How freaking AWESOME was UFC 17?

so, i'm going through my garage and stumble upon some of my old ufc tapes. (yes, vhs tapes.)

i look at ufc 17 and the memories fly. This is one of the most fun to watch cards i can remember.

newton vs. Gilstrap: always fun to see carlos land a sub
newton vs. Hendo: what a great fight!! Back and forth, awesome sub attempts by carlos
chuck vs. Noe: my god can noe take a punch!
tank vs. Hugo duarte: does anyone remember the hype hugo had? Lol, tank stole his soul
pete williams vs. Mark coleman: the kick heard around the world!
frank shamrock vs. Jeremy horn: everything great about mma. Awesome, technical back and forth fight. Horn got the better of frank for much of it, but frank pulls out the kneebar.

I'm hoping someone else here is old enough to remember this classic night.

seg,.. Bitches!!

So, I'm going through my garage and stumble upon some of my old UFC tapes. (Yes, VHS tapes.)

I look at UFC 17 and the memories fly. This is one of the most fun to watch cards I can remember.

Newton vs. Gilstrap: Always fun to see Carlos land a sub
Newton vs. Hendo: What a great fight!! Back and forth, awesome sub attempts by Carlos
Chuck vs. Noe: My GOD can Noe take a punch!
Tank vs. Hugo Duarte: Does anyone remember the hype Hugo had? Lol, Tank stole his soul
Pete Williams vs. Mark Coleman: The KICK HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!
Frank Shamrock vs. Jeremy Horn: Everything great about MMA. Awesome, technical back and forth fight. Horn got the better of Frank for much of it, but Frank pulls out the kneebar.

8-coleman-o.gif

Such a brutal kick. Its been awhile since Ive seen the fight, but wasnt Pete leg kicking the hell out of Coleman before unloading the high kick?

Saw it years ago but only remember Coleman getting his faced kicked off.

Lol I obviously didn't see it live because I was like 7 but I downloaded it and it's pretty cool, also they replay some old fights in brazilian tv

The thing I remember the most was Jeremy Horn's face when he tapped. It wasn't pain or anger, it was mild annoyance at himself for getting caught, like he put an extra sugar in his coffee by accident.

So, I'm going through my garage and stumble upon some of my old UFC tapes. (Yes, VHS tapes.)

I look at UFC 17 and the memories fly. This is one of the most fun to watch cards I can remember.

Newton vs. Hendo: What a great fight!! Back and forth, awesome sub attempts by Carlos
Tank vs. Hugo Duarte: Does anyone remember the hype Hugo had? Lol, Tank stole his soul
Frank Shamrock vs. Jeremy Horn: Everything great about MMA. Awesome, technical back and forth fight. Horn got the better of Frank for much of it, but Frank pulls out the kneebar.

Man that kick to Coleman hurt. Was a huge Coleman fan and not big on the Lions Den fighters.. Then bam.. Ugh.. Loved the Tank fight as well

i was actually REALLY underwhelmed by the Newton/Hendo fight and STILL feel Newton got his ass robbed in that one. However, Pete's high kick was absolute GOLD and still serves as an awesome memory for me. Watching tank bully the fuck out of Hugo was awesome too. Duarte had all this fake hype surrounding him stemming from his feud with rickson and was supposed to be super bad ass. LMFAO - although I must say, Tank looked like he actually took that fight seriously, which in itself was baffling.

I haven't been watching that long but I trane UFC so I'm better than all of you!

I was there when Jacob wrestled the angel in Genesis

I remember Coleman brutalized Williams for about 10 minutes or so, then gassed

That would be much of Coleman's career sadly

Add improved sub defense and a gas tank, and you have a potential HW GOAT

I am a more legitimate MMA fan because I have been watching MMA longer than you have. Just take my word for it, I have nothing to gain from lying. By the way, welcome to planet Earth.

8-coleman-o.gif

Such a brutal kick. Its been awhile since Ive seen the fight, but wasnt Pete leg kicking the hell out of Coleman before unloading the high kick?

He was eating a few leg kicks then a hard knee to the forehead wich he literaly shook off only to eat that kick

Funny thing is I can't even remember the slightest detail of most of those fights. That Pete Williams kick was so shocking, it is forever etched in my brain.

From the way they talked about Duarte, you figured Tank was a lamb being led to slaughter. Duarte's Luto Livre or whatever it was sounded so intriguing and I was very curious to see him fight, until the fight.

Submission grappling was still mostly a black box to me. I knew the names of the most common subs, but still didn't really "get it" as in the positioning and setups which is probably why the Shamrock-Horn fight did not stand out to me. If I ever got around to watching that card again, that would be the one fight I would be very interested in seeing again.

Back