How garbage was Roy Jones commentary in the AJ Usyk fight?

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was surprised at how awful he sounded. I thought Roy was one of the better boxers who made the switch to commentary during his time with HBO. Wtf was he watching in this fight? He kept reacting and praising Joshua the whole fight and refused to acknowledge Usyk's work. Then at the end pretending like AJ resting on his stool was gonna make a difference in the judge's decision when the fight was a one sided beat down.

I was surprised at how awful he sounded. I thought Roy was one of the better boxers who made the switch to commentary during his time with HBO. Wtf was he watching in this fight? He kept reacting and praising Joshua the whole fight and refused to acknowledge Usyk's work. Then at the end pretending like AJ resting on his stool was gonna make a difference in the judge's decision when the fight was a one sided beat down.
He must hate Usyk! Dox him!

The commentary team seemed pretty biased towards AJ the whole time, not just Roy, imo. I get it tho, he's the money guy and it was on his turf so it makes sense that they'd be leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

No, this is wrong. What happened is Roy was conscious about Joshua getting a beat down but he understood that he had to praise Joshua since he is the superstar, so every time Joshua did anything remotely significant Roy acted like he was Muhammad Ali making adjustments.

the reality was when the fight ended the whole charade ended as well and Roy flat out said Joshua did not win, before the judges call. then went on to call Usyk a genius. He just seemed to feel he had to pump Joshua while tu e fight was going on as to make it seem more interesting than it really was. Nobody actually thought Joshua was winning

he does have a point about Joshua sitting on his stool acting defeated thingy, dude could have at least pretended he felt he had a better performance

I think the simple truth is Joshua wasn't looking good in a lot of rounds and Roy was just saying what he needed to do to change things up. I don't think Roy is part of the grand "everyone hates Usyk" conspiracy.

He must hate Usyk! Dox him!
Russian Roy Jones probably does hate the Ukrainian, wouldn't surprise me at all

1029165175_0:0:2424:1629_2424x1629_80_0_0_baef605c7814e7f6edb846569d8bdf02.jpg

The commentary team seemed pretty biased towards AJ the whole time, not just Roy, imo. I get it tho, he's the money guy and it was on his turf so it makes sense that they'd be leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Roy was the only one who seemed to be watching a completely different fight though. Even the British commentator was acknowledging it wasn't going good for AJ

No, this is wrong. What happened is Roy was conscious about Joshua getting a beat down but he understood that he had to praise Joshua since he is the superstar, so every time Joshua did anything remotely significant Roy acted like he was Muhammad Ali making adjustments.

the reality was when the fight ended the whole charade ended as well and Roy flat out said Joshua did not win, before the judges call. then went on to call Usyk a genius. He just seemed to feel he had to pump Joshua while tu e fight was going on as to make it seem more interesting than it really was. Nobody actually thought Joshua was winning

he does have a point about Joshua sitting on his stool acting defeated thingy, dude could have at least pretended he felt he had a better performance
After the fight he said some negative stuff about AJ not being good and unimpressive the last few fights. During the actual fight he was dick riding the whole time, talkin about AJ making adjustments or landing his right hand. A few really stupid comments he made too. At one point, one commentator was saying something about Usyk looking relaxed and loose, and Roy said something stupid about how he will get knocked out if AJ lands on him while he's relaxed. Another time made a stupid comment about AJ looking unbothered by Usyk's punches right before Usyk landed and AJ was visibly rocked.

And no he didn't have a point the stool thingy. In a one sided fight body language doesn't mean jack shit. Would it also have helped if AJ raised his hand in victory as they were announcing the results?

I heard Roy mention in round 1 or 2 that he thought Usyk could keep up the frantic pace for the whole fight.

After the fight he said some negative stuff about AJ not being good and unimpressive the last few fights. During the actual fight he was dick riding the whole time, talkin about AJ making adjustments or landing his right hand. A few really stupid comments he made too. At one point, one commentator was saying something about Usyk looking relaxed and loose, and Roy said something stupid about how he will get knocked out if AJ lands on him while he's relaxed. Another time made a stupid comment about AJ looking unbothered by Usyk's punches right before Usyk landed and AJ was visibly rocked.

And no he didn't have a point the stool thingy. In a one sided fight body language doesn't mean jack shit. Would it also have helped if AJ raised his hand in victory as they were announcing the results?

yep, it’s a strategy as old as boxing. Joshua and most of us knew that there was a big chance Usyk gets robbed. Joshua then has to defend why he feels he won among the boos from the crowd. This happens all the time. If Joshua raises his hands and acts as he won he is already selling the narrative that he won, just in case the judges are blind.

if the judges gave him the fight and he looks as defeated as he was after the bell then nobody would believe even he thinks he won.

it’s not Roy who says this things, literally every trainer, after a fight ends they tell their fighter to raise their hands and act like they won.

yep, it’s a strategy as old as boxing. Joshua and most of us knew that there was a big chance Usyk gets robbed. Joshua then has to defend why he feels he won among the boos from the crowd. This happens all the time. If Joshua raises his hands and acts as he won he is already selling the narrative that he won, just in case the judges are blind.

if the judges gave him the fight and he looks as defeated as he was after the bell then nobody would believe even he thinks he won.

it’s not Roy who says this things, literally every trainer, after a fight ends they tell their fighter to raise their hands and act like they won.
Usyk won on the cards so your fears were unfounded.

Boxing fans need to stop looking for boogeymen around every corner.

best roy jones jr comments during the fight---

British commentator in round 9 - "it looks like Usyk is getting his 2nd wind"

Roy Jones response "yep, hes getting tired".................................................?

also

Upon watching Usyk landing a really hard punch on Joshua and the british commentator stating "one more shot and joshua could go down! "

Roys response - "ya but one shot from AJ and Usyk could go down."

Just brilliant stuff all round from roy.

Usyk won on the cards so your fears were unfounded.

Boxing fans need to stop looking for boogeymen around every corner.

You do realize just a couple of fights before this one Ricky Hatton’s son won via robbery. It’s not unfounded, we are used to shit like this.

I’m definitely not a fan of selling the fight when the fight is on. We’re already watching the effing fight if we’re listening! It insults the viewers, and there’s nowhere left to go when you actually have a great fight.

Back