How good is Anderson Silva today? How he should be ranked?

Your all so right... The guy who cleaned out the division loses by KO then breaks a leg, he should be 8-15 easily in the rankings. Come on people be real. He is easily #2 or #3 right now period. Until he comes back and loses again that is where he belongs. Sorry but does anyone really think that Anderson sucks. He lost, it happens, move on, just respect the skills he has shown.

I say let him fight Kennedy or Bisping or someone like that. If he murders that person he gets a crack at the title, if he wants it. Personally I would rather see him at LHW so we can get some great match ups.

I dont think sherdog will ever change. you are only as good as your last fight here.

if you won, then you are the best ever ready to challenge the champ, you lose a couple then you suck and are overrated.

Silva has 39 fights, Lyoto has 25.
Silva also trained at Chute Boxe, a gym notorious for their hardcore training and sparring sessions.
On top of that Silva started his career in '97 and Lyoto started his in 2003.

Didn't Lyoto train at Chute Boxe too?

Kato was 13-2 who basically only lost to Sakurai(his other loss was in his 3rd fight and he avenged that 6 fights later) and he was a top 10 welterweight. Stiebling(i made a typo and if you knew who he was you wouldn't have typed Steibling) was a top 10 middleweight and he had a 12-1-2 record before fighting Anderson. and Murray was 8-1-1(1), had a knockout win over Pele, was 1-0 in the UFC(had beaten Rivera, who was a very solid win back then) and was also considered a top 10 fighter. He could have head a solid career in MMA if he didn't get arrested for pulling the biggest robberies in UK history.

Hilarious logic. Since I misspelled his name, just as you did, I don't know who he is? Interesting. Would the same apply if I mispelled Pat Barry?

Listing a w/l record doesn't prove a thing, and how you feel Murray's career would've gone is irrelevant.

I think the question is, how good was he back in his prime? He was doing things that were just incredible, no doubt. Not to take anything away from him, but we all knew things would look a lot different against a power house wrestler with good sub defense. By the time he fought Hendo (which I thought was his most impressive win), Hendo was pretty much a brawler and Silva was, at that point, a sniper.

All orgs are guilty of shielding certain fighters to build up their brand, albeit not nearly as bad as boxing, and from a business standpoint you can't blame them. I would have loved to see Anderson fight a fighter like Rashad at 205....basically, the murder's row of guys that were thrown at Jones. The amazing thing about Jones is that I do not feel the UFC is protecting him as much as a fighter like Ronda or Andy and he has won all his fights. If Jones beats Gus again and then Cormier, we will know how good he really is. Sadly, I feel we were almost robbed of knowing how good Andy was due to lack of MW competition and the Zuffa business model of the time.

I don't see Anderson having that much success in the future and feel history remembers him as the best for a period in time, just like Fedor. It is going to be really fun to see what fighters will look like in 20 years, the sport is just evolving in such a massive way and we owe much of that to Andy. Too bad that there wasn't a platform for him to showcase his skills in the way that there is today.

Your all so right... The guy who cleaned out the division loses by KO then breaks a leg, he should be 8-15 easily in the rankings. Come on people be real. He is easily #2 or #3 right now period. Until he comes back and loses again that is where he belongs. Sorry but does anyone really think that Anderson sucks. He lost, it happens, move on, just respect the skills he has shown.

I say let him fight Kennedy or Bisping or someone like that. If he murders that person he gets a crack at the title, if he wants it. Personally I would rather see him at LHW so we can get some great match ups.

I agree. Put him at LHW. The ironic thing is, he looked absolutely unstoppable at LHW and I SOOOO wish that he would have fought there more. I think his days of title contention are done and I just want to see him in fun fights. The guy is without a doubt the greatest entertainer in UFC history.

Actually, I know this is a super long shot (different weights and orgs), but I would love to see Michael Venom Page vs Andy at a catch weight. That would be possibly the most entertaining fight ever....:D

I think the question is, how good was he back in his prime? He was doing things that were just incredible, no doubt. Not to take anything away from him, but we all knew things would look a lot different against a power house wrestler with good sub defense. By the time he fought Hendo (which I thought was his most impressive win), Hendo was pretty much a brawler and Silva was, at that point, a sniper.

All orgs are guilty of shielding certain fighters to build up their brand, albeit not nearly as bad as boxing, and from a business standpoint you can't blame them. I would have loved to see Anderson fight a fighter like Rashad at 205....basically, the murder's row of guys that were thrown at Jones. The amazing thing about Jones is that I do not feel the UFC is protecting him as much as a fighter like Ronda or Andy and he has won all his fights. If Jones beats Gus again and then Cormier, we will know how good he really is. Sadly, I feel we were almost robbed of knowing how good Andy was due to lack of MW competition and the Zuffa business model of the time.

I don't see Anderson having that much success in the future and feel history remembers him as the best for a period in time, just like Fedor. It is going to be really fun to see what fighters will look like in 20 years, the sport is just evolving in such a massive way and we owe much of that to Andy. Too bad that there wasn't a platform for him to showcase his skills in the way that there is today.

What? You wanted to see Anderson fight the guy's Jon Jones was fighting? That is your validation he was being protected? Ugh...corner for you!

I'm aware. The point was, no matter what happened - death, prison, abduction - he doesnt have the resume or the accomplishments to say beating him means something.

I don't agree... I think that there are good fighters that don't have awesome resumes. And I think Lee Murry is a notable win for anybody. Just my opinion though.

I don't agree... I think that there are good fighters that don't have awesome resumes. And I think Lee Murry is a notable win for anybody. Just my opinion though.

Resume/significant accomplishments gives us an objective way of determining that. Lee Murray's only notable wins are Rivera and Pele. Oh, and draw with the great Chris Bacon.

Champion : Chris Weidman
1 Anderson Silva
2 Vitor Belfort
3 Lyoto Machida
4 Jacare Souza
5 Luke Rockhold
6 Tim Kennedy
7 Mark Munoz
8 Michael Bisping
9 Francis Carmont
10 Costas Philippou
11 Gegard Mousasi
12 Yoel Romero
13 Tim Boetsch
14 Thales Leites
15 Brad Tavares

Seems about right.

On a 2 fight losing streak. Ranked number one, ahead of a guy who's on a 2 fight winning streak and fighting for the title. Makes sense

On a 2 fight losing streak. Ranked number one, ahead of a guy who's on a 2 fight winning streak and fighting for the title. Makes sense

The guy on a 2-fight winning streak isn't in any talks for GOAT and has never defended a belt more than twice.

LMK

I want to see Silva/Belfort 2. Anderson shouldn't be in the top 5 at MW.

Anderson just lost to Weidman who is now the undisputed Champ. He is top 5 (Should be 2 until he losses again) easily, don't late hate blind you.

The guy on a 2-fight winning streak isn't in any talks for GOAT and has never defended a belt more than twice.

LMK

And there was me thinking divisional rankings were about the present.

Resume/significant accomplishments gives us an objective way of determining that. Lee Murray's only notable wins are Rivera and Pele. Oh, and draw with the great Chris Bacon.

He was ranked top 10 at the time. That means something. Enough people saw him fight and considered him a top fighter. Your revisionist history doesn't amount to a whole lot.

And there was me thinking divisional rankings were about the present.

You don't drop from the rankings after legitimately losing one fight(especially one that was that weird) when you dominated the division for 7 straight years.

He would lose to half of those guys listed.

Back