut by split decision, so you can't say he was passed his prime). I only watched Anderson's fight with Shogun, but he's probably close enough. I thought Kamaru Usman might fit this description based on his frame and the Davis-esque wrestling background, but I haven't watched enough of his fights to say that. And he seems to be more focused on ground-control than ground-activity and striking compared to, like, Daniel Straus, from what I can tell. Did Shalorus wrestle a lot in the WEC? Cuz' his boxing was always crisp and fast, and he's big enough to qualify.

Jon Jones, Devin Clark and David Branch don't. Their frames have to be above-average. I thought Jones would fit this file perfectly, but Jones is giganticic, not above-average. And Branch and Clark are both very conventionally-built for their divisions. Besides, Clark's not good enough, and Branch didn't have any kind of a wrestling career to qualify.
Palmer's too short to fit this profile.
It's weird how many guys like this there are outside the UFC. I looked through the UFC's rankings and Brunson was the only guy I saw on my first try, and there're a bunch in Bellator alone.

Ed Ruth fits the bill, as does AJ Mckee, and probably Antonio Mckee (his striking wasn't good enough against Aoki to really impress me, and he was on a three-fight winning streak after losing in his UFC debut by split decision, so you can't say he was passed his prime). I only watched Anderson's fight with Shogun, but he's probably close enough. I thought Kamaru Usman might fit this description based on his frame and the Davis-esque wrestling background, but I haven't watched enough of his fights to say that. And he seems to be more focused on ground-control than ground-activity and striking compared to, like, Daniel Straus, from what I can tell. Did Shalorus wrestle a lot in the WEC? Cuz' his boxing was always crisp and fast, and he's big enough to qualify.

Jon Jones, Devin Clark and David Branch don't. Their frames have to be above-average. I thought Jones would fit this file perfectly, but Jones is giganticic, not above-average. And Branch and Clark are both very conventionally-built for their divisions. Besides, Clark's not good enough, and Branch didn't have any kind of a wrestling career to qualify.
Palmer's too short to fit this profile.
It's weird how many guys like this there are outside the UFC. I looked through the UFC's rankings and Brunson was the only guy I saw on my first try, and there're a bunch in Bellator alone.
If you want to be that specific I would exclude Anderson as he definitely values control more than subs or GnP. His standup is also pretty stiff
You could add Desmond Green, but as you said that aren't few fighters who fit the bill, especially in the regionals

Only entertaining fight of him I've seen was against Bezerra.

Also, lol at anyone comparing him to Caldwell.

He's good but he's a dec machine, not a finisher, not flashy and thats why he never got a shot in UFC despite being a champ and unbeaten.

I hate when that happens, makes the sport to pro wrestling like.

He’s aight. Just another Will Brooks honestly. Good athlete, decent speed and fundamentals. But dude couldn’t even finish his dinner better yet another pro fighter.

Andre Harrison is a smart, technical MMA fighter, who doesn't leave himself open to be finished by being stupid. He does go for finishes, but seems to lack knockout power and he is quick to give up on submission attempts when he feels he may have the possibility of losing the position advantage. He's a really sound fighter and not a lay and pray fighter.

I don’t think I consider him a lay and pray fighter either, but for the reasons you mentioned above, I do think he tends to play it safe and is ok getting decision wins as long as he never puts himself in jeopardy.

He's a cautious tight boxer with a good wrestling base from what ive seen. Its worked so far. Hes kinda slow until he burst into a combination.

Back