How good a rapper was Tupac Shakur?

How good a rapper was Tupac Shakur?

• Total voters
The King - Nobody gets you fired up like Pac..

Different strokes. Dudes like Danny Brown get me hype. Pac is dope af though but I chill out when I listen to Pac. When I wanna RIP shit I listen to Danny Brown or Death Grips.

Not the best lyricist ever (although he’s sometimes underrated in this regard) but in terms of making you feel something inside, he is the best for me, and imo he is one of the very best overall. I would personally label him the best. There’s a lot of casual rap fans who label him the best when they cant even name the albums he recorded while he was alive and these people are also not aware of other great rappers. Sometimes this can lead to him being considered overrated, but as a pretty informed rap fan, his music is the best I have heard overall.

He could at times contradict himself, but he was very versatile. He made songs about how great women are and then other songs how annoying bitches are; gangbanging type songs and diss tracks that got you hyped and then songs that called to stop the violence. He made sad, depressing songs, especially during the MATW and DR era, but also made songs that would inspire you.

The sheer amount of songs he recorded is insane. He has so many unreleased songs that are better than what most rappers ever released. He also went out on top and his death just added to the appeal of a lot of his songs. It’s a shame that post death they ruined a lot of his previously unreleased songs with awful remixes and replacement beats, plus a terrible movie, but his legacy is still in tact.

Last edited:
Average.

I honestly can't name a single song he ever did beyond California Love. And I couldn't identify him without being told the song was by him. He benefits from the death.

He's amazing, if you start comparing him to others he's not the best at any one attribute of hip hop imo, Though he evidently put a lot of heart into his work.. I think he did have more and less ability than many believe, he could freestyle really fucking well which I personally love... Iconic dude though, some of his music is incredibly passionate, his character and influence makes him absolute top tier. Wish he had more tracks with Biggie , they sound sick together.

Dude had a passion that I'm not sure has been matched, and the emotion he put into his lyrics was astounding. Unfortunately he slipped into mainstream, gangster ignorance after Me Against The World, and while the skill and passion was still there the lyrical content dropped massively. Even Thug Life is a better 2Pac album than anything that came after.
I also think the production on his work before All Eyez was better suited to Pac than the more polished Death Row/Dre sound that followed

Just my opinion... Always be one of my favourites but can never consider him anywhere near the best emcee

Average.

I honestly can't name a single song he ever did beyond California Love. And I couldn't identify him without being told the song was by him. He benefits from the death.
Isn't that because you simply don't know his music rather than anything to do with his skill?
I don't know anything Pavarotti did beyond the football song, but that doesn't mean he's no good, just means I don't get to form a real opinion on him

California.... knows how to party. In the citaaay, the city of Compton...
Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex

<mma4>

The greatest of all time
He was a true street poet that could take you on a ride through the ghettos of California, sometimes making you feel the beauty of life and other times bringing you into the utter hopelessness of it all with just the power of his words
Me Against The World is a true masterpiece, one of the greatest albums ever released in any genre of music

Last edited:
Great delivery, pretty solid flow, average lyrics.
Hennesy-enemy rhymes.

He was nice but biggie would crush him as a rapper and lyricist.

Most of his beats sucked. If he had better beats he'd have been better, IMO.

Most of his beats sucked. If he had better beats he'd have been better, IMO.
all eyez on me had the best production he ever had. aside from that and a few songs off the 7 day theory, i didnt care for his beats at all

biggie on the other hand, had great production on both albums. life after death had a few commercial/pop tracks i didnt really fuck with, but still. amazing production to back up the rapping and storytelling of biggie

Good voice, average flow, good lyricist until he joined death row then he became garbage

Average overall. He was charismatic, intelligent, and a pretty good actor. I think that helped propel his rap career

Has sherdog ever done a tournament for the best rap albums/artists and all that shit?

Has sherdog ever done a tournament for the best rap albums/artists and all that shit?
Like a World Cup type thing?

man I helped out a website do one of those years back, I can't remember if it was Ego Trip or Kev Nottingham

Good fun though, I forget who won, have a feeling it was either a BDP or KRS One album

My all time favorite, Strictly and All Eyes are two of my all time favorite albums overall.

Back